Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From Bovril to Champagne

Hope its ok to give a plug to a new football book written by a Charlton fan. The book is written by Matt Eastley, who some of you may know from the West Upper and he drinks in the Oak, and it is called 'From Bovril to Champagne'. It's a great read and would make great reading either on the train to work or while on the beach during the summer. This is a brief outline of what the book is about and you can buy it here

From Bovril to Champagne

There was a time, not so long ago, when the FA Cup really mattered. When fans would go to extraordinary lengths to get tickets for Wembley and when the biggest teams of the day saw the FA Cup as a 'must have' rather than a 'nice to have.' The 1970s was, quite simply, a fantastic decade for the most famous domestic competition in the world, a decade in which the wonderful 'David and Goliath' stories which were the very essence of the Cup, at last spread themselves to the final itself. Of course, football fans everywhere know the stories. The famous goals by the likes of Porterfield, Stokes, George, Webb and Osborne. The saves by Montgomery, the misses by Macdonald, the flukes by Greenhoff and Kelly and the 'five minutes of madness' of the 1979 final. But what are not known are the stories of the fans who were at Wembley to witness these amazing matches which are so fondly remembered today. This book features, first-hand, exclusive stories from the fans who were there. Fans who defied the FA's patently unfair ticket allocation to get to Wembley. The book features love, tragedy, kinship and loyalty all played out before a backdrop of pop music, television, films, news and politics. It is a book not about players and celebrities but about true football fans, many of whom regard their personal Wembley experience as one of the greatest - or worst - occasions of their life.

Thanks for reading. Martin.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good mate.
  • Options
    will be buying that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]will be buying that for everyone at CL

Henry's such a good person, top man! ;o)
  • Options
    looks good ... just ordered it
  • Options
    What 'real football' is all about.......
    Have to get this.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Fa Cup mattered in 1947! It sadly seems to have diminished dramatically in relatively no time and really is just treated as a minor distraction to league competition these days. The excitement and unpredictability the Fa Cup used to provide- the Play-off finals more than capably fill these days and they are ultimately more important too.
    The seemingly endless Chelsea v Arsenal v Manchester United v Liverpool v Aston Villa into terminal infinity are a major turn off for me. The last time we had a minnow was Cardiff City and I find it very hard to get worked up about them. Good luck with the book though.
  • Options
    i will buy it, let me also say that when the robbin stopped bobbin is fantastic
  • Options
    Matt will be talking about the book on BBC Radio Leeds very shortly this evening.
  • Options
    Will order it for sure and look forward to reading it over the summer.
  • Options
    Just finished reading it ... excellent book and I fully recommend it .. it's all about the fans and some great stories included.