Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please & Thankyou

I apologise if this has been done before but I just have to get it out of my system.
Approx 30 minutes ago, I put diesel in my car, ready to work tonight and went into the shop to pay.
The girl behind the jump asked me for £20-64 and held her hand out.
This infuriated me so much that I had to say something, "and?" I replied
"£20-64" was the reply whilst still holding her hand out, "and?" I said again "what little word are you missing out?"
By this time about three or four people had queued up behind me and I shouted at the top of my voice "SAY PLEASE"
"you are not gonna get a penny off of me until you say please!"
She looked at me with daggers and mumbled please and I paid her.
She gave me the change and I replied with a thankyou but absolutely nothing from her.
This is happening more and more nowadays and I feel I need to take it upon myself to start a crusade against the rude people.
Thankyou for listening.

Comments

• Options
    Did you boo her for her poor performance ?
  • Options
    Funny you say that, in Sainsburys earlier on my girlfriend walked up to a till only to be told to 'go away im still serving someone' despite the fact nobody was there, nor was any shopping. She then literally stood there and did nothing whilst someone else served us.

I was going to start boo'ing, but got scared that she might start crying and I'd have Parky banging at me door!
  • Options
    Works the other way around too though. In my little imaginary world I refuse to serve anybody that comes into my shop and attempts to carry out the whole transaction whilst on the mobile phone. Drives me crazy watching people do this in the queue in front of me without so much as a nod to the staff serving them....as do more and more things actually.
  • Options
    or when you go into a shop and they are on the phone for the entire time, drives me nuts

but the worst of the worst is when you go into a petrol ststion, walk up to the counter and open with "no fuel" and then buy smokes, or coffee or whatever and then they say "any fuel" I could kill, really I could...

and I realise this is both thread hijack and a little too uptight for my own good

it's still about manners though

...so Parky, what did you think of today's game............"any fuel?"
  • Options
    I was collecting a car the other day: customer comes to the door,mobile clamped to her ear and says ' Oh, the little man's come for the car', gets key and gives it to me whilst still yacking away then shuts door in my face. Felt like kicking it, still 'little man' was a bit of a compliment: perhaps the diet is working after all!
  • Options
    Wish I had a better memory so that I would never let some people in in a traffic jam if they hadn't acknowledged/thanked me for the time I had let them in before.......
  • Options
    Where shall I vent my frustration at the poor English used in some posts on here and elsewhere? It's not 'Thankyou', it's 'Thank you'. It's not 'alot' either

;-)
  • Options
    I always say please and thank you, and, where appropriate Sir or Madam. Even in the chavy, self obsessed society we live in, it still amazes me how just how far being civil to people can get you.
  • Options
    Poor service really annoys me. The whole not saying please thing really winds me up, I just refuse to acknowledge that people who do this sort of thing have even said anything. One time I was in Sainsburys in Forest Hill when I paid a very surly looking checkout assistant for my shopping who not only didn't say please, but then actually threw, yes threw, my change across to me. I went absolutely ballistic. I refused to move until the store manager was fetched. It was particularly disappointing as usually the staff on the checkouts at Sainsburys Forest Hill are quite friendly and up for a chat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite] It was particularly disappointing as usually the staff on the checkouts at Sainsburys Forest Hill are quite friendly and up for a chat.

This last sentence could have been lifted straight out of an Alan Bennett monologue ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mind you i learned the Somali for "good morning" while parking at ASDA Charlton its " Car wash".
  • Options
    politeness should be drilled into kids when they are younger then it becomes a habit. My mates comment on the fact that i say three different types of thankyou when i get served. Always say ''ta..cheers...thanks.'' without even realising.
    Cant stand people not saying please or thankyou....drives me mad. Its one word (or in my case three) that just makes things so much more pleasant!
  • Options
    "can I get?" in place of "please may" or "please can" always raises my blood pressure.
  • Options
    why do we get the receipt, then the paper money, then the coins on top of that....it is a sod to deal with, and the coins can too easily be dropped....coins in the palm first I reckon, then paper stuff to be grasped in the now available fingers.
  • Options
    In the barbers, if they wash your hair (and there is a whole essay to be written about that experience), they say...'would you like to come over?', what if you said 'no'?
  • Options
    Well done Creepy for fighting the good fight.

Manners get you far in life, and if you have been brought up with them, then your parents have done you a big favour. Being polite has opened doors for me (literally and figuratively) on many occasions; people react to you much more positively and will often go out of their way to help you, so not being polite works against someone in the long run. Sometimes, I do do a creepy, though and remind people of those little words that mean a lot!
  • Options
    Try this ...

Next time you are on the phone being held in a queue (because your call is important to us, but we still can't be arsed to employ any more staff, so naturally everyone is busy at the moment with other clients) ... feel free to engage the automated message system in a cheery, but equally patronising conversation along the following lines:

Automated phone voice: "One of our representatives will be with you shortly"

You: "Oh, that's OK. I realise that you must be terribly busy ... and I really don't want to create any unnecessary stress for you"

Automated phone voice: "Please hold the line. We appreciate your patience"

You: "Oh, you are kind. It really doesn't matter. I'm quite happy to wait. It's what I was born for"

Automated phone voice: "All of our operators are busy at the moment. Please continue to hold"

You: "Not a problem. At 10p per minute, I'm OK to waste another hour or so. Have you had your lunch yet?"

It's strangely therapeutic - trust me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]"what little word are you missing out?"
    By this time about three or four people had queued up behind me and I shouted at the top of my voice "SAY PLEASE"
    "you are not gonna get a penny off of me until you say please!"
    She looked at me with daggers and mumbled please and I paid her.
    She gave me the change and I replied with a thankyou but absolutely nothing from her.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You should be more polite. Shouting at people is never going to be received well, and nor should it. You should also say 'please' when making a request.

Please try to bear this in mind in future dealings with your fellow citizens.

;-)
  • Options
    Oh, I don't know. An insincere 'thank you' and 'have a nice day' doesn't do much for me.

I know what you mean though
  • Options
    Being quite bad tempered I can appear very rude at times but so far this has got me nowhere. In stark contrast Mister Windscreen has perfect manners, and is charming even to people that are rude to him...yes you guessed, hes always the winner and always lucky...about time I learnt my lesson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate it when the stewardesses put a lime in my G&T without even asking. BA are quite right to sack them, imho.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I hate it when the stewardesses put a lime in my G&T without even asking. BA are quite right to sack them, imho.[/quote]

If they put in a lime, it's fine. They always seem to put lemon in mine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I hate it when the stewardesses put a lime in my G&T without even asking. BA are quite right to sack them, imho.
    ... and cabin crew absolutely LOVE being called stewardesses ;o)
  • Options
    You lot need to stop reading the Daily Mail. Please. Thank you.
  • Options
    Just before Christmas my wife filled up her car and bought a Twix at a petrol station

The attendant was on the phone to India and didn't acknowledge her at all. She put her card in the machine and paid.

Next month we got the credit card bill and it came up at £0.59 - he hadn't added the petrol despite wifey clearly stating the pump number.

Mrs Swisdom 1 BP 0

Sadly this moral victory doesn't make up for the royal shafting the petrol stations are giving us right now.
  • Options
    In my local Sainsburys they've all started adding 'and how are you' to the usual hello. