Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subs last night

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Sorry if this has been said already. But the subs last night were clueless yet again Parky really does not know what he is doing. Apko was having a poor game and was also injured (after the stamp) and could hardly run he should have been taken off before the 60 minuet mark. Yes he is big but the only header he won all right was out for a corner in our own box with no pressure.

Why bring waggy on a right winger and put him on the left when we had Reid on the bench? Then to bring solly on for sam was too negative, if anything waggy is a good tackler so could of done a job there.

I know we won and got the 3 points but it was far from convincing again and we waste too many subs. The subs invited far too much pressure onto our defense in the final 10 mins of the game!

Comments

• Said in post-match comments dont think worthwhile another thread personally and we won cheer up no need to pick out the negatives even when we win, just be happy!
  • I agreed with every single substitute.

Akpo, although didnt win anything caused nervousness and problems for their defence, Forster was knackered.

Wagstaff offers more defence and protection and general "running" than Reid, which was needed at the end.

No problem with Solly for Sam as their left back was constantly bombing forward, Sam had run his socks off and the fresh legs were needed.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I agreed with every single substitute.

Akpo, although didnt win anything caused nervousness and problems for their defence, Forster was knackered.

Wagstaff offers more defence and protection and general "running" than Reid, which was needed at the end.

No problem with Solly for Sam as their left back was constantly bombing forward, Sam had run his socks off and the fresh legs were needed.

I agree with this. Thought this thread was going to be about how good the subs were
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I agreed with every single substitute.

Agreed
  • lol at responses, big two fingers up to openning post ;o)
  • Like WSS I could understand Parky's thinking and didn't see much wrong with those subs. Certainly weren't terrible or clueless decisions. Imagine if we took Akpo off and the player he'd have been marking out jumped Shelvey or whoever and scored from a corner? Akpo was there to defend from set pieces as well as make it hard for their defence.

Wagstaff did well enough and Solly coming on wasted some time and gave us someone that would defend down the right.
  • sorry, but have to agree with the original poster.

Sodje had done nothing all game, not won a header all night I was advocating even putting Llera up-front as at least he might get his head to the ball !!

As for taking off Racon for Waggy and hen playing him on the left............he's right footed for gawds sake !! If you are not going to put Reid on then at least move Sam over there, who can at least cross with his left !!!!!!!!

As for Solly !!!!!!!! Ye gods, we put on the smallest, lightest player for the last 10 mins when we were under the cosh and needed to be able to win the ball or hold it up when pumped forward.

If we get promoted it will be despite Parky, not because of him !
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If we get promoted it will be despite Parky, not because of him !
    Very ignorant.

Players are fantastic, Parky is rubbish if we go up.

Players are fanastic but not fulfilling they're potential if we don't go up. Correct?

Credit where credit is due Golfie.
  • Half agree with OP.

I would have had Shelvey on for Racon
    Reid on for Sam
    Waggy on for Akpo.

The defence was fine, by sticking a defender on for a midfielder at 1-0 you are asking for trouble, and we very nearly got punished at the end.

With the pace of Waggy & Reid on the wings and Shelvey freshening things up in the middle we could have easily run riot for the last ten. Sodje & Dailly had won everything prior to the subs so why change it and invite heavy pressure?
  • Akpo is more like a centre half than a forward in his heading, sure he did a job to challenge their big centre half but barely won a sausage all night
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I agreed with every single substitute.

I agree with this. Thought this thread was going to be about how good the subs were

me too but we won so we need something to moan about.

Wagstaff gave us an outlet but Reid might have done the same.

Solly was on for a very short time but is not lightweight.

Sodje's height was needed defensively.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Imagine if we took Akpo off and the player he'd have been marking out jumped Shelvey or whoever and scored from a corner? Akpo was there to defend from set pieces as well as make it hard for their defence.

Agreed, Scoham - I would have thought this was obvious to everyone.

