Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PFA League One team of the year

Bailey & Richardson both in it.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, I would not have neccesarily put many of our players up for a "Team of the Year" apart from Semedo.

Bailey had his best football in the first half of the season and Richardson missed a reasonable amount of time with injuries.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Interesting, I would not have neccesarily put many of our players up for a "Team of the Year" apart from Semedo.

Bailey had his best football in the first half of the season and Richardson missed a reasonable amount of time with injuries.[/quote]

Surprised at Richardson - reputation rather than performance. Bailey, well some think he is great others over rated, obviously his peers feel the former and lets face it they should know more than me.
  • Options
    Pretty shocked at Richardson.

He has improved, but distribution is still often pretty terrible in my opinion.
  • Options
    Strange that both won't even be our own player of the year.

Sums these things up really.
  • Options
    Kin hell you lot are never happy

Well done both
  • Options
    Well done both though
  • Options
    2 Charlton
    3 Southampton (one signed mid season having played for MK Dons)
    2 Leeds
    1 Carlisle
    3 Norwich

Kelvin Davis (Southampton)

Kelvin has played a big part in what has been a fine campaign for Saints despite their ten-point deduction for falling into administration. Less than 12 months ago, he turned down the opportunity to join West Ham, instead deciding to sign a three-year contract with the Saints.

Frazer Richardson (Charlton)

There were a few eyebrows raised when Leeds United released Richardson last summer but what has been the Yorkshire outfit’s loss has definitely been Charlton’s gain as the 27-year-old has enjoyed an outstanding season at right back for the promotion-chasing Addicks.

Patrick Kisnorbo (Leeds United)

The serious Achilles tendon injury suffered by Kisnorbo last month cruelly brought to an end what was a stand-out season for the Australian international - and with it his dreams of playing in the World Cup finals – who Simon Grayson describes as a ‘warrior-type leader’.

Gary Doherty (Norwich)

Veteran defender Gary appeared to be on his way out of Carrow Road at the end of last season but the Republic of Ireland international has thrived this term under the guidance of City boss Paul Lambert as the Canaries prepare for a return to the Championship.

Ian Harte (Carlisle)

Ian has always had a good goalscoring record but his tally this term represents the best return of his long career. The former Leeds United and Republic of Ireland international is closing in on 20 goals for the campaign which is a remarkable total for a defender.

Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)

The Norwich midfielder continues to be a revelation, operating in behind the two strikers for Paul Lambert’s men. With City in such free-scoring form this term, the 27-year-old could yet break the 20-goal barrier between now and the end of the campaign.

Jason Puncheon (Southampton)

Attacking midfielder Jason Puncheon enjoyed a successful loan spell at MK Dons earlier this season, but his impressive performances didn’t go unnoticed by Southampton and the 23-year-old was signed by the Saints from his parent club Plymouth in January for an undisclosed fee.

Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United)

Leeds may have had their problems since the turn of the year, but arguably their most consistent performer this season has been exciting young winger Snodgrass.

The 22-year-old Scot has already reached double figures for the campaign and his silky skills on the flank have led to the former Livingstone player being linked with a number of Premier League clubs.

Nicky Bailey (Charlton)

Nicky continues to pull the strings in midfield for promotion-chasing Charlton in what has been an outstanding season for the 25-year-old.

The former Southend player was linked with a string of teams in January, but Addicks’ boss Phil Parkinson was adamant that his man was going nowhere. “He is our captain and it would be great if he led us back to the Championship.”

Rickie Lambert (Southampton)

Rickie Lambert has been a revelation for Saints since joining from Bristol Rovers last summer and he has already broken the 30-goal barrier. Manager Alan Pardew has been delighted with Lambert’s all-round contribution, not just his goals, and rates him as ‘the best player in the division in terms of his position’.

Grant Holt (Norwich)

City skipper Holt has also reached the 30-goal mark in what has been a brilliant second half of the campaign for the high-flying Canaries.

Now Holt has his sights set on Terry Allcock’s club record of 37 in a season. “First and foremost, the most important thing is to get promoted and win the league, but I want to beat it,” he said.
  • Options
    Well done to both.

No idea if there's a better right back in the league, Richardson's done the job while having some poor games along the way.

Bailey I guess was always going to get in there ahead of Semedo. He simply has the biggest reputation out of all ou players. He's known as our best player outside of the club, and fair enough there are good reasons for that. Apart from Shelvey he's possibly the only player we could get £1m or more for.

Looking at that team, it would have a nice balance with Semedo in there.
  • Options
    Swindon and Millwall must be a bit miffed
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Swindon and Millwall must be a bit miffed[/quote]

Voting was carried out in Feb, I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to both.

Is this award voted for by the players in the league or by a panel?
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's voted for by the players. Hard to argue with that team. Well done to both.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If its by the players then cant argue with that.

Think Richardson and Bailey are the type of players that have very good performances that would stick in the oppo's mind when it comes to casting votes. For example, Richardson had some outstanding performances at the beginning of the season, getting forward often from right-back. Although Semedo has been our best performer, he has been consistently good rather than Bailey, who has won us points with his goals in a few games.
  • Options
    If voted for the players then i'm surprised as i got the impression that Bailey is universally hated by every other player !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]If voted for the players then i'm surprised as i got the impression that Bailey is universally hated by every other player !

There is, as the Persuaders sang, a thin line between love and hate : - )

His goals, his tackling, his moaning all mean that he's the sort of player others will notice and it seems recognise.
  • Options
    I'm shocked Nicky Bailey is 25, he's had a hard life!
  • Options
    The votes were cast in Jan or Feb, so not exactly accurate.

Even so, I'd struggle to argue for many Millwall players. Our defence has been outstanding though, so you'd think Dunne or Robinson may have had a shout.
  • Options
    I'd say Semedo should be in with a chance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcjames[/cite]I'd say Semedo should be in with a chance

Vote has already been made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]If voted for the players then i'm surprised as i got the impression that Bailey is universally hated by every other player !

There is, as the Persuaders sang, a thin line between love and hate : - )

His goals, his tackling, his moaning all mean that he's the sort of player others will notice and it seems recognise.

Or even as The Pretenders sang :-)