Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

how do you deal with the disappointment?

i didn't go last night because the '98 play off was bad enough and we won that! i applaud those who did and the heartbreak at the end must have been awful, i think i would of shot myself on the spot!

so after last night's heartache, how do you deal with the disappointment?

do you just shrug your shoulders and say it's just a game or if like me, where it's a matter of life and death, start making a noose?

Comments

• Options
    Luckily my cats were out when I got back from the pub.
  • Options
    Beer
  • Options
    Smack any plastic mug right in the gob if they say anything. Thats my way. Windmills. Glad i booked the day off, am pretty gutted and cant face plastic smeg giving it.
  • Options
    In football you go through the rough times and the good times. One day they'll good times at The Valley again just not this season. And when we get the good times back again we will enjoy and appreciate it all the more after nights like last night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]In football you go through the rough times and the good times. One day they'll good times at The Valley again just not this season. And when we get the good times back again we will enjoy and appreciate it all the more after nights like last night.

That's right and until then alcohol seems to help
  • Options
    A 2005 Bordeaux tonight will help. I'd been saving it but somehow it seems like the right moment...
  • Options
    just blame everything. something has to stick
  • Options
    Lower my expectations before the game, the disappointment is less acute then.
  • Options
    Driving back last night the iPod decided to stick the knife in, usually a bit of my top rated goes a long way to cheer me up but.....

First up was Muse's cover of Can't take my Eyes Off You, Followed by Smashing Pumpkins - Today and then by Biffy Clyro - Captain. I was very close to throwing it out on the A2
  • Options
    Feel sorry for yourself for a short period, then put it in perspective, then come back fighting stronger and more determined.

Its the only way.

And what BRE said is absolute spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just switch off. I felt very numb last night.
  • Options
    I'm guessing this thread would show vastly different results if put out on the spanner forums when they go out tonight. ;-)
  • Options
    A good old fashioned hand shandy!
  • Options
    there's more to life than football...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Lower my expectations before the game, the disappointment is less acute then.

As far as expectations are concerned, I am struggling to lower mine any further - the beer keeps me going, and the beer makes it bearable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]I'm guessing this thread would show vastly different results if put out on the spanner forums when they go out tonight. ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]A good old fashioned hand shandy!

Maybe not.
  • Options
    Difficult, but some of the things that my mate and i discussed on the way home to make us less despondent;
    - World cup soon
    - Never been to Bournmouth or Rochdale
    - opportunity to see more of the youth players
    - smaller queues at half time for beer and bogs
    - i now don't have to miss family holiday over the bank holiday, thus guaranteeing marriage until the next football match clash.
    None of this really helps !
  • Options
    I don't think I ever will get over last night or the continual stream of crushing disappointments over the past five years - Charlton is going to play a much smaller role in my life from now on.

For the record I don't think BRE is right, I do not believe we will ever have good times at the Valley again - the way football is structured makes it more or less impossible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I don't think I ever will get over last night or the continual stream of crushing disappointments over the past five years - Charlton is going to play a much smaller role in my life from now on.

I've been like that for a good while now mate.Being a Charlton fan i think you have to be.
    Only thing is it starts to diminish your interest in football on the whole altogether.And to think i used to eat, breath and sleep football.
    I'd rather watch cricket now to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Still really gutted but in a way pleased to have witnessed such an epic match.

Saved some £££'s on watching us (probably) get beat 4-0 by Millwall at Wembley so every cloud...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]there's more to life than football...
    The best post so far.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lo fi[/cite]Difficult, but some of the things that my mate and i discussed on the way home to make us less despondent;

- smaller queues at half time for beer and bogs[/b

Yes, but probably even less staff behind the bar!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Zinedine Bagheri[/cite]Still really gutted but in a way pleased to have witnessed such an epic match.

Got to agree, mate.

Overall, I've got to say that I've more enjoyed my football this season than for a few years now - especially at the away grounds where the Charlton atmosphere has often been more uplifting than at The Valley.

I don't like to think of us as a Third Division club, but that's exactly where we are right now.
    But all things pass - and whatever our financial situation right now, we've all got to dig in together.

Our time will come again.
  • Options
    I just remember that matches like last nights, regardless of the outcome, are why I love watching Charlton.

Sometimes we win, sometime lose. Hell we may even draw at times.

Then every now and again regardless of the level we play at, there are epic games that live long in the memory for good or bad. Those are the games that see us through all the depressing 0-0 bore draws, complete trouncings, dodgy refs, crap beer, crap weather that make up the lot of a football fan.

It may hurt right now but at least we were there to see it.
  • Options
    The answer lies within these very pages gentlemen, just go to the "New bird on Countdown" thread and your world will seem a much better place.

Apart from that though bring on next season.............COYR
  • Options
    24 bottles of beer, 40 Marlboro Lights, 2 grams of sniff, 4 pills & half a gram of MDMA. Otherwise known as saturday night.
  • Options
    For me - I know there are much more important things than football, doesn't stop we getting the festering hump though, but I've been here before and the good times become bigger and better.

I feel more gutted for my kids - they were toddlers in '98 and last night I just wanted us to get to Wembley for them, and that is harder for me to deal with!! But I can temper that with the fact that they support a football team for the right reason, they understand! Their mates who are ChelManArseCity just do not have the soul!!
  • Options
    We support Charlton we're used to disappointment.

Dumped out of the league cup by Hereford who finished 16th in league 2.
    Dumped out of the FA Cup on live tv by Northwich who finished 12th in the Conference North.
    Dumped out of the JPT by Pardew.
    Smashed 4-0 at Millwall.
    Palace stayed up on the last day.
    Agonisingly knocked out of the play offs on penalties after dominating the game against Swindon.
    Millwall will probably now win promotion.

In fact could this season have been any worse for disappointments?
  • Options
    acording to Mrs Goonerhater she deals with the disapointment by turning over and going to sleep !