Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southend Stay of execution

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
This could yet have an impact on our season. They have been given 7 days to pay inland revenue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8617704.stm

If they go into liquidation the points get wiped. Hopefully unlikely but we would be hit worst having beaten them twice.

Charlton, Norwich and Colchester would lose 6 points
Leeds, Millwall, Swindon and Huddersfield would lose only 4

Comments

• My normal reacion would be "fcuk em", but not if that fcuks us.
  • cant see it happening. Not this close to the end of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: freddyf105[/cite]They're not being closed- the only reason it's come to this is because of a disagreement between HMRC and Southend over how much they owe. Southend claim that £126,000 of the £400,000 is not applicable and should not have to be paid.

Tell that to the beak!

Fact is they are seriously fooked. I can understand us falling from grace on the hurry up and not being able to pay the piper, but how the fcuk did Southend get so much in debt so quickly???
  • edited April 2010
    Agree with Gary ....... it would be grossly short-sighted of HMRC to wind up Southend in just 7 days - and impact so unfairly and severely on 23 other League clubs, with just 3 weeks of the season still to play.

The financial repercussions on the other clubs of League One could be huge and totally distort the futures of some of those clubs for next season.

HMRC could just as easily call a projected winding up order for say 24 days time.
    It's at their discretion after all.
  • Agreed unlikely but HMRC don't tend to take footballing matters into account
  • Sounds like shite to me.

That's my taxes they're keeping - so fcuk em!
  • Southend United have confirmed to Sky Sports News they paid ₤378,500 in outstanding tax debt last week and the club will not be wound up at the High Court.

The club's lawyers will be in the High Court on Wednesday, when they expect the winding-up petition to be struck off as a formality.

Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin is now looking forward to the future and has defended the manner in which he has handled the situation.

"I'm really positive about the future of the club," Martin told The Echo. "When people look back at this in the future they will say this is just a blip. The world has been in financial turmoil and I'm not immune to it.

"I could have made people redundant and reduced the wage bill, but I chose not to. Would I have had an easier ride if I'd done that? Absolutely, yes.

"I've made life difficult for myself by looking for investment in the club and keep its progression into the new stadium.

"The financial meltdown has hindered the club's progress. What we have avoided is administration. That would have meant a lot of people would lose money.

"I'm not going to please everybody all of the time. In the fullness of time, I will deliver all of what I have said.
  • For god sake new found dislike for this club after how their fans have treated Bailey we made so much more noise than them at the away game anyway crap club but if they now cause more problems for us i will not be happy.
  • To be honest they're not a proper club really are they. It would be like Welling, Dartford or Ebbsfleet playing in the Football League - the majority of people who go to the games only do so if the club they actually support aren't playing - Another Gillingham really!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]To be honest they're not a proper club really are they. It would be like Welling, Dartford or Ebbsfleet playing in the Football League - the majority of people who go to the games only do so if the club they actually support aren't playing - Another Gillingham really!

Exactally right my friend. They have no fans of their own just West Ham fans who are too scared to live were their club is based. You could put me in that category i here you all say however i was broought up round the area and moved to Kent at 17 with parents and diddnt have a choice :-(
  • What on earth do they want with a 20k + stadium?

Geezer sounds like a right cowboy to me.