Also, imagine having just the not very tall Forster up front on his own? Every defensive clearance would just be won by their CB's and come straight back, putting our defence under further pressure. We'd end up defending too deep.

At least with Akpo up front, he got the physical challenge in - he might not have won much in the air, but their CB's didn't get free headers in and were pressured all the time.

Akpo did his job. You can bet Parky is pleased with him.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]As for taking off Racon for Waggy and hen playing him on the left............he's right footed for gawds sake !! If you are not going to put Reid on then at least move Sam over there, who can at least cross with his left !!!!!!!!

That no doubt seems logical at first ........ but then analyse Waggy's qualities.

He's very industrious, protects his fullback, direct on the quick break, pacy and runs straight at the defender and skins him ........ and rather than cross, cuts inside - and shoots!

And with a right footed player on the left, it's very natural to cut inside and shoot right footed.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Every defensive clearance would just be won by their CB's and come straight back, putting our defence under further pressure. We'd end up defending too deep.

At least with Akpo up front, he got the physical challenge in - he might not have won much in the air, but their CB's didn't get free headers in and were pressured all the time.

Akpo did his job. You can bet Parky is pleased with him.

I think Forster is a tough little fella who dont shirk an aerial challenge. Always jumps for headers and due to Akpo getting 2 inches off the ground, probably makes up the height difference in his jumping alone!
  • Someone was talkiing to Rob Elliot last night (a very good source) , he is fit and available, not even getting a place on the bench at the moment, in his own words he thinks it would unfair to drop Randolph.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Akpo is more like a centre half than a forward in his heading, sure he did a job to challenge their big centre half but barely won a sausage all night
    He didn't need to win much though. I agree he didn't but watch him closely and think about what would happen with Shelvey or Mooney in his place, their defenders would have won the header easily and cleanly knocked it to heir team mates. Akpo stopped them being able to do that. It got us higher up the pitch and we were more likely to soon win posession.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If we get promoted it will be despite Parky, not because of him !
    Very ignorant.

Players are fantastic, Parky is rubbish if we go up.

Players are fanastic but not fulfilling they're potential if we don't go up. Correct?

Credit where credit is due Golfie.
    And agree with that. If we go up Parky has to have some credit. He's made mistakes but so do the players. It's unrealistic to expect a manager that rarely makes a tactical error or poor signing, just like it's unrealistic to expect the team to have an 8/10 performance in all 46 league games.

Whatever happens will be down to the players and Parky. He made signings, let players go, picked the team, runs parts of the club his way etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I think Forster is a tough little fella who dont shirk an aerial challenge. Always jumps for headers and due to Akpo getting 2 inches off the ground, probably makes up the height difference in his jumping alone!
    True but we saw at Southampton we don't get as much out of him up front on his own, and he looked better last night having a bigger player challenging for headers. And sometimes there are headers Forster simply can't jump to win but Akpo with his height and strength can.

Have to point out again I'm not a fan of Akpo, I just thought last night was the right game for him. In the end it worked well enough to get us the 3 points.
  • Horses for courses and Parky got it spot on last night

I will not be surprised to see some changes for Norwich, both in starting line up and use of substitutes, even though we won last night.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If we get promoted it will be despite Parky, not because of him !
    And Golfie wins the award for the most ridiculous post of the year. To me, all 3 of Park's substitutions were spot on and exactly what we needed. Just because YOU can't understand them doesn't make him a bad manager!!
  • Not been one to moan unduly about David Mooney but last night he absolutely amazed me. Tries to retain posession on the corner flag in order to run down the clock and suceeeds for all on 0.555555 seconds at best. FFS stand up and be counted for once. Once the ball was taken by the Colchester player it was exactly 7 seconds before the ball ended up in our penalty area.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    As someone else said, probably the right idea, wrong player.
  • Mooney was probably playing to instructions.

He'd get a bigger bollocking for not doing as he was told.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Mooney was probably playing to instructions.

