Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has the lack of a regular reserve team been a false economy ...?

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
I posted on another thread:

" IMO a lack of a regular reserve team has been a false economy - and cost us dear in many ways this season."

I know it had been a difficult winter with pitches taking heavy punishment from the weather, so otherwise there may have been more occasional reserve friendlies.

But with Leon McKenzie's fitness issues for example and no doubt many others not getting the chance to gain full match fitness before being expected to play a 1st team role - plus out of form and bench players not getting 90 minute run-outs, has having no regular competitive reserve football been a false economy?

Jonjo, Solly, Waggy, Llera and the reserve keeper for example, desperately need to be playing regularly to keep them sharp.

In the "immortal words of Nolly: Discuss".

Comments

• Options
    We've also seen Stavrinou and Mambo spend most of the season out on loan. Though you can argue first team football is far better for them anyway.

There are problems with the reserve leagues, they're quite small so games aren't regularly played, in fact they brought in cups to help with that. A lot of u18 games were called off earlier in the year as well, can imagine a few reserve games would have been as well. Still, we'd have got more games than reserve friendlies.

The money to play at Ebbsfleet or wherever would have also had to come from somewhere.

It may well have helped, but a signicant amount? Very hard to say. I'd have liked them to have kept it, and we know Parky wanted them to, but the board hoped we could get by with friendlies, and if we win the playoffs we'd have done that.
  • Options
    I completely agree, feel we should have kept a reserve team in the reserve league. but i dont know the financial implications that would of had on us if any?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My feeling at the time was that it was the wrong decision but that said I couldn't come up with another suggestion as to where economies might be made other than the off - limits reducing our 3 (at the time) Chief Executives which may not have saved enough.

Hence I didn't really comment.
  • Options
    We had a reserve team last year and we were piss poor then, so maybe the correlation isn't as obvious. I'd say that maybe the lack of friendlies has been a problem, but I've no idea why that has been. Where it might be an issue is with U18s not getting in to mix it with the older lads. Though maybe that'll be a benefit. Who knows.
  • Options
    Cheers for the response, guys.

I did acknowledge that it had been a bad winter for pitches - but that aside, many players in the squad are just not getting regular competitive football yet expected to perform in the 1st team when called upon.

How can they be at their best in a vital 1st team role when lacking full match-fitness?
  • Options
    My view expressed elsewhere, is that players like Shelvey would have developed more and ultimately spent more time in our 1st team if we had had a reserve team and they would have been ready fort he team when they got picked. That said, i don't know how much we would have had to pay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Cheers for the response, guys.

I did acknowledge that it had been a bad winter for pitches - but that aside, many players in the squad are just not getting regular competitive football yet expected to perform in the 1st team when called upon.

How can they be at their best in a vital 1st team role when lacking full match-fitness?
    My view is that reserve football is seen as (never been a pro so I'm only going on what the media blowhards say, to be fair) a very poor second to proper competitive football, so closed door reserve friendlies could probably do the same job. Totally agree that players are coming back into the first team with only training under their belts, which can't be great.
  • Options
    At one of the meetings with supporters Richard Murray was questioned about this situation and said if anyone had a spare £100 grand to invest we could have a proper reserve team playing competitive football.
  • Options
    In some ways it has benefited players as they have had to go on loan, especially Mambo and Stav who seemingly have thrived on loan. However players like McKenzie, Solly and Shelvey have lost out as they have needed some game time to get fitness/sharpness or at least maintain it. Also players like Jack Clark could have done with more reserve games as I can only guess but I would be surprised to see him get a new deal.

However it could perhaps be seen that it has cost a couple of the players a better chance at a pro deal, is it Pell or Bellamy that is at Hastings and people here have commented we may regret releasing him (in the pro deal thread there were some comment relating to how one of their releases could be a mistake). Maybe with a reserve league, our coaches would have seen him against a better standard of oppositon on a more regular basis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]However it could perhaps be seen that it has cost a couple of the players a better chance at a pro deal, is it Pell or Bellamy that is at Hastings and people here have commented we may regret releasing him (in the pro deal thread there were some comment relating to how one of their releases could be a mistake). Maybe with a reserve league, our coaches would have seen him against a better standard of oppositon on a more regular basis.
    Actually most of the u18s have gone out on loan, some for only a few games, others for several months, like Pell and Mambo. It was Large who said he really rated Pell, it was him at Hastings, and Bellamy's played a few games there as well (and at other clubs). The problem is although he might be a decent player, if we've still got most of our CMs next season, or sell a couple and replace them, he would struggle to get on the bench. They look to keep them if they're talented, have the right attitude and there's a decent chance of getting in and around the first team.

I went to a reserve game last season when we played Brighton, they had a lot of younger players there. Also went to Lewes but it was called off. I'd say the reserve league probably has a very mixed standard, depending on how the fixtures fit in with first team games. At least with friendlies, you can pick and choose who you play, so the club know the sort of quality to expect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some players are not ready for loans and perhaps (i am only speculating) this has hindered them more than helped. They have had no choice but to go on loan and like Waggy last year at Bournemouth and Northwich, were not ready. Imho I believe that a reserve league would have given the younger players a consistent structure rather than the odd friendly and then being shipped off to somewhere for a couple of weeks. Tuna for example has been to 3 non league clubs and only spent a month or so at each.
  • Options
    At one of the meetings with supporters Richard Murray was questioned about this situation and said if anyone had a spare £100 grand to invest we could have a proper reserve team playing competitive football......

Bit too simplistic for me that reply.....and I am surprised by Richard Murray.
    Without going overold ground here, how much did we waste on players like JFH, Rommadahl, and many others, Gibbs,etc,etc and the numerous loanees that were not cheap!. I will leave it there because it is easy to make easy remarks after the event! eh Richard. I understand that you wanted JFH personally! or so the myth machine goes........

That all aside, the future of Charlton is in the young players, and the more exposure that they have will in my opinion be the determining factor of how Charlton improve as a team, and squad.
    You either believe in young players, that can be developed, or you do not!. No magic formula, but I think we have some good young players, wether they develop is of course a gamble but regular football at a competitve level is better than any amount of training, and how does a young player show he is capable of playing at a higher level than playing in matches, albeit freindly, or reserve games.
    Obviously my opinion is different to that of the Chairman's, and the bottom line is he holds the purse strings......
  • Options
    £100k to keep it running would definitely have been advisable IMO

I think we've suffered for having no ressies this year
  • Options
    How much do / did Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin earn?

More than £100k I fancy between the 3 of them.

In the Premiership we had Peter Varney and Nigel Capelin. Why do / did we need 3 Chief Exec types in division 3?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]How much do / did Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin earn?

In the Premiership we had Peter Varney and Nigel Capelin. Why do / did we need 3 Chief Exec types in division 3?

Never mind that, how much is a certain non playing French right back earning?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]How much do / did Waggott, Kavanagh and Capelin earn?

That as well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]

That as well!
    No doubt Peterborough and Exeter aren't paying McLeod and Fleetwood's wages in full either.