Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

play off legend retires

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
sunderland play off legend michael gray has retired sfter sheff wed relegation. For our younger viewers michael grays penalty was saved by illic to send us into the premiership and the rest is history

Comments

• Charlton Legend ;)
  • "One Michael Gray, theres only Michael Gray"

I suppose he is to us what Christian Dailey is to Millwall
  • How many of the play off final players are still playing? Kevin Phillips could be the only one left?
  • Jody Craddock?
  • Shaun Newton hasn't retired yet - Wikipedia says he's without a club and training with Bournemouth.
  • I had a look for Newton as well, his wikipedia page might not have been updated in a while. Wouldn't be surprised if that was from last summer or maybe even further back than that.
  • Mark Bright is still going (not in a footballing sense) he's just boring the arse out of everyone on the bbc
  • what about danny mills? is he still playing?
  • Retired just before the start of this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris Makin and Darren Williams are down in the Northern Lower Leagues
  • And what a truly awful penalty it was, the guy's a legend.

I owe him one of the great memories of my young life in what was only my 3rd ever Charlton match. Who knows if I'd have been hooked on football and Charlton in the same way if not for that game
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]what about danny mills? is he still playing?
    dannymillswheelchair215.jpg

He'd still get in our side.......
  • Michael Gray we love you!
  • God, in the photo Michael Gray looks like he knows he's about to be blindfolded and shot.

But as Susex says above, Charlton Legend.

Thank you, Michael Gray!
  • Just rewatched the highlights yet again, still get goosebumps.

Watching the penalty again he really did just bottle it. No pace or disguise on the shot at all

In case anyone else is as obsessive as me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5C4PEFIyW4
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Just rewatched the highlights yet again, still get goosebumps.

Watching the penalty again he really did just bottle it. No pace or disguise on the shot at all

In case anyone else is as obsessive as me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5C4PEFIyW4

I'm as obsessive as you, Sussex.

I just watched the whole 6 minutes clip - not that I've never seen it before, lol

Being at Wembley that day, my whole heart stopping defining moment as a Charlton fan.
    My greatest match!
  • "It would seem that the notion of defeat is quite beyond Charlton's sensibilities".

I'll settle for that again please lads over the next couple of weeks.
  • That first touch is still the best I've ever ever seen in football, it was as if he had a magnet in his boot. Sheer class.
  • "The lows were missing the penalty for Sunderland against Charlton in 1998 in the then First Division play-off final against Charlton at Wembley. It was 6-6 and I had the penalty to keep us in the competition and, being a local boy, the pain of missing that was huge. But I would like to think I came back a better person because of that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/michaelgray/2010/05/knowing_when_to_hang_up_your_b.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Rumour has it that he had the windows of his home smashed in by disgruntled fans after the play off,was later denied but that was years later.
  • I flew back from oz for that game worth every penny still brings a smile to my face