Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

smoking in cars to be banned?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]LOL only in Amsterdam for me and the ocasional Saturday eve after a stressful time on the terraces but minus weed (in moderation) drugs is a mugs game. Class A's are in my eyes a massive waste of time and i wouldnt bother with any of them. In many aspects i think Weed is better for people than alchohol (when you see how some people react on alchohol) but everything in moderation.

I find weed is the worst. Cant see the benefit of a drug that makes you tired and sometimes sick.

Try Global Gathering or SW4 and then see if you think class A's are a complete waste of time......in moderation of course ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]LOL only in Amsterdam for me and the ocasional Saturday eve after a stressful time on the terraces but minus weed (in moderation) drugs is a mugs game. Class A's are in my eyes a massive waste of time and i wouldnt bother with any of them. In many aspects i think Weed is better for people than alchohol (when you see how some people react on alchohol) but everything in moderation.

I find weed is the worst. Cant see the benefit of a drug that makes you tired and sometimes sick.

Try Global Gathering or SW4 and then see if you think class A's are a complete waste of time......in moderation of course ;-)

I have mates who go to lots of festivals like GLobal and the others too. I am not really into Drugs in the slightest but will not mock or ridicule others for what they want to take or try its their choice at the end of the day. I have tried Mushrooms and Coke and neither would i bother with again its just not my bag. Sounds sad but i wouldrather spend my money on football. But sticking to the topic Weed is the only Drug i personally will bother with mate (as you say in moderation of course ;-)).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]But sticking to the topic Weed is the only Drug i personally will bother with mate (as you say in moderation of course ;-)).

I thought the topic was the possible banning of smoking cigs in a car?!?!?!?
  • Options
    I find people that drink alcohol in the street far more offensive than smokers. In addition the use / misuse of alcohol takes up a third of the emrgency services whereas the revenue from smoking goes a long way to giving me a decent pension...puff away boys, no complaints here!
  • Options
    Would never smoke in the car with a kid. But it's the only chance i get to light up in the morning, so they can't take that away from me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]the revenue from smoking goes a long way to giving me a decent pension...puff away boys, no complaints here!

Do you run a newsagents?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The clue is in the word PENSION F&H...retired people dont usually run anything...I have trouble running a bath!
  • Options
    I only really smoke in my car (no kids) unless I'm out drinking, if
    they banned it then it would probably help me quit a hell if a lot.
  • Options
    Not sure how people smoking helps you, then, given that every cigarette smoked costs the UK economy 6.5p.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]But sticking to the topic Weed is the only Drug i personally will bother with mate (as you say in moderation of course ;-)).

I thought the topic was the possible banning of smoking cigs in a car?!?!?!?

Sorry the topic mentioned at that point of post not the whole topic of the thread sorry i should have made myself clearer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't smoke and would request that any passengers in my vehicle also refrain from smoking.

That however is a decision I take as an individual. It is no business of any Govenment what individuals do or don't do in their own vehicle as long as other roadusers are not endangered.

I would rather my taxes be spent on prevention of violent attacks on the person, to name just one of many more important issues, than whether or not people smoke in the privacy of their own vehicles.

We lose our freedom inch by inch and will only regain it with blood I fear.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Twenty of Britain’s most senior doctors call today for a ban on smoking in cars as part of a sweeping expansion of laws to protect children against the effects of inhaling smoke.

Writing in a letter to The Times, the doctors argue for more anti-smoking legislation to address the serious health problems caused by passive smoking.

The signatories, including 13 presidents of medical royal colleges, urge the Government to bring in laws prohibiting all smoking in vehicles and in public places visited by young people such as parks and playgrounds.

The letter recommends a comprehensive strategy to cut adult smoking and children’s smoke exposure outside and inside the home. About two million children are exposed to cigarette smoke at home, with a child twice as likely to take up the habit if a close family member smokes.

The doctors say that the national strategy must include tobacco price rises, media campaigns, more effective health warnings and better provision of smoking cessation services.

A report today by the Royal College of Physicians warns of the toll on health and the NHS caused by passive smoking. It concludes that more than 300,000 GP appointments and 9,500 hospital admissions a year are caused by the effects of smoke on children, costing the NHS about £23 million. Paediatric health problems attributable to second-hand smoke include 20,000 cases of lower respiratory tract infection, 120,000 cases of middle-ear disease and 200 cases of bacterial meningitis, it estimates. About 40 sudden infant deaths are also caused by passive smoking annually.

The doctors writing in The Times point to the report’s evidence of passive smoking “as a major cause of death and disease in children [which can] be avoided entirely”.

They argue: “Smoke-free legislation needs to be extended much more widely, to include public places visited by children and young people, and including prohibition of all smoking in cars and other vehicles. As doctors we call on the Government to take the necessary action to protect our children’s future.”

The report’s authors, the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians, concluded that laws banning smoking in enclosed public places, introduced in Scotland in 2006 and the rest of the UK in 2007, had been highly effective. But there were “still gaps that needed to be closed”.

The change in the law was supposed to cover vehicles used for work but it was rarely enforced, the group said. A total ban would address the problem, and ensure all children were protected. However, it remains unclear how rigorously police officers would enforce any change to criminalise all motorists and passengers who smoke.

John Britton, the report’s lead author, said that new measures could include banning parents from smoking at school gates, but added that it would be difficult to legislate for situations such as family parties in private gardens. “This report isn’t just about protecting children from passive smoking, it’s about taking smoking completely out of children’s lives. Adults need to think about who’s seeing them smoke.”

Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer, said that the report was very valuable and would be considered in the Department of Health review of the legislation in England this year.

