Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where will the goals come from?

Yesterday we played one of the poorer teams in the division, after some good approach work our first goal came from a tap in after Mooney had miskicked the ball,the second came from a dreadfull goalkeeping error, besides this I can't remember the attacking part of our midfield or our stirkers having many clear cut chances.

So we now go into the playoffs against the better teams in the division, whilst our defence and midfield defenders have tightened up to form a cohesive defence there is the chance that we shall concede some goals, I just can't see where we shall score goals as our deadball play has deteriorated and our forwards don't get much service and when they do they don't score very often.

Comments

• And there was me thinking we scored twice yesterday. Silly me - those goals obviously didn't count.
  • How many goals will we need to score?
  • we are the form side,one nil or four nil i dont care,wembley glory is all i can see
  • The goals will come from Charlton... Charlton Athletic
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How many goals will we need to score?

9... we're gonna win 9-8
    keegan approach.
  • Off-it : yes silly you as you obviously didn't understand my post - we played a very poor team and one of our goals was pure luck, the other was due to a miskick - neither were due to good attacking football.

I suggest you all come down from cloud nine and get realistic, to beat Swindon and Huddersfiel/Millwall we shall need some gone attacking football which wasn't evident at Oldham.
  • I thought other than the first ten minutes we played some decen attacking football. Bailey was through on goal, Mooney was fouled twice while breaking away and there were more than a couple of flashes across the box frm Sam's side. With our defence as it is, I'm confident we'll be able to score the vital goal(s) when needed.
  • I thought our first goal was very good, and Bailey missed an open goal...

Yes we have got problems going forward, to be fair if we had a 20 goal a season man we prob would have gone up automatic, but we didnt and we dont...

The GOOD news is we are on very good form, our midfield is strong our defence is strong and our goalkeeper is palying fantastic and this side does have a goal in them, normally bailey and one from deon, forster, mooney,sodje, reid... Reids due, he smashed the post the other week...

AND these boys really want to go up, you can tell......

Get happy mate..
  • The Millwall away game aside (and we won't be playing there in the play offs), we've had very tight games against all three sides and have scored in all of them. We've proven in the last few weeks that we will give the best in the division very tough games, Leeds (1-0), Norwich (0-1, but very good performance), so whether we score many goals or not at the minute, I believe we'll keep it tight and do enough to at least get a goal or two in each game. We've had goals from the strikers, the midfield and a healthy contribution from defence too, particularly Llera and Sodje. There are many areas for the goals to come from. By contrast if you can keep Paynter and Austin quiet at Swindon, the rest of the team are very lean on the goal front (though Ward has chipped in with a few too), so Sodje/Llera and Dailly will have massive parts to play come next weekend.

Come on you Reds!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]And there was me thinking we scored twice yesterday. Silly me - those goals obviously didn't count.

for the first time in nine games we scored twice in a game. That won't be good enough in the play-offs. I agree with Lancashire Lad, it's a big concern.
  • Sponsored links:

• akpo sodje
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]And there was me thinking we scored twice yesterday. Silly me - those goals obviously didn't count.[/quote]

for the first time in nine games we scored twice in a game. That won't be good enough in the play-offs. I agree with Lancashire Lad, it's a big concern.[/quote]

F*** all we can do about it now...... might as well have a drink and hope your nerves can handle it... and we do have a goal in this team and a very tight defence...

Get Happy Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeeeeee, pretty please.........
  • OK guys - you've persuaded me

COYR 1-0 to us
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]OK guys - you've persuaded me

COYR 1-0 to us[/quote]

HOOOOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done!!!!

EIEIEIO

UP FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Off-it : yes silly you as you obviously didn't understand my post - we played a very poor team and one of our goals was pure luck, the other was due to a miskick - neither were due to good attacking football.

I suggest you all come down from cloud nine and get realistic, to beat Swindon and Huddersfiel/Millwall we shall need some gone attacking football which wasn't evident at Oldham.[/quote]

Oh I understand it alright mate. If coming down from cloud nine and getting realistic means wetting my knickers about something I have no control over and trying to find fault with everything then I'll stay where I am thanks.

[quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    for the first time in nine games we scored twice in a game. That won't be good enough in the play-offs. I agree with Lancashire Lad, it's a big concern.[/quote]

Eh? Scoring twice in a game wont be good enough in the play offs? What do you suggest then - that we score more than two? Good idea - masterstoke. Wonder if Parky has thought of that.
  • Let's not get hung up on stats. Swindon have won 1 in 6, does that make me feel we have it in the bag with our better recent form (3 wins), not at all. These games will be a whole new ball game, about nerve, bravery to take a gamble, discipline etc. We know they and us can score goals, you need just one to win a game, particularly with an experienced and tight defence.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Off-it : yes silly you as you obviously didn't understand my post - we played a very poor team and one of our goals was pure luck, the other was due to a miskick - neither were due to good attacking football.

I suggest you all come down from cloud nine and get realistic, to beat Swindon and Huddersfiel/Millwall we shall need some gone attacking football which wasn't evident at Oldham.

Oh I understand it alright mate. If coming down from cloud nine and getting realistic means wetting my knickers about something I have no control over and trying to find fault with everything then I'll stay where I am thanks.

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    for the first time in nine games we scored twice in a game. That won't be good enough in the play-offs. I agree with Lancashire Lad, it's a big concern.

Eh? Scoring twice in a game wont be good enough in the play offs? What do you suggest then - that we score more than two? Good idea - masterstoke. Wonder if Parky has thought of that.

sorry, what I meant was that for the first time in nine games we scored twice in a game. If we can't do that in the play-off's, ie only score once, I don't think two goals over two legs will be enough.
  • Off-it: we have no control over anything that Chalton do, however this site is full of us all discussing and questioning various aspects of CAFC, that doesn't mean that we are "wetting our knickers". So you stay on your cloud and I'll stay realistic - mate!
  • 2 goals and 3 clean sheets will do me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]2 goals and 3 clean sheets will do me.

or even no goals and three clean sheets eh ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    1 winning goal off someones c*ck will do me..........
  • Funny how pessimists always describe themselves as "realists".

Just can't see the point of what you were saying. We scored two goals but you seem to have just dismissed that fact. In football people make mistakes and goals come from those mistakes. That's just part and parcel of the game.

I seem to remember just about everyone saying that a certain play-off final was going to be decided by a single goal - and look what happened there. That's football.
  • I can see why it's a concern, but the other 3 clubs will all have similar things to worry about in their own team. Whether it's how they perform in big games, their defending, goalscoring, set pieces, whatever.

If we can defend as well as we have, we will have a good chance. The games will probably be close and even though we don't have a 20+ goal a season striker, we've got several players capable of scoring. Like Stu said, 2 goals and 3 clean sheets would do it.
  • edited May 2010
    Some people are negative some are positive.......

Im positive.....

And tht thing is the margins in this league are very thin ... there is not a gulf of class, there isnt massive differences in money and quality, most of it is balls ...

So really we havnt got a scooby, Bailey and Semedo( love Semedo) and Dailly and Randolph and Sam are good players at this level and if they play well, and we play well as a unit we will creat chances like we usually do, and we may take those chances( I think we will)

BUT hes the thing, we cant do anythin, not a thing, nothing, zip, zero, nada, niente about it... so if we look at the positives we know we have a good chance...

Smile people, smile, we did our job on the weekend, we were up for 10 mins, we looked good , we are in the play offs, at the beginning of the season we thought we might get relegated again, know the team are in love and really battling....

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!
  • Funny thing is that I'm one of life's optimists except for Charlton - perhaps it's my advanced years!

I do think we shall do well in the playoffs and am hopefully looking forward to going to Wembley, we have a settled team with some very experienced players but I just worry about our attacking options, but then maybe it's an advantage of having goalscorers all over the pitch rather than a 20 goal a season man up front.
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCROSS[/cite]AKPO

Gesundheit.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Off-it : yes silly you as you obviously didn't understand my post - we played a very poor team and one of our goals was pure luck, the other was due to a miskick - neither were due to good attacking football.

I suggest you all come down from cloud nine and get realistic, to beat Swindon and Huddersfiel/Millwall we shall need some gone attacking football which wasn't evident at Oldham.[/quote]

We don't need to come down from cloud nine, only the team and management do. Let us bask in optimism and glory
  • We look strong, compact and give ourselves a platform to build on during games, we're looking just about right in my opinion.
  • we are looking hard to beat as the goals against in last few games proves