Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

best players? worst team?

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
why are millwall able to repeatedly notch up cricket score victories yet we struggle to a) get a grip of matches and b) find it so hard to score. is it just confidence, are they that good or are we just not playing as a unit. we have the best players imo "on paper" by a mile in this div but possibly one of the the worst "teams".

Comments

• Quite simply because our manager is not good enough.
  • I think its a combination of Parky not being a great manager and too many of our players (and our fans) thinking they are better than they are and think they can simply do what they want and be better than the opposition.
  • edited April 2010
    We wont go up until we have a Kenny Jackett ie a manager who can get the best out of players that arent the best same as curbishley did.

Unfortunately they are hard to come by but we havent got one now and next season we will be mid table when we lose some of our better players if we dont go up this year, which I cant see happening as well have to beat leeds or millwall (no chance) in the mentally - tough play offs at best.

People saying they expected us to lose today which highlights how little confidence there is about the current team and cant see how we will go up if our current team is losing must win games like this because if we expect to lose against saints at their home who may be in playoffs we may expect to lose against millwall or leeds or swindon in the playoffs over two legs.

Not being negative or anti parkinson for the sake of it it is just how i see it and i dont think we will get promoted this year which is a disaster if so as players will leave for peanuts and the financial situation wont improve.

The board needs to have a contingency plan now and be scouting replacements who can come in if we dont go up straight away because otherwise well just keep sinking.

In my humble, ignorant opionion of course.
  • edited April 2010
    quite pleased to hear on the commentary today that parky was quite animated and apparantly gave sam a rollicking in the 2nd half. the commentators were harping on about sam being so talented but doing absolutely nothing at this level. is it time to let him go and get in someone who wants to make an make an impact, like luke holden who looked useful but we got shot of
  • Lack of quality up front, too many "naturally" inconsistent players, players aren't as good as we think they are nor are the opposition as poor as we think.

Heard at the game today "Lloyd Sam you should be pissing this league", typical example of our players being overrated, he should do more than he has this season especially recently but he was never going to destroy teams every game.
  • To add to that Millwall have been in this league for a while and have slowly built up a team. We've come down had to rebuild quickly and have big expectations.
  • edited April 2010
    agreed about a manager who can get the best out of players, so important at this level. who is there tho, someone like steve cotterill, but he isnt going anywhere with county expected to travel through the leagues over the next few years

what chance of a curbishley return? surely it must be a tempting proposition if asked and he would probably agree to a wage deferral until he achieves. a chance to take over in a no lose situation with way worse players than in the early 90s
  • have to say we are somewhat a boring little outfit,but i dont care how we go up,just go up
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]To add to that Millwall have been in this league for a while and have slowly built up a team. We've come down had to rebuild quickly and have big expectations.

Well looks like Parkinson will have that opportunity so will hope we are all on here in 3 years still believing he's the man to get us up in time.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]have to say we are somewhat a boring little outfit,but i dont care how we go up,just go up

i couldnt agree more with that but didnt want to be the first to say it. we have to sort out the atmosphere at home aswell cos after winning 2-0 today colchester will be up fer it on tues.

also i thought 1,500 away fans for a game that important today didnt show much confidence either.
  • Sponsored links:

• my daughter said we were quite loud as usual away from home,we will beat colchester,but lets be frank we all talked up autos and now were programmed to think just managing the play offs is some amazing feat.
  • I do agree that as the likes of Leeds and Millwall have been in this division a while they have teams ideally suited to this level and know just what it takes (they have had enough screw ups to know better than anyone!), if they go up they will have to make some big tweaks. As for us the pressure is really on every time we step on the pitch because the expectancy level is so high (although Leeds must really feel this too) if we somehow do manage to go up it will be a much bigger achievement as we have not had a settled team for 4 years. I still think we can make the play offs and then it is a case of who blinks first.
  • We have a decent squad for this level, no more, but the players seem incapable of raising their game for the must-win games.

I can't comment about today cos I weren't there, although it sounds as though we created enough chances to get something.

But, generally only Bailey seems to show the character and belief in the big games.

For that reason, like Rodders I can't be optimistic about the play-offs.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]my daughter said we were quite loud as usual away from home,we will beat colchester,but lets be frank we all talked up autos and now were programmed to think just managing the play offs is some amazing feat.

Spot on and that will be the rhetoric at the end of the most impotent period i can remember in two decades....he did well to finish sixth with no money, players not performing, parky needs more time, unlucky with injuries etc and all of the other caveats that 99% of teams in this league face but somehow it is almost blasphemous to highlight the not so "Special" one is not the messiah.
  • In my view we have top 6 players and a 5th placed team.
  • what our your top six players callum?
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]To add to that Millwall have been in this league for a while and have slowly built up a team. We've come down had to rebuild quickly and have big expectations.

Well looks like Parkinson will have that opportunity so will hope we are all on here in 3 years still believing he's the man to get us up in time.
    I wasn't talking about Parky, and I never said give him a few more years. Was just saying why Millwall are a good team.
  • We're not ruthless enough. When Norwich take the lead they carry on trying to score more goals. When we take the lead we sit back and defend for the rest of the game - I hope I'm wrong but it could cost us.