He'd get a bigger bollocking for not doing as he was told.
    so that's what we can moan about Parky getting wrong then ;-)
  • all I can say is I'm glad we are playing a striker who can't head the ball for his defensive capabilities. Very soon he will actually win a header and head it into his own net. Thought the subs were strange again but then what do I know. If we do get promoted imo it will be despite Parky not because of him.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]If we do get promoted imo it will be despite Parky not because of him.
    You're not related to Golfie are you.....

.....oh hold on.
  • I didn't really agree with the subs last night but Parky has a very good record on these recently. Some that spring to mind
    1. Huddersfield - got a point after subs
    2. MK dons - subs really effective in taking the pressure off us
    3. Southend - won from effective subs
    4. southampton - alto we didnt get the point we deserved the subs helped us get on top

all away games so perhaps most of you don't see
    there have also been times when waggy has come on as effective sub

so get off parky's back - his record on subs is good
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]all I can say is I'm glad we are playing a striker who can't head the ball for his defensive capabilities. Very soon he will actually win a header and head it into his own net. Thought the subs were strange again but then what do I know. If we do get promoted imo it will be despite Parky not because of him.

Colchester are an ugly, physically big and strong side ...... and Parky made the decision to start the only forward on the books who could physically challenge the opposing CBs - and defend them at set pieces.

I don't suppose Akpo will start on Saturday against a less physical Norwich - but last night he was picked to do a particular physical job. Forster on his own or even in tandem with Mooney could never have got in the face of those lump CB's, who would have had free headers - thus clearing the ball straight back into our half, and pressuring us to defend ever deeper.

And who else would have marked these lump CB's when defending set pieces in our own box?
  • Ask Colchester defender John White if Wagstaff was an ineffectual sub last night.

And a comment I saw about Akpo's contribution was spot-on: while he couldn't make a noticeable impact on the game in the form of a goal for instance, his attempts to go toe-to-toe with colchester's commanding back line gave forster and the wide players the space and the opportunities to creep in with the time and space to do what United were dreading we'd do: get the ball on the floor.

Not to say he had a great game per se, but he was clearly given a job to do by Parkinson, he did his job and it worked.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]all I can say is I'm glad we are playing a striker who can't head the ball for his defensive capabilities. Very soon he will actually win a header and head it into his own net. Thought the subs were strange again but then what do I know. If we do get promoted imo it will be despite Parky not because of him.

Colchester are an ugly, physically big and strong side ...... and Parky made the decision to start the only forward on the books who could physically challenge the opposing CBs - and defend them at set pieces.

I don't suppose Akpo will start on Saturday against a less physical Norwich - but last night he was picked to do a particular physical job. Forster on his own or even in tandem with Mooney could never have got in the face of those lump CB's, who would have had free headers - thus clearing the ball straight back into our half, and pressuring us to defend ever deeper.

And who else would have marked these lump CB's when defending set pieces in our own box?

Agree with this assessment.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]If we do get promoted imo it will be despite Parky not because of him.
    The thing with that is if a new manager came in last summer and had us in this same position, made the same signings, he'd be getting loads of praise for making us hard to beat, grinding out wins and making the most of what he had.

Last season he was critisized for getting some decent performances and no results. This season he's got results and we still have a decent chance of automatic promotion with Parky in charge. We are what, 15 league positions or so higher than some thought we would be at this stage if he remained manager.

He's not done a fantastic job, but he's done fairly well so far and if we get promoted he'd have done a good job. He will deserve some credit for signings like Dailly, Richardson and Forster, as well as getting good performances from players like Semedo and Burton.

Might say any manager could do that as they're better than this league, but as we saw with managers since Curbs, Les Reed especially, it is possible for a manager to get little out of players capable of far more. This season Parky has only got players performing that badly occasionally.

I don't think we can assume just any manager would have had us in this position with four games to go. If we get promoted a lot of it will be down to Parky's decisions and the way he's ran things. So much behind the scenes we don't see and don't know about that he would have improved on a year and a half ago.