Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bailey Breaking His Scoring Drought

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
I've been thinking about the form running into the play-offs of certain players, Sam has been brilliant in recent weeks and I think he could be key going into the next 2 and hopefully 3 games. Randolph has also been talked about at length on here and along with Burton looking fit again our big players really seem to be playing well. Semedo has been immense and by all accounts Racon was the main man in the middle on Saturday?!
But Bailey scoring for the first time in 15 odd games at the weekend could be massive. His last goal before Saturday was away at Swindon in the 90th minute so I'm sure he'll be turning up full of confidence again. I can see him scoring and playing a massive part in the play offs now as it was clearly a massive weight off. All those missed chances will be forgotten and hopefully he'll be back finding the net over the next 2 weeks.

Comments

• If nothing else - Bailey is in the shop window so will look to impress.

Same goes for Sam, Randolph and a few others.

If they play well and we go up - maybe they stay. Good result for all
    If we stay in League 1 - they get a free transfer, wage increases and are delighted. Good result for them

All in all they are in a good position it seems
  • Agree i think scoring at the weekend will help him for our last (as you say hopefully 3) games. I think without Sam we wouldnt have beat Leeds as he just makes so many good runs. Burton hitting form is what we need as we will need to score some goals. Semedo back on form is also just what we need i think without the players mentioned here we wouldn't be were we are atm.
  • Yeah, Bailey tends to be a player who goes through patches of good and bad form, rather than being a consistent steady Eddie. Hopefully he's hitting form again. Saturday was definitely his best performance for a while I'd say and I think he's been steadily improving over the last 3 or 4 games - he looked short on confidence for a while but that seems to be coming back to him again now and the goal must help. Just a shame he missed that open goal as that seemed to knock him a bit for 5 or 10 mins.

We all know we're a much better side when Bailey's at his best so fingers crossed he continues the improvement.
  • Not Bailey but it does influence his game; know a lot of people think he's very ordinary and doesn't bring much to the table ....... but I also think Borrowdale has been a major factor in our defence conceding very few goals lately.

Okay, he doesn't have the attacking flair of Youga, Jackson or even Basey - but he holds his position very well, always shows to receive a pass, and does the simple things well.

And Bailey when playing LM doesn't usually have to give the same depth of defensive cover as he does with the more attack-minded fullbacks.

But most of all, Borrowdale is a defender that defends and keeps the shape of the team, which helps anchor the defence when other defenders get forward. Like Chrissy Powell did for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Not Bailey but it does influence his game; know a lot of people think he's very ordinary and doesn't bring much to the table ....... but I also think Borrowdale has been a major factor in our defence conceding very few goals lately.

Okay, he doesn't have the attacking flair of Youga, Jackson or even Basey - but he holds his position very well, always shows to receive a pass, and does the simple things well.

And Bailey when playing LM doesn't usually have to give the same depth of defensive cover as he does with the more attack-minded fullbacks.

But most of all, Borrowdale is a defender that defends and keeps the shape of the team, which helps anchor the defence when other defenders get forward. Like Chrissy Powell did for us.

I agree on that. He's been very good because he is a solid defender. The fact he doesn't bomb up and down the win like Roberto Carlos seems to anger some but he is rarely out of position and his dead ball delivery is very good too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]and his dead ball delivery is very good too.

Yes, spot on .... I see I forgot to include that. Overall, Borrowdale = a good loan signing.
    And I'm sure the management and team mates appreciate what he brings to the team.
  • Who do people think has been better out of Borrowdale and Jackson?
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Who do people think has been better out of Borrowdale and Jackson?

Borrowdale is without question the better and more natural defender.

Jacko is a converted winger remember, but he has flair and creative football intelligence - and a superb quality touch on the ball. I'd like to see him back at Charlton.
  • I was expecting another picture of a dog when I opened this thread!
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Who do people think has been better out of Borrowdale and Jackson?

I know its a cop out answer but they are very hard to compare for me as they are completely different type of full-back.
    The way i look at it is away at Southend we had Jackson & Reid who looked unstoppable......but away to Swindon on friday, id prefer Borrowdale & Bailey.
    Id like to have them both next year as i can see Jackson being a very good utility player, even at CC level.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Who do people think has been better out of Borrowdale and Jackson?

Borrowdale is without question the better and more natural defender.

Jacko is a converted winger remember, but he has flair and creative football intelligence - and a superb quality touch on the ball. I'd like to see him back at Charlton.

Agreed again.

I really like both of them.

Johnnie Jackson is a poor mans Andy Reid. Wand of a left foot, good touch and was very comitted.
    Borrowdale as already discussed is a steady Eddie - and a very good one at that

The problem is what would you do with Youga and Basey. Grant is well worth keeping IMO as he is young, hungry and has been here a long time. He's also versatile (can play DCM, LB, LM, CB).

