Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Euro 2012 qualifiers

Anyone any idea why the genius's at UEFA have decided to play several qualifiers on Friday nights? Same for everyone else, not just for England.

If they were not such out of touch imbeciles, I might consider that they don't want to affect Saturday afternoon gates in the lower leagues, but they don't give a flying one about that kind of football, so anyone come up with a realistic suggestion?

Change for changes sake once again, or a more vaild reason?

Comments

• Platini goes shagging on Saturdays
  • Pretty sure it's because UEFA have given in to the big clubs moaning about when players returned from international duty. So if they play on friday and tuesday their clubs get them back a day earlier ahead of the following weekends club matches.
  • Or cycling around in his stripey top looking for onions to hang around his neck, the dopey frog
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Pretty sure it's because UEFA have given in to the big clubs moaning about when players returned from international duty. So if they play on friday and tuesday their clubs get them back a day earlier ahead of the following weekends club matches.

that's excactly the reason
  • It's understandable i suppose seeing as the clubs pay the wages. I've seen Brazil or Argentina play in the early hours of our thursday morning, so by the time that player has flown back to Europe it's friday and he's knackered, not exactly ideal if his club need him for saturday.
  • Chris old boy its the EURO qualifiers , not sure Brazil or the Argies play it that one .
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]It's understandable i suppose seeing as the clubs pay the wages. I've seen Brazil or Argentina play in the early hours of our thursday morning, so by the time that player has flown back to Europe it's friday and he's knackered, not exactly ideal if his club need him for saturday.[/quote]

yes, but they know that when they sign the player and offer him the wages that they do
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Chris old boy its the EURO qualifiers , not sure Brazil or the Argies play it that one .

Ha ha a good point! In that case fck off Platini!!
  • Ah, so consideration for the fans takes a back seat - there's a surprise...
  • STOP PRESS: Football Authority in "We couldn't give a flying frig about punters' best interests" shocker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep just so the G14 are happy the world and his wife have to take an extra day off work. Morons the lot of them.
  • I actually think Friday night games could be quite fun. In the pub, few beers, football and home. No drama.
  • Unless we all have a revolution ie all stop attending any games and dont pay sky we will keep on getting shafted like we have been for the past couple of decades.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I actually think Friday night games could be quite fun. In the pub, few beers, football and home. No drama.

exactly what I was thinking
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I actually think Friday night games could be quite fun. In the pub, few beers, football and home. No drama.

Yeah for the armchair fan it's not a problem, but for the people who travel away (like ISLS) it's going to be a right pain in the arse.

What if you are a Geordie who follows england religiously and have to take x days off work now to get to wembley let alone all fans having to go to other countries for away trips
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I actually think Friday night games could be quite fun. In the pub, few beers, football and home. No drama.

What if you are a Geordie who follows england religiously and have to take x days off work now to get to wembley let alone all fans having to go to other countries for away trips

Easy ...Dont be a Geordie ;-)
  • Fair point, when it comes to England games I see it as a good excuse to hit the pub and watch it with friends. Didn't really think about the people that want to go to the games.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite] Didn't really think about the people that want to go to the games.

Don't worry, neither did UEFA.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I actually think Friday night games could be quite fun. In the pub, few beers, football and home. No drama.

Easy ...Dont be a Geordie ;-)

Good point. There will probably be a local day of mourning when the news hits merseyside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gives me the hump as I go to all the England home Qualifiers, but I would take a day off for a midweek game anyway, just means I waste another days holiday for the Friday instead of saturday games as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Gives me the hump as I go to all the England home Qualifiers, but I would take a day off for a midweek game anyway, just means I waste another days holiday for the Friday instead of saturday games as well.

I obviously don't know your routine but why not take 2 half days instead, then you don't lose out on holiday. I'm sure you can still get pissed if you finish work at 1pm.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]What if you are a Geordie who follows england religiously and have to take x days off work now to get to wembley let alone all fans having to go to other countries for away trips

What an absolutely ridiculous post.

Geordies don't work.
  • IAIA
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Gives me the hump as I go to all the England home Qualifiers, but I would take a day off for a midweek game anyway, just means I waste another days holiday for the Friday instead of saturday games as well.

I obviously don't know your routine but why not take 2 half days instead, then you don't lose out on holiday. I'm sure you can still get pissed if you finish work at 1pm.

Not sure how easily you'd get to Bulgaria or (edit) Montenegro on a Friday after 1pm but before 7pm