Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley in 1956

I had never seen it like this before, my dad had told be about the old east stand which he said was one of the biggest terraces in england.

Comments

• Never seen that either. Thanks for posting it.

Why are we wearing our away kit rather than Arsenal?

Only 71,767 there.
  • edited April 2010
    The following year was when I first attended The Valley....Jezuzz guys and gals, it was so very different as to be unrecognisable and in just about every way imaginable.
    Great find by the way and thanks a million...brought a lump to my throat I can tell you.
  • fascinating, did you notice the surge on the south terrace when charlton went close in the first half, proper football.
    sure thats been posted on here before unless it was something else from british pathe
  • Charles Charlie Charles scored for Arsenal :-)

When I started to go to every game in 72/73 there were 67,000 less people :-(
  • I'd love to experience a stadium like that, despite the poor quality of football. As someone who has only seen the new valley i really appreciate going to away games with terracing. Bristol rovers was brilliant and i can't wait for exeter.
  • great video, the east terrace and covered end look fantasic.

If only we could still have terracing now
  • It was the steepest terracing in Europe at that time.
  • and the biggest I'm lead to believe ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]great video, the east terrace and covered end look fantasic.

If only we could still have terracing now

hopefully safe standing one day. theres no reason why not, safer than standing on seats.
  • My first ever game at the Valley, aged 9, my brother an arsenal supporter took me. I remember being pushed through the crowd down the East Terrace to the front or else I wouldn't have seen a thing. The only game I saw with Sam Bartram...and mixing up Johnny Summers and Stuart Leary..I didn't come back properly until 4th round with Everton in 1959 when there were only 44,000 there that day.....and Willie Duff knocked out Hikson with a right hook....tore off his jersey and walked off before the ref had a chance to intervene.
  • Sponsored links:

• You get an idea of just how big that terracing was and how, as kids, the players looked like insects to us.
  • I'm sure I saw Henry and Nathan at about 16.55!

Was that our nickname back then 'the home boys!'
  • [cite]Posted By: east terrace peanuts[/cite]My first ever game at the Valley, aged 9, my brother an arsenal supporter took me. I remember being pushed through the crowd down the East Terrace to the front or else I wouldn't have seen a thing. The only game I saw with Sam Bartram...and mixing up Johnny Summers and Stuart Leary..I didn't come back properly until 4th round with Everton in 1959 when there were only 44,000 there that day.....and Willie Duff knocked out Hikson with a right hook....tore off his jersey and walked off before the ref had a chance to intervene.

Remember Willie landing that haymaker....sweet as a nut, knocked Hickson clean out.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]I'm sure I saw Henry and Nathan at about 16.55!

Was that our nickname back then 'the home boys!'

I'm pretty sure it was just stating we was at home. LOL
  • love it mate......
  • superb ... not seen that one before
  • That's brilliant.

I don't know, Henry, but was there an attitude at the time that it was a second kit, not an away one, and, like a good host, you'd wear it when your visitors' colours clashed with yours?
  • Great stuff

I think I spotted me Dad in the middle of the East terrace...!

I heard once that in t'old days the home team used to change colours in the FA Cup if there was a clash. Something tells me Wimbledon insisted on it at the Den one year, but I'm not certain.

If you go to the links on the page there's the two semi's from 1947, when we beat Newcastle 4-0 despite most of our team being crippled with food poisoning, probably one of our finest hours (or 90 minutes).
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]I heard once that in t'old days the home team used to change colours in the FA Cup if there was a clash.[/quote]

I think this is correct. It was certainly true in amateur football where the home team changed if there was a clash.