Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which one game cost us automatic promotion...?

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Only nine games to choose from but which one do you think we really should have won so we'd now be promoted...?

Comments

• Norwich (both) and Exeter away
  • Leyton Orient or Millwall (the 4-4 game)
  • Orient at home.
  • edited May 2010
    Thinking about it definitely Orient at home we were terrible!
  • Oldham at home. Think Mclown missed a decent chance

Or wrongly disallowed goal home to Saints.
  • Norwich at home as we dominated so much, however it is also hard to look past the Oldham home game when McLown missed all those chances only a couple of weeks after we were robbed at Carrow Road (4 points dropped there)
  • Orient

but let's not forget some points we were lucky to get ( Swindon)

overall we just missed out but I've thoroughly enjoyed this season
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Only nine games to choose from but which one do you think we really should have won so we'd now be promoted...?

Why only 9 games to choose from? We lost 8, so why 9?

Personally think Norwich last month, we've played much much worse than that this year and got 3 points in games
  • Brighton for me or Orient no balls no class in either fixture
  • We lost a game we should have won?

Orient at home - played average, but should have won.
    Norwich - played superb and should have won.

We also dropped 4 points to the Gills who are dross.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Only nine games to choose from but which one do you think we really should have won so we'd now be promoted...?

Why only 9 games to choose from? We lost 8, so why 9?

Personally think Norwich last month, we've played much much worse than that this year and got 3 points in games
    If we'd beaten Dirty Leeds away we'd have been promoted...
  • Brighton. Those goals from outside the box.

Norwich was frustrating. Orient was awful, but Brighton was the match we should've won.
  • I don't think you can pin point a single game, its that period after christmas where we just could not win that did us.
  • The disallowed goal at home to Southampton was a bad decision that cost us a win.

We all know that in the modern game even brushing the keeper is a foul so when Rob Elliot was being clattered in injury time at Norwich I was very surprised that their goal stood for Norwich to draw.
    Both those games would have given us an extra 2 points each but for suspect decisions.

Brighton & Orient at home though were the games when we really lost it.
  • Too many to count.
  • edited May 2010
    to be fair it was

Norwich
    Southampton
    Millwall
    Brighton
    Brizzle
    Orient
    Carlisle
    Colchester

that done it.

If we had won those we'd have 24 more points and be champions.
  • edited May 2010
    orient or millwall at home, but to be fair we did win/draw alot when we deserved to lose, its pointless looking back though the past is the past you cant do ought about it, also think if the fans had genuinely believed we wouldnt have dropped many points at home, as we would have willed on that extra bit of effort in the players to get over the line and would have gone up but the vast and vocal majority (my self included) didnt until it was too late.
  • Perm any one from the 6 home draws with the exception of Swindon.
  • You lot can cream yourselves whichever way you want.

Me? I've been on it for 12 hours and am completel convinced that we are going up via the play offs. FCUK YOUS!
  • Imagine Swindons version of this thread......they dropped 2 points twice against us!!!We wouldnt have even been in the mix up today if it werent for those two results.....over the course of the season we werent good enough to go up automatically....simple as guys!Leeds, have been lucky on more than one occasion but at least there fans can say they have been in the driving seat and almost thrown it away....we cant say that so i dont believe in "which game cost us automatic promotion"!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• My mum cost us aautomatic
  • The only games I can think of where we really were unlucky and deserved to get more than what we got were Southampton Home & Away and Norwich at Home, that would of put 4 points on the board at least which would of taken us up. Also to the idiots saying that McLeod cost us the Oldham game is a joke, yes he missed a good chance or two but that just wasn't our game, I mean when Kelly Youga's overhead kick hit the bar you just knew it wern't gonna be our day, and I remember distinctly people saying that we didn't even look like scoring until McLeod got on the pitch. Plus his two winners against Huddersfield and Exeter put 6 points on the board which if wern't for those we wouldn't be where we are now. Anyway let's not dwell on what might of been and simply look forward to the play-offs!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]My mum cost us aautomatic

quality!!

in all fairness, elements of these games cost us - Norwich (A), Millwall (H), Leyton Orient (H), Tranmere (H), Brighton (H), Gillingham (H), Norwich (H), Exeter (A)

conceding late goals/turning wins into draws/poor decisions/poor concentration

we got five points from that list of eight games picked from various times this season... winning any three of them would've sent us up, e.g. Holt's late goal, Schofield to make it 4-4 and the blatant handball last week at Exeter but that's football, all if's and but's
  • Brighton at home.
  • Every club in the play off positions can say the same. We've all
    gained and lost points we should and shouldn't have had along the way.
  • It was that period around the middle of the season in general that cost us. Our bad patch was very bad, both in results and performances (so I have read; I haven't been to a game this year!). But what stands out to me is the fact that all the other top teams have a twenty goal striker, often with a good back-up as well.

I have just checked and the other top five top sides each have two players in the League One top twenty goalscorers and Charlton have none.

My answer to the original question would be any of these three home games: Brighton, Orient, Norwich.
  • The draws with Gillingham were dissapointing and we battered Walsall away but these things even out.

Two last minute goals v Swindon, Leeds pushing forward to get the win and leaving gaps...
  • Exeter away
  • Both Norwich games.
  • 4 key refereeing decisions

Southampton at home- Deons goal wasn't even close to off-side
    Norwich away - 9/10 the challenge on Robbie would have been a foul but isn't given
    Bristol Rovers away- 20 seconds in and Blizzard should have seen red.
    Exeter Away. Forsters header was definatly cleared on the line by the defenders arm. 5 minutes to go and they would have also been down to 10 men

I know each team can probably say the same, but these moments were out of our hands and were all wrong. 9 points lost to poor judgement.