Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drama In The Air - Flying Fears

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think the brace thing is true.

If your 10,000 feet under the sea I dont think it matters whether you are sat up straight or not.

Happy flying.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely loved flying on planes up until I was about 14, when on the way to Florida our plane had to make an emergency landing somewhere in North America, in a USAF base. Had a 2 hour wait sitting in an aircraft hanger whilst the Engineers done their stuff. So off we went again, pilot aborted the take off twice, the second time when it felt like we was already in the air. At that point, I realised I wasnt indestructable and just wanted to go home. Third time lucky finally got up in the air and then we had an aborted landing at Florida a few hours later due to a lightning storm. I thought I'd met my maker.

Had a few lads holidays with AFKA and co mid 90s and coped just about but then didnt get on a plane again until 2005 with the ex-wife, really didnt enjoy the 4 hour flight to Lanzarote. 2007 had my stag do in Barcalona, AFKA will tell you I didnt feel too great on the plane. He was a damn sight braver than me lol.

However, nothing will ever compare to how I felt on my way to see Spurs play PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA cup a few years back. Got to Gatwick for my 7am Easyjet flight. Flight delayed by 2 hours, no one knowing the reason why. Finally got a gate number. Walked down to the gate then we were told that the flight had been delayed because there was a force 8/9 gale going on at Amsterdam Airport and we wouldnt be able to land. So we had to wait at the gate until the satellite forecast said it was safe. After an hour wait, we were rushed onto the plane in super quick time and was in the air within 5 minutes. Never boarded and taken off so quickly before.

Take off was fine and the journey was ok til about halfway across the North See. OMG it was like a roller coaster for the last 20-30 mins of the flight. Never known turbulence like it. Dozens of people screaming OMG we're gonna die etc etc, I literally shat myself, I grabbed the indian guy sitting next to me about 3 times and didnt even know him. It was awful. Finally landed at 'Dam. Never felt so relieved to get off that plane but that cured me of my fear of flying. Knowing I got through that ok, I knew flying was ok again. Have been on a plane half a dozen times since and I've been absolutely fine.

Oh and to add to that, I'm dating a lass who was injured in the City Airport crash last year, on her way back from working in Amsterdam. The experience never bothered her and she was back on a plane within 2 weeks of the crash. She's braver than me lol.
  • Options
    I was told they tell you to get in the brace position as it would brake your neck if you crash landed killing you instantly rather than you having to die in the explosion or something.

Doesn't sound very plausible though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I was told they tell you to get in the brace position as it would brake your neck if you crash landed killing you instantly rather than you having to die in the explosion or something.

Doesn't sound very plausible though.

cant believe some of the shi*e on here especially after post #9
  • Options
    Have a good time choice :-)
  • Options
    Choice

Maybe - maybe - it would help you if you read this Pilots forum. Yes they discuss the things that go wrong, but after a while you will get the impression that pilots are among the most thoroughly professional people going. When the ash cloud came, it made fascinating reading.

I always fly BA over a low cost when i can, mainly because I know how much thorough training they get, and how proud they are of it (I used to have a stewardess girlfriend). Remember that one that crashlanded at Heathrow just missing the A30? The people who knew said the captain deserved a medal the size of a frying pan, but he and his crew came on TV to do a modest press conference and then he took them all off for a curry. Professionals to the last.

I fly frequently within Europe, and actually I think that the number of bumpy flights has decreased compared to 20 years ago. Maybe technology gives them increased chances to fly around bad weather. I'm struggling to think of a flight recently that was anything more than slightly uncomfortable in places - and I am not naturally comfortable about flying at all. I'd choose my airline with safety in mind whereas others just think I'm neurotic.Whereas driving from Prague to Brno on the D1 - really, I would do anything to avoid that.

And finally, while no one wants to admit it, your car journey to and from the airport is infinitely more risky than the plane journey itself. Boring but true.
  • Options
    Good point about BA PragueAddick, that's precisely the reason I use them as much as I do ... they are always my first choice.
  • Options
    I am on a plane roughly every fortnight, in the last 5 years - 150+ return flights through the harsh Canadian winters, through the turbulent summer months of electrical storms & tornadoes over the prairies, countless times over the Rocky Mountains with all the mountain updrafts & turbulence that entails, flight attendants strapped in 45mins prior to landing etc - I cant remember anything of any note happening.....
  • Options
    do you think a fear of flying is a result of being a control freak? because when you are in control of a vehicle you would never have a fear of travelling before getting in the car.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]do you think a fear of flying is a result of being a control freak? because when you are in control of a vehicle you would never have a fear of travelling before getting in the car.

if that was the case choice you should perpetually be in fear of doctors, dentists, all electrical appliances, food manufacturers, other car drivers, etc etc etc

i would say airplanes operate under the most controlled systems anywhere on the planet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We flew to Lanzarote, the plane was full of tanked up Geordies giving it large and as we banked into our approach a sudden gust of wind nearly tipped us right over...

The Geordie boys squealed like little girls and the stench of shite was nauseating...

We made three approaches and on the final one the wind was so bad that just as we were about to touch down the plane started to skew around and it seemed like we were going to reverse in...

Worst landing of my life...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]We flew to Lanzarote, the plane was full of tanked up Geordies giving it large and as we banked into our approach a sudden gust of wind nearly tipped us right over...

The Geordie boys squealed like little girls and the stench of shite was nauseating...

We made three approaches and on the final one the wind was so bad that just as we were about to touch down the plane started to skew around and it seemed like we were going to reverse in...

Worst landing of my life...[/quote]

Must have left several skid marks? ;)