Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Easter Rail strike

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody had any updates or knew of any 'inside' information about what the plan is.

Blooomin' disgrace if you ask me.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, will cause massive issues with MK Dons away and Carlisle at home.
  • Options
    Trust me, it's not a disgrace. It'll be a disgrace if Network Rail get their way and the traveling public end up dead. That'll cause some disruption then won't it, bits of bodies all over the railway...
  • Options
    So, I'm likely to be dead if I end up on a train over the weekend? I might aswell get a video package of our last ten games and top myself now then.
  • Options
    No people are likely to die if Network Rail get their wish to run more trains with less time and manpower to maintain the equipment and tracks. This dispute isn't over pay it's over safety. Safety for the workers and the traveling public.
  • Options
    Can't they do it the weekend after, I am not going to Southampton away?
  • Options
    I don't rate Middlesbrough's fans chances of getting to Plymouth on easter monday then!
  • Options
    Are they worth it? No idea, but I find it interesting.

According to a recent article in The Independent, documents filed with the trade union certification office, a regulatory body, reveal:

Tony Woodley joint General Secretary of Unite is said to have seen an increase in his pay and benefits package last year of 20 per cent, from £88,359 to £105,761. His salary alone rose by 10 per cent to £93,815 between 2007 and 2008, compared with a public sector average of 2.8 per cent.

Derek Simpson, Unite’s other joint general secretary, received a salary of £97,027, up 4 per cent on the previous year, housing benefit of £38,340 and £24,480 toward his chauffeur-driven car.

Bob Crow, the militant leader of the RMT rail union, saw his pay and benefits rise by 8 per cent to £91,646 in 2008.

Billy Hayes, leader of the 260,000-member Communication Workers Union, which is currently planning a series of postal strikes, was said to receive a 5% pay rise to £88,438.
  • Options
    When I worked on the railway (I left 10 years ago) the track was patrolled every day. It involved two, if not more men walking a section of track checking for damage, etc. Every bit of track was searched, on every line.
    I worked at Sevenoaks, and between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge there was 4 or 5 gangs of trackmen. These gangs only worked in their area of track, unless a big job was needed, and they knew every inch of that track.
    When railtrack took over, it went down to one gang who would walk the line once a week. When I left, the line didn't have a dedicated gang anymore, and the track was walked whenever they could, but normally one every two weeks.

So, now they want to cut it down even more, and we are ment to feel safe using the railway?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Are they worth it? No idea, but I find it interesting.

According to a recent article in The Independent, documents filed with the trade union certification office, a regulatory body, reveal:

Tony Woodley joint General Secretary of Unite is said to have seen an increase in his pay and benefits package last year of 20 per cent, from £88,359 to £105,761. His salary alone rose by 10 per cent to £93,815 between 2007 and 2008, compared with a public sector average of 2.8 per cent.

Derek Simpson, Unite’s other joint general secretary, received a salary of £97,027, up 4 per cent on the previous year, housing benefit of £38,340 and £24,480 toward his chauffeur-driven car.

Bob Crow, the militant leader of the RMT rail union, saw his pay and benefits rise by 8 per cent to £91,646 in 2008.

Billy Hayes, leader of the 260,000-member Communication Workers Union, which is currently planning a series of postal strikes, was said to receive a 5% pay rise to £88,438.

If their membership dont think they worth it they can vote them out when the elections come round.
  • Options
    My very well placed source reckons the first strike will be on Tuesday 6th April (ie the first workday back after Easter) rather than over the weekend itself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope the strike is not over the Easter weekend, quite happy for it on a working day, not a holiday period.
  • Options
    floydandharvey....that's interesting. I have heard all sorts, the most surprising one being that they are planning a 6-day strike starting from Thursday. This was said by one of their workers on the hush hush.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]My very well placed source reckons the first strike will be on Tuesday 6th April (ie the first workday back after Easter) rather than over the weekend itself.

I hope not as i'm going to Wales as it's 1965jrs birthday the following day and i've already bought my ticket :(
  • Options
    Bob Crow - pub landlord
  • Options
    I am heading for Wales myself Thursday night to see family, not impressed with Bob Crow at all, dislike the man intensely, always seems to be spoiling for a fight, its always the public that suffer when they strike, always seems to be a holiday period, I know it gets them publicity but its not going to get the public in side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]Bob Crow - C U Next Tuesday

couldn't have put it better myself ;-)
  • Options
    It's a shame that we can't fight for our rights. Ow yes we can. Put it in writing.
  • Options
    bob crow does a bloody good job for his members THE PEOPLE WHO PAY HIS WAGES
  • Options
    Ah the concept of a service industry
  • Options
    That's nice...but not such a good job for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starting on April 6th for 4 days, c*nts
  • Options
    FFS!!!
  • Options
    TSSA supervisory staff will walk out from 6-9 April, while RMT signalling workers will strike between 0600-1000 and 1800-2200 on the same dates.

Infrastructure operator Network Rail has said most services would be cancelled if a strike was announced.

So that means most likely Southampton will be a no go, although heres hoping South West Trains or Southern arent on strike then
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    TSSA supervisory staff will walk out from 6-9 April, while RMT signalling workers will strike between 0600-1000 and 1800-2200 on the same dates.

Infrastructure operator Network Rail has said most services would be cancelled if a strike was announced.

So that means most likely Southampton will be a no go, although heres hoping South West Trains or Southern arent on strike then

Oh damn i've bought tickets to go to Southampton from Wales for this as well.......GRRR!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Hope the strike is not over the Easter weekend, quite happy for it on a working day, not a holiday period.

Not me, don't get paid if I don't get into work, and very unlikely to get in with no trains. So would mean a weeks less wages for me :-(

Got lucky last week with the BA strikes, landed six hours before it started, so hoping that my luck will carry through to the trains as well.