Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ps3 won't read discs

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
I know there are a good few ps3 owners on here, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem as me.

Machine wont load game or any discs in fact, they appear to start spinning up then that's it? Of course its a year out of warranty, do I pay Sony their blood money or is there a better way? Have reformatted, reset etc.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Up the Addicks!

Comments

• Update the latest firmware if you haven't already. But it sounds like a fault with the lazer.

If that doesn't work back up your save games and call the Sony help line. They get someone to pick up your old PS3 and give you another one to play on straight away.

If you want to kick up a fuss go to the placxe you bought it and start going on about the sale of goods act and they might just exchange it there and then.
  • Mate had the same thing - Sony are delivering a new one tomorrow. Next day delivery isn't bad

£131 is a bummer though
  • robbery I call it, do they warranty the replacement?
  • I had a similar problem on my PS2 a few years back. I opened it, tightened a screw which got loose and it was as good as new. Quite interesting how easy it was to repair...
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Update the latest firmware if you haven't already. But it sounds like a fault with the lazer.

If that doesn't work back up your save games and call the Sony help line. They get someone to pick up your old PS3 and give you another one to play on straight away.
    n.
    this is true mine was a week outside warranty and I lied they replaced it free! The charge my mate paid was £75
  • edited March 2010
    thing is I hardly used mine, so its very annoying - tempted to shell out for a new one but concerned over their one year warrantys
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]thing is I hardly use mine, tempted to shell out for a new one but concerned over their one year warrantys
    same on all consoles I believe
  • Sony only issue refurbished machines too I believe?

For the amount people have paid on them things they should be bloody bombproof!
  • The new slim has none of the problems that the old one might suffer from. they look quite nice and there will be some decent deals from the supermarkets over the Easter holidays

A devious bugger might be inclind to trade in their old model for a new one slim at a high street. But if you do want to get a longer warrenty John Lewis offer 2 years warrenty on their electricals for free, not sure it's includes consoles but worth looking into.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's the best shops to trade in at? May look into that.
  • john lewis online showing sold out as are game, might try some supermarkets, I read you could extend the warranty for 40 quid but if slim is more reliable ...
  • Some conspiracy theorists claim Sony put a self destruct programme in their machines set to go off after after the yearly warranty....

Once you've paid out hundreds of pounds on games they know you're either going to buy a new machine or fork out for a re-build...
  • edited March 2010
    i go with the theory that incompetence is the more likely where conspiracy theories are concerned
  • Conspiracies like that are the work of xbox fanboys
  • edited March 2010
    just rang Sony to vent a bit,

I mentioned the xbox warranty being 3 years.. yes thats only red ring of death faults, according the guy the ps3 is usable... er yeah the blu ray and the games don't work, I told him that was insulting, and their policy was a con. I asked him why would I pay nearly half the cost of a new one (new model new tech that less likely to go wrong) to get a refurb that was likely to go wrong again, he clearly didnt understand and said it was a factory refurb (muppet)

Didn't achieve anything but they record all their calls so they can play it back sometime and listen to what their customers think of them, oh and I got to vent a bit, and now there's a bit more word of mouth about this dodgy mob (Sony)
  • Not wanting to tempt fate....but I got mine the day it was released and not had a single problem. 3-4 years.

You just have to look after it and not spit at it & give it a kick when you get shot playing COD or miss a sitter playing Fifa.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Not wanting to tempt fate....but I got mine the day it was released and not had a single problem. 3-4 years.

You just have to look after it and not spit at it & give it a kick when you get shot playing COD or miss a sitter playing Fifa.

Same for me....although it's Pro Evo and not Fifa! Got it the day it came out and never had the slightest problem with it. Rest assured if anything does go wrong I'll be straight on the phone to Sony like razil!
  • I hardly use mine like I said and never abuse it, its a pisser, and tempted to buy a ps3 drive
    and rip it open, not paying the price of a second hand one to get a repair
  • I just know mine is going to blow up within a week now.
  • Sponsored links:

• On the refurb front I have one and have done longer than I've had my working one!
  • yeah its almost the price of a new one of the older model let alone second hand.. :)
  • Had a 360 die on me but Bill Gates and his pals happily whisked it of to Germany and it has been on top form ever since. I have the ultra fat Ps3 and so far so good. I agree with Sparrows Lane Lion in that for the amount we pay for these machines they should be bombproof!
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]What's the best shops to trade in at? May look into that.

Cex are pretty good imo.
  • I had a look on the Which website - the Sale of Goods Act means goods should work past their warranty (up to six years) am writing to Amazon with this in mind with a Which Sale of Goods Complaint template to see if it'll persuade them to replace it. It's only 18 months old so its a disgrace really. Am determined not to let them get away with it, so fingers crossed.
  • Had this exact same problem, Blu-ray component went they said, i got one delivered the next day, only had a week left on the warranty.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I had a look on the Which website - the Sale of Goods Act means goods should work past their warranty (up to six years) am writing to Amazon with this in mind with a Which Sale of Goods Complaint template to see if it'll persuade them to replace it. It's only 18 months old so its a disgrace really. Am determined not to let them get away with it, so fingers crossed.

Good luck razil. let us know how you get on.... My boy's PS3 died after 2 years, with the dreaded and common YLOD..
    Spoke to Sony. They're a joke... just tried to sell me a refurb for £128..
  • apparently watchdog did something on it some time back I'll see if I can find anything on that
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/may/23/tesco-consumer-guarantee

more on UK and EU law

EU law 2 years makes the onus on the retailer to prove its a fault and not something you did

UK law is up to 6 years requires you to demonstrate why it wasn't you (after an initial 6 months).
  • edited March 2010
    This happened to my housemate twice in 3 months.

He's not so smug about Bill's rrod now.