Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's the situation like in Thailand?

I know there a few members based in Thailand, I was thinking about booking some flights to South East Asia over Christmas and I'm wondering if the political situation in Bangkok is still unstable.

Comments

• It's ok. There are still protesters on the street in places, but it's in very small pockets. Was out on the town in Bangkok this weekend and no bother at all. Lots of soldiers about but they are good natured, doing karaoke and taking pictures. The protesters have no beef with foreigners. Outside of Bangkok there is no problem at all. It's an amazing country - book it! If you want more detailed advice just let me know.
  • Thanks for that Dave. I've been to Bangkok so many times I find it hard to imagine civil unrest in the city. I've been to Thailand on a few occasions but my girlfriend has never been, we fancy some winter sun and Christmas on the beach.
  • searching for ladyboys?!
  • Although you have just reminded me of some ladyboy kickboxers I saw in Chiang Mai 10 years ago, I'd definitely recommend seeing that, absolutely hilarious.
  • Agree with Bangkok Dave. No sign of any trouble here in Phuket.

I'm pretty sure that tourism will be fine by next winter, though it's fairly quiet everywhere right now. The strength of the baht against European currencies is likely to be as big a problem as the political problems.
  • I was in Bangkok the week before last and there are only some areas that are a blocked. There's no problem in Pattaya or in Chiang Mai where I was last weekend. Can't imagine problems at any of the resorts, to be honest.
  • Knowing what I know about Thailand, the Thai people and Bangkok, I'll probably go ahead and book the flights. I had the suspicion that all the protests were centred in Bangkok and apart from spending a few days in the capital, I wanted to head out to Trat anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.