Youga has also had a few appearances at CB so maybe could stay and fit in there too.

Decisions decisions
  • edited May 2010
    As Gary said, 2 different types of LB.

Team Jacko and Reid, then great combination of creative and direct attacking flair.
    But then one of the CB's has to drift across to cover, which could leave us vulnerable to the quick break.
    Verdict: defensively weaker but creates more goal scoring chances.

Borrowdale teamed with Bailey ...... defensively solid but creativity and pace not their strong point - and still opportunity for Bailey unmarked to ghost in from deep, like he did at Oldham.
    Verdict: defensively tight but lacking in flair and pace.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Johnnie Jackson is a poor mans Andy Reid. Wand of a left foot, good touch and was very comitted.
    Borrowdale as already discussed is a steady Eddie - and a very good one at that

The problem is what would you do with Youga and Basey. Grant is well worth keeping IMO as he is young, hungry and has been here a long time. He's also versatile (can play DCM, LB, LM, CB).

Youga has also had a few appearances at CB so maybe could stay and fit in there too.

All this is conjecture, of course ...... but If I was the manager, lol ...... then if I signed Jacko, I wouldn't be looking to use him at LB except in an emergency; he'd fill an Attacking CM slot or interchangeable with LM, especially if Reid was signed permanently.

All this assuming Youga recovers/stays with the club. Basey would be my LB cover.
    If Youga isn't around, then Borrowdale is perfectly sound to anchor LB.

If Bailey stays, then he can be used as LM in horses for courses, or across the midfield - but for all his goals and sometimes tigerish play, it's the quality of his 1st touch and lack of pace that sometimes lets him down, as also his natural tedancy to get forward at every opportunity which can cost team shape, when the move breaks down. Not Bailey bashing because he is a good player but needs the right combination of players around him - same as Racon; sometimes it's a question of where best to fit Bailey in the team?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I was expecting another picture of a dog when I opened this thread!

Me too.

This conversation is good, though. Hopefully Bailey will want to put his miss against Oldham right. I'd prefer to have Jackson next season to Borrowdale, but I think Borrowdale is doing a great job and has contributed to the tight defence over the last 9 games.
  • I thought we might have got a goal from Bailey on Saturday, and we nearly had two. Should do him a lot of good, and I agree I wouldn't be surprised to see him score again in the play-offs.

As for Borrowdale, he's done well. Never going to offer loads going forward, but he's surely played a part in making us more solid.

Still not sure about Jackson, there might be better players out there if we go up. Not saying he's poor, he's not, will depend on who stays and who goes. If everyone was fit, and he was with us now, I could only see him getting on the bench. We'd need squad players so maybe that's not a bad thing.
  • I'd have Youga over the pair of them - a nautral left back who wants to attack.

I think overall Borrowdale has been a good loan signing, but I'm not sure he'd be a good permanent one. He's filled a hole but I'm not sure I'd want him as a full time memeber of the squad if I was trying to build a team to take us forward.

He reminds me a lot of a non-psychotic version of Ben Thatcher. He's generally pretty solid defensively but pretty unwilling/unable to attack. That's can be okay but my problem is that if you are a full back who never get's forward you need to be very good defensively and I'm just not sure Borrowdale is. He's decent, but not outstanding and I don't think he's a positionally sound as some do. He certainly has seemed a bit prone to a simple ball over his head for the winger to run onto and I think he's been lucky not to give away a couple of penalties in games I've seen. We could do a lot worse but overall I'm not a massive fan, which is rather how I felt about Thatcher.

I think I only saw Jackson play one game so not really in a position to judge, but we do need to bring some people in the club who can produce the 'killer ball' a bit more often and his delivery from wide areas would certainly help with that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]He reminds me a lot of a non-psychotic version of Ben Thatcher.
    I've thought that as well. In the right situation, a player like that is fine. Thatcher was ok in the Prem, but once we were in the Championship, he was far too limited going forward. Could even argue he looked a worse player in the Championship because of that. We needed someone that can offer something going forward and defensively, that's why Richardson has been a good signing, even if he does make a few mistakes along the way.

Jackson I don't see as someone to play that killer ball, more like Basey in that his passing is accurate and he can put in a decent cross, rather than someone like Andy Reid that see's passes others don't.
  • Agreed Scoh, Borrowdale is good for a team who need to try and survive first and foremost - but teams going for promotion form leagues need to be able to take the game to the opposition (ideally at least) and Borrowdale doesn't really help with that.

Re Jackson - the killer ball can come from out wide though, he may not have that special pass in him but he might produce that un-defendable cross once in a while. Very similar to Basey in that respect as you say. I wish Grant was a little bit quicker - he'd be a very good young full back if he was.