Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congrats Pompey

what a funny old game it is,they're in europe next season now,if still in existence,can't help feeling pleased for them.

Comments

• Not going to be in Europe unfortunatley but what an achievement today. Good on 'em.
  • I just bloody love seeing Spurs lose.
  • Great achievement... what a weekend for the underdog

Ross County
    Portsmouth
    even to a slightly lesser extent,Torquay and Burnley

Some quality results out there this weekend, what football is all about!
  • But chelsea are in champs league.. so who gets the extra place?
  • Agree with Chunes
  • heard that pompey didnt sign the right papers or something to make them eligable probably just a rumour tho
  • [cite]Posted By: SamB09[/cite]But chelsea are in champs league.. so who gets the extra place?

Maybe 7th is Europa as well?
  • edited April 2010
    Portsmouth didn't apply for UEFA Club license so gave up their chance for a European place. Leaves an extra position open for whoever finishes 7th (i think) in the Prem
  • [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]heard that pompey didnt sign the right papers or something to make them eligable probably just a rumour tho

Being in administration they can't meet the (relatively) new UEFA competition criteria to compete in Europe, therefore they chose not to apply for the requisite license and will have no part in any European competition as confirmed by the club, the FA and UEFA
  • All the sweeter for having a perfectly good equaliser ruled out. Ideally their season falls apart and Harry ends up with nowt this year except a criminal record for tax offences.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved it! Were there any yid fans left at the final whistle? lol.
  • Shame about Europe

I'm really glad for them - they've had an awful year which, admittedly is much of their own doing. But the togetherness they showed at the end and during the game was great to see.

I'm not a fan of Pompey - but fair play to them and especially to avram grant who I personally think has conducted himself absolutely magnificently since his appointment. He hasn't bitched about the situation and the fines but has just got on with it.

I wonder how many neutrals were cheering Spurs.... 10% maybe?

Fair play avram - Swisdom is mightily impressed
  • Pleased for the Pompey fans after all the traumas as to the future of their club. We've been there and should be able to empathise.

Agree with Swisdom re Avram Grant too. There cannot be too many managers who have been sacked for finshing runners up in the Premiership and Champions League in the same season!

I hope he (and Portsmouth) sticks it up Chelsea in the final.

I had no intention of watching the match but sat down with a cup of tea flicking through the channels found it and was rivited to it.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game not involving Charlton as much.
  • edited April 2010
    Really great game, Spurs were poor but Pompey were excellent. Would love them to beat Chelsea in final.

What a season for FA Cup upsets: Leeds, Reading, Pompey etc
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Really great game, Spurs were poor but Pompey were excellent. Would love them to beat Chelsea in final.

What a season for FA Cup upsets: Leeds, Reading, Pompey etc

This. I thought Gareth Bale was the only player in the Spurs team who showed up today. Fantastic display from him, didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Shame about his other team mates....
  • I despise tottenham and as indifferent as I am about Portsmouth I was jumping all over the show watching that

Horrible, muggy bunch of fans are yids.
  • Hilarious seeing the Spurs end empty before the end.....will be a fun morning in work tomorrow...
  • Fantastic result - i can't think of a worse Final than Spurs v Chelsea......
  • I'm so pleased for the Pompey fans - they deserve another visit to Wembley. Would be great if they could beat Chelsea in the final.
  • as good as it is for pompey to be in the final ... spurs would have given chelsea a sterner test .... this'll be a one sided comfortable victory for chelsea to complete their double
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Fantastic result - i can't think of a worse Final than Spurs v Chelsea......

sadly it would've been a far better game than Chelsea V Pompey will probably be
  • Just got back from Wembley.

Deary dear, I'll keep it clean but Pompey deserved it. Its a shame the pitch and the ref twice contrived to give the game to Pompey but they fully deserved their luck, certainly dont begrudge them it after what they've all been through and really hope they beat Chelsea in the Final.

I'm more pissed off that Palacios got booked and will miss the NLD and the Chelsea game on Saturday.
  • great tackle in all honesty
  • I should add to my last post that John is alright!
  • uncle avram... top bloke I reckon.. unfortunately I cant see the team staying together and it will be another fire sale upon fire sale and they could easily end up like us, leeds, southampton, etc...
  • imo there are definately worse teams in prem than portsmouth. based on the way they played yesterday they looked like a team that way clicking in every department. they never had a chance this season

hull
    burnley
    west ham
    wigan
    wolves

prob on a par with bolton, sunderland,
  • One-off matches aren't the best way to judge whether a team is 'good enough to stay up' or not. I'm sure Wigan looked pretty good when they beat Chelsea this year, same goes for Burnley's win over Man United.

Congratulations to Pompey, and best of luck to them in the final.
  • Word is that due to a ridiculous bonus system, Pompey may not have much of a side to put out in the final as they'll have to fork out too much should they win. Apparently 2 years ago when they won it, they earned 1.8m in prize money but paid out 3.2m in bonuses. And they wonder why they're in administration!!
  • imagine the odds for the pompey ross county double .

wish i was working in my old office for days like this all thos muggy spurs tools i used to work with
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]One-off matches aren't the best way to judge whether a team is 'good enough to stay up' or not. I'm sure Wigan looked pretty good when they beat Chelsea this year, same goes for Burnley's win over Man United.

Congratulations to Pompey, and best of luck to them in the final.

not really just on yesterday, seen them a bit on tv over the course of the season and they always seem to carry a goal threat whilst playing decent football.