Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Wireless Router?

13»

Comments

• Options
    razil said:
    I’ve not noticed a disable wifi setting on sky q boxes
    It's in the hidden engineering menu.

1. Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
    2. Scroll down to ‘Settings’ and DO NOT press select.
    3. Press ‘001’.
    4. Press ‘Select’
    You then have the following;

1. Network
      • 2.4GHz wireless (on | off)
      • 5GHz wireless (on | off)
      • Powerline (on | off)
      • Ethernet (on | off)
      • 5GHz Wi-Fi channel width (80 MHz / ch36 | 40MHz / ch36 | 40MHz / ch44)
    2. Reset
      • Reset settings
      • Factory reset
    3. Apps
    • Refresh apps
    Do not do a factory reset though as believe you lose everything including any recordings.
  • Options
    ah yes, have been in there once or twice
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I swear there was a sky q minibox firmware update a few weeks back which knocked out all my miniboxes connected by ethernet.  Nothing else had changed.  Came home from work to find an irate wife not being able to put the kids in front of Netflix while she tried to cook dinner.

As @Rob7Lee says above, no matter how many times I turned off the wifi on the boxes through the secret menu, they still looked for a poxy wifi signal and refused to connect via ethernet.  Eventually got them back running but not without going full on tourettes.
    I had an issue with Sky wifi recently and when I checked it turned out that the Broadband safeguards had switched to PG and were basically stopping access to a lot of sites, especially the dodgy ones like CharltonLife. You just need to log onto your Sky account, click on the broadband link and work through to the options of age appropriate or similar and move it to 18+ (just stops phishing etc).
  • Options
    Having some issues with Sky router which is ‘unstable’ I’m wondering if it’s because I have sky q from another account running on them.
  • Options
    Define Unstable? Not sure what you mean by 'another account' - broadband from another ISP?
  • Options
    Post up the router stats?
  • Options
    Word of advice, best to get mesh rather than just an access point. If you use access points, even with the same Wi-fi username and password the connection will drop and if you are in the middle of both may have issues as they are seen as separate networks. 

Mesh networks are devices which broadcast the same network, think of it as creating a net as you place each device in locations to do so. 
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    Word of advice, best to get mesh rather than just an access point. If you use access points, even with the same Wi-fi username and password the connection will drop and if you are in the middle of both may have issues as they are seen as separate networks. 

Mesh networks are devices which broadcast the same network, think of it as creating a net as you place each device in locations to do so. 
    I have 2 access points and have never had an issue, far better speeds compared to mesh, same throughout the house.
  • Options
    Same here
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Same here
    Most reasons people have an issue with AP's is incorrect set up, more often than not overlapping channels.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Keeps dropping out - broadband stops router starts flashing orange. Sky insist it’s not external problem. I have two sky accounts/installations at two properties.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Keeps dropping out - broadband stops router starts flashing orange. Sky insist it’s not external problem. I have two sky accounts/installations at two properties.
    Try glancing at the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) next time it plays up.  Any red lights and the problem is on the fibre.  Other than that change the router to eliminate one way or other. 

• Options
    razil said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just to be clear you've a SR203 Sky Q router? So 4 lights left to right, Power, Internet, Wifi and Voice/Phone? And it's the second light flashing orange? Assume the power light stays green and not turn white?

if so that's your router is losing the connection. So it will be the connection from the router back. So it's either wiring issue to the master socket or from the socket to router or external. I'd firstly change the RJ11 cable to be sure.

Assume you are connected to the master socket/master socket not been extended? What master socket do you have a 5c? Data face plate or filter? If a filter either change it or ideally get the data faceplate.

Router stats may still be helpful.

• Options
    razil said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Try glancing at the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) next time it plays up.  Any red lights and the problem is on the fibre.  Other than that change the router to eliminate one way or other. 

Don't believe he has fibre.
  • Options

• Options
    edited February 2023
    no that's ethernet not rj11, tsk, what next? Turn if off an on again??  :D

its connected to a BT Master prefiltered wall box
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    razil said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Don't believe he has fibre.
    Oops  :(
  • Options
    SKY have sent out a new router, I am however loathe to connect it recofigure all my smart devices yet again, and have the same issue if its something else causing it.

One thing I am able to do is connect all the sky q boxes to the ethernet cables which are in place temporarily so I may do that.

I will look at the rj11 cable as well, from memory I used the new one that came with it, so odd but not impossible that its the cause. The wall box is pretty new too so not likely to be the problem.
  • Options
    Why don’t you plug the new router into mains and bt socket to see if the red lights turn to green. This will then indicate the problem is the router or cable connecting it to the bt socket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the orange lights drop out is very intermittent, maybe once or twice a day, but thats only when I notice it, wife says shes getting a lot of issues despite SKY adding a repeater (MESH) box
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    With the new router just change the SSID and password to that of the original one then you don't need to reconfigure anything for your devices. That's what I did when I moved.

The orange light means the router itself is dropping the internet connection (orange is connecting to the internet), really need the router stats to look. The mesh won't do anything in that respect as it's just connecting to the router.

Do you have a picture of your master socket? And are you plugging directly into it?
  • Options
    Which stats? Are they easy to access?

• Options

Maintenance tab
    All the way to the bottom 'show statistics'
    You'll get a separate pop up, screen shot here.

So you have the latest Mk4 master socket, do you have any phone extensions run? (doesn't look like it) If so disconnect them.

Lets see the stats but it can only be;

Cable to the master socket (all we can do is eliminate everything afterwards)

1. Remove that face plate (bit that says mk4) and unscrew the cover behind, check no cables are pinched and screw back on.

2. Leave off the faceplate, you'll need an adsl filter, plug that into the main socket behind the cover and plug router to the filter. That will eliminate a faulty face plate (assuming it's still happening). Thos faceplates come into two and often of someone has separated it causes issues (you'd see why if you did as a number of really lightweight pins between them).

3. After that try new RJ11 cable and router.

If after all that it's still happening then it's the cable/line coming into the face plate.

Do you have overhead telephone cables? Check no tree branches tapping in the wind, it's even known for large birds to land and causing the issue!  
  • Options
    Wierdly drop out seems to happen at similar times of day eg roughly 11:30, although wife says it happens other times too
  • Options
    It's not just wifi dropping is it? Check the stats!

If wifi then it's likely to be something else in the house causing/conflicting with it.