Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Rooke - Former Charlton Kit Man

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
I was fortunate to be invited to sit alongside John Rooke for todays game against Carlisle, for those of you who dont know of him John had been involved as the kit man at charlton since 1971. In 2005 he suffered a stroke on the team coach on route to a reserve match against Southampton. Ultimately he was made redundant but has since been looked after by the club and he still gets to the games including saturdays win at mk. Prior to his working for the club he began supporting the team in 1950 and today I asked him about his memories and listened with great interest as he described how sam bartram carried him out from behind the covered end to get treatment after being hit in the face by the match ball, how half the crowd walked out as charlton trailed 4-0 to huddersfield in the 7-6 match and how lennie missed the opportunity to sign ian wright in the 80s from greenwich borough. he described pringle and svennson as being charltons most genuinely kindest players on the team coach and how curbishley had a dossier on every player he signed dating back to the players childhood.
it was a pleasure to sit and listen to him and he is a lovely mannered fella, he is often about in crossbars so if you ever get the opportunity to meet him he has some very interesting stories. john talks about his stories on todays commentary which will be edited later over the next few days however he is quiet softly spoken and its unclear at the moment how much of the audio will be able to be used but after 3000 matches over the past 60 years i though i would share a few of his stories on here.

Since Johns stroke in 2005 theres obviously been a decline in our league status but lets hope charlton can ensure he and the rest of us are watching championship football next season.

All the best for the future John

Comments

• cheers for sharing that with us choicey ... now get back to getting your vids sorted!
  • Nice one, Choicey! That was a really heartening and interesting post!

I don't know John, but he sounds like a legendary Charlton character and unsung hero.
  • Probably sounds stupid but would be the kind of Charlton bloke I would love to buy a beer for but just wouldn't know him if I was standing next to him at the bar.

Good luck John, would love to buy you a drink one day and thanks for all your work!
  • edited April 2010
    the man is a bit of a legend by all accounts.
  • Sounds a bit of a jinx...
  • Great story. Old chap I normally sit next to when I'm home was at both FA Cup Finals. Love chatting to him.
  • Great bit of info there Choice. Thanks. Interesting that 2 Swedes stick in the mind for John. I wonder what dossiers Parky keeps? He must have a spare room full considering the number of loanees he signs.
  • have known rooky for a few years now.
    he played in our golf society up until his stroke, and still attends all the society days.
    top top bloke.
  • Agreed he's a top man.............. always got time for his fellow Addicks.
  • Yes, John is one of the good guys, known him for 20 years, and he was instrumental in getting the vets golf society to come and see us in Floyd's when they were in the Algarve in 2006.