Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Original Wag

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
My aunt is 94 and lives in Woolwich in a sheltered accomodation. In 1938 ( ish ) she was courting a Charlton player called Sid Hobbins. She remembers he got signed on professional forms and as they were walking through Eltham High Street and everyone was coming up and shaking his hand. Now 94 and as sharp as ever she remembers how he told her he was better than Sam Bartram and would prove it. He was at Charlton for 10 years making 2 appearances.
Bit like Bob Bolder at Liverpool.

Comments

• And Kevin Lisbie....apparently
  • Lovely story masicat.
  • went on to set up Welling Utd I think
  • Sounds like he was the Cory Gibbs of his era
  • his family still run welling united (i think)
  • but masicat please dont follow this story up with how can you get tickets for leeds /norwich game. :-)
  • Curb_It - - I have a spare for tomorrow, and 2 spares for Leeds. ....................
  • Now coming up to her 98th birthday and we stopped off at the club shop today. She
    was amazed how the ground had changed, may get her down for a game when she reaches 100. She mentioned her old boyfriend Sid Hobbins again, anyone know what happened to him, very little available online.
  • What a great name, evoking a past era - Sid Hobbins. Wasn't a Hobbins the manager of Welling until the early 1990s?
  • masicat said:

Now coming up to her 98th birthday and we stopped off at the club shop today. She
    was amazed how the ground had changed, may get her down for a game when she reaches 100. She mentioned her old boyfriend Sid Hobbins again, anyone know what happened to him, very little available online.

Think this might help.

http://footballmanagement.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/hmrc-v-welling-united/
  • Sponsored links:

• Syd Hobbins played in the 1943 war cup final for Charlton v Arsenal - There is footage on Youtube although it's painful viewing for the Addickted (ahem, 1-7!).
  • Syd Hobbins played in the 1943 war cup final for Charlton v Arsenal - There is footage on Youtube although it's painful viewing for the Addickted (ahem, 1-7!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWMcvGQxk4
  • What a great bit of film! I reckon old Sid was on a bung, mind. He chucked at least two of them in.
  • Was he good with his hands?
  • went on to set up Welling Utd I think

Yep with his two boys Barry and Graham. Knew Sid well back in the early 70's as I played for Welling United back then. Barry still Chairman at Welling I believe.
  • I can see why he only made 2 appearances :-)
  • Watching that footage: I love how the commentators used to build you up, only to tell you the final score as soon as the match kicks off.

Maybe MOTD should give it a try?......................
  • My aunt said he wasn't very good, smoked too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

Now turned 99 and looking forward to a trip to the Valley for her 100th.

Do we know of any ex-Charlton players who've racked up the century?
  • masicat said:

Now turned 99 and looking forward to a trip to the Valley for her 100th.

Do we know of any ex-Charlton players who've racked up the century?
    I'm not aware of any.

Sailor Brown and Eric Lancelotte survived well into their nineties I believe but that's as much as I know.

Is Arthur Turner still alive? I read a while ago that he was the sole survivor from the 1946 and 1947 FA Cup teams.

If he is he must be 90 plus I would have thought.
  • Passed away last week at Len Clifton House in Woolwich Barracks Road at the age of 99. Wonderful lady
  • Ah, sorry to hear that mate.

Still, 99 is a fantastic innings. Sounds like a great lady.

All the best
  • Sounded a real character. Sorry for your loss Masicat. RIP
  • First substitute & first WAG - we're trend setters !

RIP