Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton - first pre-season friendly announced

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36078
Charlton have announced details of their first pre-season friendly of the summer - a trip to AFC Wimbledon on Saturday, July 10th (3pm).

The Wombles, who finished in eighth place in the Blue Square Premier this term, are sure to provide a tough test for Phil Parkinson's side at Kingsmeadow, and the fixture is likely to come hot on the heels of Charlton's traditional pre-season curtain-raiser at Welling United, although this has yet to be finalised.

AFC Wimbledon began life in 2002 after being founded by supporters of Wimbledon Football Club, who had relocated to Milton Keynes.

Beginning in the Combined Counties League, AFC Wimbledon have since been promoted four times in seven seasons, with their success culminating in the 2008/09 Conference South championship.

The club currently holds the all-time English record for the most consecutive unbeaten league games by any senior football club, having played 78 league matches in a row without defeat over three seasons.

Upon their foundation in 2002, AFC Wimbledon entered into a ground-sharing arrangement with Kingstonian to play home fixtures at Kingsmeadow, in the neighbouring borough of Kingston upon Thames.

A couple of familiar faces in the current Wombles squad are former Gillingham man Luis Cumbers and ex-Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford striker Nathan Elder.

Ticket details for the game will be announced in due course.

All pre-season fixtures are publicised as a guide, and could be changed at a later date.
Sounds like we might play Welling not long before as well, maybe Tuesday/Wednesday I'd guess?

Comments

• Great friendly.
  • Very Poor at Home this season, a very young squad if they don't get some experienced players in they could be in for a tough season next year (That's AFC not us BTW).
  • Are you sure we should be playing these it is not exactly fair to MK dons is it this lot have stole half their identity
  • nice one
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]nice one

my attempts on humour will continue to be this bad until you make more films, loved the Leeds one BTW
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Are you sure we should be playing these it is not exactly fair to MK dons is it this lot have stole half their identity

Agree. I think we should boycott this game.
  • I think we should continually sing ''Miiiilton Keynes, Miiiiilton Keyens''

Only fair.
  • edited May 2010
    So what can we read into this I wonder.......Dennis Wise, formerly of Wimbledon maybe involved in the organising?

Or maybe ex Wimbledon Lawrie Sanchez to be our next manager

Or maybe Ex wimbledon Vinnie Jones to arrange this as a precursor to the AEG buyout (AEG funding Vinnie's latest movie The Silent Assassin where he plays a mute nutcase. Again.)

Or maybe it's just we want a friendly we can win to atone for stumbling past Welling 1-0 a few days before

time will tell
  • I bet Rothko is wetting his knickers
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]nice one

my attempts on humour will continue to be this bad until you make more films, loved the Leeds one BTW
    Haha!

Should be a decent friendly, I'm looking forward to visiting the ground robbers!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]nice one

Haha!

Should be a decent friendly, I'm looking forward to visiting the ground robbers!

Don't bother it's shite have been there loads of times to watch Kingstonian who's ground it originally was.
  • Nice, should be a good day. Also realised that the WC does not end till the start of July and only a few days after we will have Welling and then AFC Wimbledon. Complete summer of football.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Or maybe it's just we want a friendly we can win to atone for stumbling past Welling 1-0 a few days before
    Isn't that what the friendly after the Welling game is really about?
  • The ground is right next to the Cambridge Estate which is full of the dregs of the local area. There was a boozer nearby though that has strippers that will please a few on here.
  • more will turn up for this meaningless fixture than for a proper potential promotion game tomorrow ... cranks
  • Got a large social club that will be open
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]There was a boozer nearby though that has strippers

When do the tickets go on sale?
  • Pubs called the peel, according to my afc mates its Sat 10th July
  • Pleased with this one, it should be a good day out. Have also heard that AFC are looking at taking Mambo on a season long loan.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Have also heard that AFC are looking at taking Mambo on a season long loan.
    Where did you hear that? Blue Square Prem would be a good test for him after Blue Square South football this season. Especially if we have no reserve team again next season.

Edit http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=16117&headline=Dons%20in%20talks%20to%20sign%20League%20One%20duo

On the SLP website, sounds like it's just interest at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ackworth will be creaming in his Y-fronts over this.
  • Good friendly that :)
  • This is excellent news. I'm glad we're helping out AFC. Also there will be lots of anti-Palace songs.
  • This will be good well done Charlton and Wimbledon for organising this. Shame they are not getting promoted this year. Hope they get up the football league over the next few years and MK Dons slip down that would make me happy :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Nice, should be a good day. Also realised that the WC does not end till the start of July and only a few days after we will have Welling and then AFC Wimbledon. Complete summer of football.

the WC final is the day after the AFC game, 11th July I think

If they arrange the Welling game for the Tues/Wed of the week before then chances are it will clash with the WC semi finals
  • Nice one - very local for me
  • I'll be able to cycle to this game.
  • yep well done Charlton for organising this, why not help a local club celebrating their 150th anniversary who are the 2nd oldest football club in the world and who would hugely benefit from a friendly with us instead !!!!!!!!!!.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]yep well done Charlton for organising this, why not help a local club celebrating their 150th anniversary who are the 2nd oldest football club in the world and who would hugely benefit from a friendly with us instead !!!!!!!!!!.
    Do you mean Cray? We still might, we probably have some contacts there, a few u18s have played for them in the last year or so.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]yep well done Charlton for organising this, why not help a local club celebrating their 150th anniversary who are the 2nd oldest football club in the world and who would hugely benefit from a friendly with us instead !!!!!!!!!!.

Are you on a wind up with your constant moaning all the time? Now over a friendly?????? Jesus cheer up mate!!