Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East London Line open!

At risk of leaving myself open to accusations of a trainspotterish nature, I could barely conceal my joy when I took the East London line home from work last night. The re-opening of the line has knocked over an hour off of my journey time to work and more importantly, I no longer have to commute through Lewisham.

A limited service started yesterday, trains are running running Monday to Friday, 7 am to 8pm from New Cross to Dalston Junction until the 23 of May when the line will open down to West Croydon.

Happy days!

Comments

• Options
    At they running from new cross gate yet?
  • Options
    Happy Days indeed. When my district line tube pulled into Whitechapel last night and saw it was open, I nearly wet my pants with excitement. Can now avoid Zone 1 and my journey to Mile End from Bexleyheath by public transport is now 15 mins quicker and roughtly £70 a month cheaper too.

So clean, air conditioned, lovely.

I got a few puzzled looks when I got off my Cannon St bound train this morning at New Cross by the regulars that sit in the same seats around me lol.

Also from next year, will also make my regular journeys to WHL a damn sight quicker too, when the extension to the Library and Islington is open (one Victoria line stop away from Seven Sisters).
  • Options
    Johnboy was on the 642 cannon st this morningand did same got off and whole carriage to self lovely only down side is going home i think but saved 20 mins to whitechapel
  • Options
    Shoreditch to Surrey Quays and walk for me for the Millwall play off.

None of that London Bridge scenes from Football Factory shenanigans, just get a kicking at Surrey Quays instead :)
  • Options
    Cracking link to get to Upper Street, Hoxton, Shoreditch etc for nights out and even better for Millwall, can flit between pubs in New Cross and Surrey Docks with ease!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Happy Days indeed. When my district line tube pulled into Whitechapel last night and saw it was open, I nearly wet my pants with excitement. Can now avoid Zone 1 and my journey to Mile End from Bexleyheath by public transport is now 15 mins quicker and roughtly £70 a month cheaper too.

So clean, air conditioned, lovely.

I got a few puzzled looks when I got off my Cannon St bound train this morning at New Cross by the regulars that sit in the same seats around me lol.

Also from next year, will also make my regular journeys to WHL a damn sight quicker too, when the extension to the Library and Islington is open (one Victoria line stop away from Seven Sisters).

I plan to do the same tomorrow. I work just five minutes from Shoreditch station so it will be interesting to see how much time I save instead of continuing into CS and then walking to work from there.
  • Options
    i miss the old trains from the 70's with individual compartments, proper locomotives
  • Options
    Fantastic, will increase the price of my property and gives me a great link to Shoreditch. Happy days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Cracking link to get to Upper Street, Hoxton, Shoreditch etc for nights out and even better for Millwall, can flit between pubs in New Cross and Surrey Docks with ease!

Won't be yet, because it's only running on weekdays and shuts at 8pm, like the Jubilee Line did when it first opened.

The full service will be up and running by 23 May.

I had a sneaky ride yesterday, it's worth a trip just to gawp at the new view of London from the bridge at Shoreditch - shows how much this city's changed in the past few years.
  • Options
    Why wasn't this open when I lived a walk from Anerley Station and worked in Hackney.

Now they just need to extend the DLR from Lewisham via Grove Park to Bromley North.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Now they just need to extend the DLR from Lewisham via Grove Park to Bromley North.
    That's never going to happen, and why would you want it when it's quicker to get a train to Lewisham (via Grove Park) than the DLR there? I don't think you realise how slow the DLR is!

Besides, I like to have a seat in the morning and don't want my DLR to be polluted with Bromley boys. ;-)

The grand plan for the overground is to have a ring linking other lines, will take a lot of congestion off of Zone 1.
  • Options
    Yes, yes, yes, it's all well and good talking about your journeys being quicker, but what's the new rolling stock like?
    *dribbles
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Now they just need to extend the DLR from Lewisham via Grove Park to Bromley North.
    That's never going to happen, and why would you want it when it's quicker to get a train to Lewisham (via Grove Park) than the DLR there? I don't think you realise how slow the DLR is!

Besides, I like to have a seat in the morning and don't want my DLR to be polluted with Bromley boys. ;-)

The grand plan for the overground is to have a ring linking other lines, will take a lot of congestion off of Zone 1.

yeah hasn't Boris binned that part, as well as the East london river crossing, doesn't stop him taking credit for Kens East London line though I guess.

:)
  • Options
    Yes it should all be wonderful in 20 years time!......
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the new link doesn't avoid zone 1, as was the original plan - Boris and the government stuck Shoreditch High Street station in zone 1 to raise funds to compensate the private rail companies for the income they'll lose from the East London Line extension.

The ring will be completed in 2012 when you'll be able to go from Surrey Quays-Queens Road Peckham-Peckham Rye-Denmark Hill-Clapham Junction (and from there up to Shepherd's Bush, etc) - the line will run along the footpath from Surrey Quays to the Toolbox.

There's plenty of to-ing and fro-ing about whether or not it'll include a station at Surrey Canal Road. Lewisham Council's offered to pay for it, not the first time Lewisham taxpayers have had to cough up to help the Spanners...
  • Options
    Inspector - yep gotta wait until next season for the benefits of it.

With regards to the surrey canal road station, I did hear a whisper that it would be shut on matchdays. Mainly due to help policing away fans who would have another option to avoid police detection.
  • Options
    I cant uderstand why they can't extend it to Bromley North. I still will have to cahnge a Grove Park Change at Lewisham and change again at New Cross It's only 6 Stops
  • Options
    have used it the last two days and it's pretty good. Will be better in a month when the trains are more frequent. Having sciatica at the moment it cuts my walking time to Cannon Street right down as I'm about five minutes from Shoreditch High St. Whether I'll continue to use it once my sciatica has cleared up I don't know.
  • Options
    Used it last night and this morning. Had to wait 5 minutes at New Cross Gate btu was still really quick.

Not sure about the pattern on the chairs though!!
  • Options
    I have giggled to myself the last 3 mornings, seeing the number of people that sprint off the BH to Cannon St service and make a run for the EL Overground. Someone please tell them that the EL Overground runs to a specific timetable and the trains leave at the same time every morning. Its not like the old EL line where just as you got off the train, the next tube pulled out of the station!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    why do none of the Oyster Card readers work on the platform at New X. I got charged £6 at Shoreditch when I got off and then spent ten minutes at the ticket office sorting it out. Do they not realise that we don't all go through the barriers at New X.
  • Options
    summer is here - just a minute away from Shadwell station I saw a pair of terns yesterday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]I cant uderstand why they can't extend it to Bromley North. I still will have to cahnge a Grove Park Change at Lewisham and change again at New Cross It's only 6 Stops
    You can get a train from Grove Park directly to New Cross. I agree that they should have trains from Bromley North directly to London though.

Oyster card's readers worked fine for me on the old East London line, must be suffering teething problems.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]why do none of the Oyster Card readers work on the platform at New X. I got charged £6 at Shoreditch when I got off and then spent ten minutes at the ticket office sorting it out. Do they not realise that we don't all go through the barriers at New X.
    Oyster cards - I don't use mine often so don't know much about them - are platform readers for people switching lines but not exitting through the barriers?