Simon Clark, of the smokers’ lobby group Forest, said that banning smoking in cars was unacceptable and unenforceable. “Adults should be allowed to use their common sense,” he said.
  • Options
    Anyone who smokes in a car with their kids in should be done for abuse, absolute abhorant thing to do even when i smoked i would never smoke in the car if i had NLJR in it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Anyone who smokes in a car with their kids in should be done for abuse, absolute abhorant thing to do even when i smoked i would never smoke in the car if i had NLJR in it

But its their decission is it not but then i have no children so maybe when i do i might think differently.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Anyone who smokes in a car with their kids in should be done for abuse, absolute abhorant thing to do even when i smoked i would never smoke in the car if i had NLJR in it

But its their decission is it not but then i have no children so maybe when i do i might think differently.

Yes it is the adults decision not the kids and it has to rate as one of the single most selfish thing an adult can do to a child without including the obvious

what chance are you giving the poor little thing
  • Options

It's also a parents choice if they want to beat their kid or not, doesnt make it OK.
  • Options
    Cant they just wind down the window when they have a fag?
  • Options
    F&H...every cigarette may well cost our economy 6.7 pence in healthcare whatever...but as there is a tax levy of 9.2 pence on every cigarette, that by my calculations is a lot of two and a half pences (5 billion pounds a year to be exact)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

It's also a parents choice if they want to beat their kid or not, doesnt make it OK.

Well to beat a child is illegal is it not? To smoke a ciggy is not so surely the two are not comparatable.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Yes it is the adults decision not the kids and it has to rate as one of the single most selfish thing an adult can do to a child without including the obvious

what chance are you giving the poor little thing

NLA i do very much see your point here. I also as a smoker myself think that if you cant just wait to have a smoke then its probably time to give up. Its a bit like smoking at train stations. I see people allot sneeking off to the bottom of platforms for a smoke and i just think can you not just wait til you get home then you dont have to put up with being hounded and fined just for having a smoke. I mean i dont smoke loads but if someone asks me not to smoke i will just wait until i can, i wont moan about it. So it would be the same with kids in cars i would personally (if i had children) not smoke arouond them and wait til htey had gone to bed and then have one but thats just my own opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Cant they just wind down the window when they have a fag?

Beat me to it, was going to say the same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]F&H...every cigarette may well cost our economy 6.7 pence in healthcare whatever...but as there is a tax levy of 9.2 pence on every cigarette, that by my calculations is a lot of two and a half pences (5 billion pounds a year to be exact)

No, 6.5p is the NET loss to the economy. Smoking brings in £10 billion in tobacco tax, but costs £13.74 billion due to smoking related illnesses (healthcare, work days lost through illness, etc). This was all over the papers a couple of days ago, big report called Cough Up. People have been pedalling the myth for years that smokers actually contribute more to the economy through smoking tax than the results of their smoking take out. The new report demonstrably proves this is not the case. Smokers cost the economy a net loss of £3.74 billion (which apparently averages out at circa 6.5p per cigarette smoked), and it's on the basis of this report that tobacco taxes are being increased over the next few years to cover the deficit. As I say, it's been in all the newspapers/TV in the run up to the budget. Full details, including how much each packet of different brands of cigarettes costs the economy at this link:

http://www.gm.tv/articles/46647-embargo-smoking-cost-rise.html
  • Options
    F&H Taking it you are right on this one, I shudder to think what the consumption of alcohol costs us...I'm sure you will tell us.
  • Options
    Or mental issues and heart disease brought about by stress in the workplace...
  • Options
    I don't smoke, neither do I allow others to smoke in my car. I also think it wrong of people to smoke in any environment where others can inhale their smoke, whether they be children or adults.

However, how will this be policed? Will this be yet another excuse for the police to waste their time chasing easy and trivial targets - i.e. the motorist yet again, when they should be concentrating on real crimes such as burglary and street violence. When I had my house broken into about 2 years ago, it took the police 12 hours to respond to a 999 call and when they did eventually pitch up, I was told that burglaries were no longer considered a priority!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Cant they just wind down the window when they have a fag?

Beat me to it, was going to say the same.

So the kids can stick thier head out of it to get some fresh air I suppose?

Touching on the other thread I would be very happy to give my vote to any party that has the total ban on tobacco products as part of its manifesto. We are talking about banning this new drug thingy asap because of a couple of (very sad) deaths yet smoking kills upteen 100,000 every year.
  • Options
    Or what about banning people who ponce fags when its not even the brand that they smoke ? Thats just plain poncing for the sake of it
  • Options
    Sod smoking in front of kids - What about parents with overweight children?
    They should be taken into care and the parents sterilised.
    If their 10 year old was 2 stone underweight they would be taken away from them
    Just cause they are 2 stone overweight they are allowed to get away with it.
    In fact - give these overweight kids free cigarettes to suppress their appetite.

Sorry - slightly off topic.
  • Options
    Good point Mr.OL. That's the trouble with this kind of debate, how far do you take things?

I am sceptical about how much each fag apparently cost the country - how is that worked out? "Smoking related illnesses" - does that include any smoking related illness, even those infecting non-smokers?

How much do broken legs from kids falling off swings cost the country - there is no financial gain from those kids having swings in the first place, so why should the NHS (and us non-swingers or non child inflictors) pay for the kids plaster cast?

See what I am getting at?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Or what about banning people who ponce fags when its not even the brand that they smoke ? Thats just plain poncing for the sake of it

Well we did have good excuse being locked behind millwalls gates so were unable to purchase any - had even took one of Buckshee's lady before you!

must say good job its not like our crap rules where you're not allowed to smoke outside the east stand.. and good job you had some left. thats all i can say!