Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Addicks undecided on striker's future

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8115025.Addicks_undecided_on_striker_s_future/

Comments

• Obviously Parky has to say something like that at the moment, but I expect he'll be leaving and I'd hope whatever league we're in next season we'll have better strikers than Fleetwood.

Nothing against him, but he's simply not good enough. Seen him a few times but his record and lack of regular starts at Exeter backs that up.
  • Lots of decisions to make on the striker front. Is Deon's contract up this summer? And what of Sodje and Mooney? I'd have thought it's pretty clear that Fleetwood will be surplus to requirements regardless of the future of the those 3.
  • edited April 2010
    Its gonna depend who's left (however he could be the only one left as the rest are out of contract) but no hurry as he has a year left..

(could be that playing for a relegation threatened side in League 1 is good practice for next year)

:D
  • five goals in League 1 ain't that great but he heasn't played regularly. Good job we replaced him with those prolific goalscorers Mooney & Sodje who have got, oh, 5 goals each in League 1. So if Fleets is surplus to requirements then so are those two in my opinion.
  • We've still got Super Mac to come home from Posh.

Has he still got a further year to run on his contract?
  • Super Mac?? He'd be better off selling Big Macs....

Who is our striking scout? Roy Orbison?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Super Mac?? He'd be better off selling Big Macs....

Who is our striking scout? Roy Orbison?[/quote]

Ray Charles
  • Stuart who?? More inspired Pardooery! Save a few quid and give him a free transfer and sack McLeod for being the worst striker since that guy Souness signed for Southampton who played 5 minutes.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]five goals in League 1 ain't that great but he heasn't played regularly. Good job we replaced him with those prolific goalscorers Mooney & Sodje who have got, oh, 5 goals each in League 1. So if Fleets is surplus to requirements then so are those two in my opinion.
    Can look at it like that, and I'm not a fan of Mooney and Sodje either, but they do have more to their game than Fleetwood.
  • Akpodje I wold definitely choose over Fleetwood, the goal record is not dissimilar plus Akpo's a big lump and has the physical threat to him whereas the majority of League 1/Championship CBs would eat Fleetwood up for breakfast.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we do not go up and finances are as bad as believed, then we should probably keep Fleetwood.

Won't be able to afford many better, he is not worth much and could be used as a decent impact sub (lots of pace, not a bad finisher etc). Also could work well with a target man alongside him ie Burton, Akpo!
  • Trouble with Akpodje is he's never fit. Has he completed a 90 minutes yet without starting and or ending with some kind of injury? I think we've seen flashes from him that he can be a real handful when he's fully fit and would score a reasonable number of goals with the right kind of service. Trouble is, how long can we expect him to stay fully fit? It's not like he's been unlucky with a few bad injuries, it's been a string of niggly injuries which is never a good sign.

We may be stuck with him whatever happens - aren't we contracturally obliged to sign him if he plays a certain number of games this season?

As for Fleets, Mckenzie and Mcleod - get shot ASAP. Mooney I like in many ways and he could have his uses in League 1 but he needs work - can he bulk up a bit and find half a yard of pace or is he at his peak physically? If he can he'll be a good player, if not he'll only ever be a bit part player.

Even Forster comes with a bit of a question mark given his age and has he been that impressive or just better than the dross we've become used to?

You'd probably say only Burton is guaranteed to be wanted next season by Parky.
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry, more deadwood..... needs shifting, I would get rid of Akpo as well, cannot afford these players in this division, not good enough in a higher division, take your choice......
  • get rid of them all - half of them couldn't hit a banjo with a barn door and the other are sick notes.

we have to invest in some new strikers... not freebies or rejects but actually spend some money on two strikers who can do the business. we don't have break the bank; there are players out there who should be affordable. for example; Adam Le Fondre an Brett Pitman. both have gotten 20+ goals in the past couple of seasons and both are still young and have the potential to get better. we could probably get both for under £500k. surely we could scrape that together.
  • Stebo, we have NO money. None.

We can't buy players.
  • embarrasing aint it.
  • get mcleod, moo2, spring, dickson, fleetwood, sinclair, mckenzie off the wage bill and that would free up quite a bit. and if we're not going to play shelvey then we might as well cash in on him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]get mcleod, moo2, spring, dickson, fleetwood, sinclair, mckenzie off the wage bill and that would free up quite a bit. and if we're not going to play shelvey then we might as well cash in on him.
    We'll be able to release some of them but will anyone want to buy McLeod and Yassin?

Stay down and the wage bill will go down, rather than free up money to buy players with. Go up and we'll probably just have a higher wage budget than we would if we stayed down. Can't see how we'll be able to spend money without investment, even if we do get a few decent fees for 2/3 players.