Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lloyd Sam Must Start On Saturday

Although he does seem to be a bit of a marmite player with everyone here due to his inconsistency, Lloydy for me has got to be one of the first names on the teamsheet on Saturday just because of how much of a torrid time he gave Soton's left back Dan Harding in the game at The Valley. Some of you will no doubt remember that as well as getting done everytime by Sam he also grabbed hold of him and pulled him down in the box which should of been a penalty and for me it was a worse than having those two goals disallowed because of how blatent and how obvious this was. If Sam plays on Saturday I have no doubt that he can give Harding a tough time again and if Harding tries to foul him like he did, hopefully this time we would get a braver ref to give us a few decisions, I think he could be a difference on Saturday providing he is up for the game and doesn't shy away.

Comments

• Good point Forza. Is Harding still the regular left back though?
  • Looking back to the Statbank for that game, from 53 markers, Sam was the 9th highest rated player (only Bailey and Llera lower), so i suspect you may be slightly over-egging the 'ran Harding ragged' bit !

However, i do agree he should start on Saturday.
  • Pretty sure he is mate, he started the paintpot final and I can't think of who else it would be.
  • I guess the other thing to factor in is that Sam was in very good form back when we played Southampton at home.
    He's certainly dipped since then but having been rested for the last few games he must be ripe for a surge in form!

COYR
  • edited April 2010
    I don't agree with how much you rate Racon but I do agree Sam should start.

Wagstaff is not ready to be starting regularly, especially not against the better sides. Good option from the bench though when Sam tires.

One thing that goes unnoticed is he usually keeps possession well, something Reid and Wagstaff don't do as well as he does. Just needs to play with some confidence so he takes on their players instead of going for the safe option. For all his weaknesses he's a good winger at this level, shame he's not improved his consistency going down a level though.

As I said in other threads, Southampton, Norwich, Leeds etc will be more open games, our midfield and strikers will benefit from that, especially Sam and Shelvey.
  • Has been a gamble all season really hasn't he....he may have a blinder and win us the game or be so abjectly poor as to be virtualy non-existant.
    Who'd be a manager....tough call aint it.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Who'd be a manager....tough call aint it.
    Not sure it really is with the options we have, though that's not really a good thing. Apart from Wagstaff anyone else will be out of position (eg Bailey or Shelvey) and we'd lose the width he gives us.
  • Playing both Reid and Sam means that they cannot be both doubled up on and they both SHOULD have enough ability to beat most full backs in this division on-on-one.

The number of crosses that were delivered into the box on Saturday was more than I can remember for a while - we just need, in addition to the strikers, a midfielder and the opposite winger in the box when it's delivered.

We only ever seem to have one player in the box at a time.
  • Yep i agree, he should start but lets hope he starts like he did in the last 30minutes on monday. he is due a match winning performance and how we will need it on saturday
  • If bailey is fit we would want him to start - but who instead of?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sam had a good game on Monday, back to his early season form, beating his man and putting in dangerous crosses.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]One thing that goes unnoticed is he usually keeps possession well, something Reid and Wagstaff don't do as well as he does.

I think this is in part the root of people's frustrations with him. He's more likely to make the simple pass to a teammate in a bit of space than take the risky option of a run to the by-line and cross, but fans expect him to make that run every time and are disappointed when he comes inside and plays keep-ball. He also makes the mistake of holding on to the ball for too long and not releasing a teammate on a run, but he's nowhere near as bad an offender for this than Reid.

Sam must start on Saturday for me. Reid must start on Saturday for me. Semedo must start on Saturday. If Bailey's coming in, it'll have to be at the expense of Racon or Shelvey. If it was my choice, I'd keep the same team as on Monday, but wouldn't be afraid to bring Bailey on if it's not working.
  • He should only start Saturday if he is prepared to play as a winger not as a luxury, far too inconsistant for me and fails to deliver loads
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]If bailey is fit we would want him to start - but who instead of?
    Can't see Bailey starting on Saturday. He looked well short of match fitness on Monday, so a place on the bench would look favourite to me.
  • [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]If bailey is fit we would want him to start - but who instead of?
    Can't see Bailey starting on Saturday. He looked well short of match fitness on Monday, so a place on the bench would look favourite to me.

He's more or less match fit...only a very short lay-off and was able to train in various ways anyway...he has a natural level of fitness (engine wise that is) and would need to have a much longer lay-off before that dropped. He's fit within himself....only question is, is his ankle OK?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]If bailey is fit we would want him to start - but who instead of?

He's more or less match fit...only a very short lay-off and was able to train in various ways anyway...he has a natural level of fitness (engine wise that is) and would need to have a much longer lay-off before that dropped. He's fit within himself....only question is, is his ankle OK?
    I mean to say, there was something Ralph Milne-esque about him on Monday.
  • sam should start, to go up automatically we need to WIN not draw and sam has the ability to do something special...........
    you could have 11 semedo's and racons in a team and you'll draw 0-0 or 11 sam's and you'll win or lose 10-0 !!
    he who dares rodney!