Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Woolwich ferry

Anyone know what the traffic's like here in the mornings between 9 and 10? Starting some work across the water on Wednesday and according to AA Route Planner it's the quickest way for me. Just trying to work out what time to leave.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Anyone know what the traffic's like here in the mornings between 9 and 10? Starting some work across the water on Wednesday and according to AA Route Planner it's the quickest way for me. Just trying to work out what time to leave.

Don`t even think about it. Fraught with danger. Blackwall Tunnel I`m sorry to say is only way.
  • Sorry, no idea. But my hubby reckons we should sing;

One Woolwich Ferry, theres only one Woolwich Ferry
  • Usually a bit of a wait to use the ferry at that time of day, if there are two ferries its not too bad, but lately its been just the one and a bugger
  • Tunnel will also be extremely busy ... allow a lot of time to get through
  • edited May 2010
    I've only been on it once. Got a car back from City Airport home. Every other time they'd go through the Blackwall or the Rotherhithe. Anyway this one time I fell asleep and woke up on the ferry. I thought I'd been kidnapped off to sea to be bummed. It was quite a shock, but it all worked out fine.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Anyone know what the traffic's like here in the mornings between 9 and 10? Starting some work across the water on Wednesday and according to AA Route Planner it's the quickest way for me. Just trying to work out what time to leave.

Don`t even think about it. Fraught with danger. Blackwall Tunnel I`m sorry to say is only way.

Thanks everyone, Blackwall Tunnel instead was my first thought! I'll stick with this I think!
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]

Fortunately!
  • [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Sorry, no idea. But my hubby reckons we should sing;

Last time I counted there was three of them...

Have a couple of them sunk...?
  • It is not a proper ferry no duty free.
  • I got the ferry across for the game on Monday night. Crossed just before 6 and only waited about 10 mins... gave me chance to chill out and do some reading, far more pleasant than Blackwall...
  • Always used the ferry when we played at Upton Park, you could park the car in the queue and nip over to the mitre, whilst waiting for the ferry to dock.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite] I thought I'd been kidnapped off to sea to be bummed. It was quite a shock, but it all worked out fine.

Is that blackwall tunnel?
  • [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I thought I'd been kidnapped off to sea to be bummed. It was quite a shock, but it all worked out fine.

Is that blackwall tunnel?

Is that what they mean when they say that the Blackwall Tunnel southern approach is blocked?
  • [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Usually a bit of a wait to use the ferry at that time of day, if there are two ferries its not too bad, but lately its been just the one and a bugger

How many cars can you get on a bugger?
  • Not sure where you live but I always drive past the ferry roundabout before using the Balckwall tunnel.

As has been said if two ferries are running it's fairly quick. If it's only one it's bad - if you get beyond the traffic lights you should get on the next ferry.

There is a parking area which is used in the morning - there is a greasy spoon which serves a good bacon roll and sells papers.

The ferry is running until 10pm on Mondays to Thursdays at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Usually a bit of a wait to use the ferry at that time of day, if there are two ferries its not too bad, but lately its been just the one and a bugger

They're doing extras now?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Usually a bit of a wait to use the ferry at that time of day, if there are two ferries its not too bad, but lately its been just the one and a bugger[/quote]

How many cars can you get on a bugger?[/quote]

You could get several on Christopher Biggins
  • Plus you got the added bonus of using his arse as the third Blackwall Tunnel...
  • Anyone been across on the ferry recently between 7-9am, and know how long the wait is?

Working in Walthamstow for a few days this week and want to avoid the blackwall.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Anyone been across on the ferry recently between 7-9am, and know how long the wait is?

Working in Walthamstow for a few days this week and want to avoid the blackwall.

Been on the boat a lot recently get there between 0645 and 0700 2nd or 3rd boat at worse, mind you the "Dustbin lids" are on holiday now so that could improve.
  • edited October 2010
    Normally it's good as long as 2 boats and all 4 ramps are working.

Sadly this is not always the case.

The snack waggon in the waiting area is good value.