Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Malcolm McLaren RIP

RIP

Comments

• That's a shock. Great businessman.
  • Blimey.
    Never really liked the Bloke, but without him No Punk.
    RIP.
  • Legend, RIP..

from a massive fan of Adam and The Ants when they started out around the time of the punk film "Jubilee". was also quite influential in the Hip Hop area
  • Yes RIP Malcolm, I'll bet you will wake some of the dead upstairs. Party on.
  • where's bill grundy now?

Managed one of my favorite groups (new york dolls)
  • RIP

Most proberly doing the double dutch upstairs
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLUm3nZetto

We love Malcom, but no one else does
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Blimey.
    Never really liked the Bloke, but without him No Punk.
    RIP.
    MOG MOG MOG, please!

Without him no boy bands, maybe. Ramones and the Clash owed nothing to the Pistols getting into the mainstream.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]where's bill grundy now?

Mine too. But I'd argue that his management didn't contribute to their legend. RPL remains one of the most disappointing albums I've ever heard.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]where's bill grundy now?

Mine too. But I'd argue that his management didn't contribute to their legend. RPL remains one of the most disappointing albums I've ever heard.

RIP.

Now's not the time for wind ups Mortimerician/HI.
  • edited April 2010
    double dutch was embarrassing and quite out of character, dont really know where that came from. was he rebranding himself or something in the early 80s
  • I do remember reading about the demise of the pistols in the NME several years after the break up, and that Malcom did this as some sort of payback to the music industry that he seemed to despise.

He seemed to be full of contempt/ and despised at the time for John Lydon, and Mattlock, probably because he could not manage them, or as they would say 'control' them.
    Met him at EMI ironically, before the infamous Bill Grundy show as I saw them on the Tony Wilson produced show with Janet Street Porter.

My interview never appeared as I was working on a magazine called school leaver, and the publisher banished them.
    They then signed for Virgin, and AMI but fell out with Rick Wakeman, or claimed to at the time..... I think Malcom loved to play games, and in the end despised what he had himself created.
    From being a fresh breath of air it turned into another 'product' for the music industry to market. I was never into his hip hop stuff/rap, or anything else that he did.

A clever creative guy, I guess my interview will appear one day. Oh by the way the pistols favourite group were the 'faces'..... seems ironic when you think what 'arse' that Rod Stewart turnd into.......
    but then he was probably playing me as well as everyone else.... that was him 'destroy to create'
  • Sponsored links:

• morti, agree on the later nyd stuff but you can how MM was trying to bring the political into music as he did with the pistols. That was a big influence on the clash and bernie rhodes was M M assistant.
    Maybe there would have punk without MM but of quite a different type.

To quote julien temple MM was a con artist with the stress on the 2nd word

RIP
  • I might be alone here but I really liked the Double Dutch stuff as well as the Pistols stuff.
    I played his Duck Rock album fairly recently and though obviously of its time, it was a really fun listen.

RIP
  • Double Dutch by Malcolm
  • MM gave the music industry the 'kick up the arse' it needed in the 70's.

RIP
  • The album 'Waltz Darling' is a favourite of mine. Big, big influence and a true Brit.
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]MM gave the music industry the 'kick up the arse' it needed in the 70's.

RIP

Highly debatable bibble...highly debatable.
  • From Malcolm's son

"In celebration of Malcolm's life we are asking people to observe a MINUTE OF MAYHEM at midday on April 22. Put on your favourite records and let it RIP! ..."
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]From Malcolm's son

"In celebration of Malcolm's life we are asking people to observe a MINUTE OF MAYHEM at midday on April 22. Put on your favourite records and let it RIP! ..."

lol, superb, love it
  • GSTQ was on at Midday !