Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our corners

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
must say they have improved greatly lately but it says a lot that it's our two full-backs that are generally taking them.

Comments

• Nothing wrong with full backs taking them - neither are going to win the headers so why not

I agree though - the set plays are dangerous. Basey takes good ones too but must admit I am surprised at Richardson's ability. They started off pretty average but are certainly more threatening now
  • edited April 2010
    We've scored lots of goals from corners this season. I think it's more about the quality of defending than the delivery. That's not to say the delivery is bad at all, I just think you get more opportunities from corners in League 1 as opposed to the Championship because the quality of defending is worse. Sam Sodje's goals against MK Dons, Huddersfield and Carlisle were 3 unmarked bullet headers. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit for his movement though.

Shelvey, Basey, Richardson and Borrowdale can all take a good corner.
  • According to PP they have been working on them a lot.

Jackson took a mean corner as did Basey and both were FBs.
  • Shelvey is a bit hit and miss and I'd rather he was picking up a loose ball on the edge of the box.

Either way - it's certainly an improvement from Darren cornerclearedbythemanonthenearpost Ambrose
  • I thought Shelvey started off really well with corners and dead balls, but later on in the season he seemed not to be able to deliver, I haven't seen him play for a while tho now
  • Good to see and it really doesn't matter what position takes them. I'm sure there are a fair few examples of full backs taking set pieces, some even take free kicks or penalties.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Shelvey is a bit hit and miss and I'd rather he was picking up a loose ball on the edge of the box.

Either way - it's certainly an improvement from Darren cornerclearedbythemanonthenearpost Ambrose

But Ambrose's corners have become brilliant since he left us
  • I remember Pardews sides being partial to conceding at corners at Reading, West Ham, Us , and Southampton....mind you on Saturday we have to win a corner to test that out.