Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best bits of commentary

The sad passing of Harry Carpenter (RIP) has got me thinking of some of the most famous/funniest and best bits of commentary from the past.

Funniest thing I ever heard was by Brian Johnson during a England v WIndies test match:

"And the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie."

gets me laughing just thinking about it. Also 'your boys took one hell of a beating' rings in my ears thinking to the most memorable bits.
post some gems you remember!

Comments

• I always liked the (was it?) Brian Moore commentary when Michael Thomas won the league for Aresenal up at Anfield. Reminds of the time I really really loved football as a kid and just hearing his voice makes me think of how much better it seemed back in those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85wbuePV8w
  • edited March 2010
    "Where were the Germans, but frankly who cares?" Barry Davies - mens hockey final 1988 olympics after GB's third goal.

YouTube clip
  • i thought of when harry carpenter commentated on the bruno tyson fight.
    i can't remember the exact words but when bruno hit tyson his voice got louder and raised a few octaves "....... bruno has caught tyson, and tyson is hurt" he then went from commentator mode, to fan mode with a "go on frank".
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]andthis.

You can't help but laugh when he's trying to get what he wants to say across but instead sounds like a squealing pig lmao
  • And the inimitable David Coleman, ' Cuban runner........Juanito opened his legs and showed his class',
  • Akpo Sodje and the penis penalty claim gets my bid.
  • The Harry Carpenter Bruno line was "get in there Frank" remember laughing at in Woolwich coronet where they showed the fight live.

Another favorite for me was the additional noise the commentary box when Wilkinson dropped the winner in the rugby world cup. The commentary was barely audible over the screams of co-commentators and the like.
  • Quick bump as I found the video I've been looking for..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg3stiU9V_M
  • When looking for Barry Davies commentating on that Bergkamp goal against the Argies I stumbled across this, I think he was quite happy with the effort
    Dennis Bergkamp
  • Sponsored links:

• Best bit of commentary ever was the play off final and Colin Powell being unable to speak and passing the microphone back to Mark Mansfield. Another one I liked was euro 96, when Stefan Kuntz equalised against England, Barry Davies just screamed Kuntz .... it said it all
  • It must be the Essien rape comment from a certain A.Pardew. Complete Idiot.

Alan Pardew
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]It must be the Essien rape comment from a certain A.Pardew. Complete Idiot.

[url=[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx94jwmMxPs[/url]]Alan Pardew[/url][/quote]

some of the comments that people have put underneath though, some people seem to think its a good thing to say!
  • Can't remember who said it but something along the lines of "Amazingly, in slow motion he seems to stay in the air for even longer"
  • Barry Davies.
    1991 FA Cup Semi-Final. Spurs v Ars*nal.

Still get shivers down my spine every time I see this...the commentary, well, Davies just says it all really.

Gazza = Legend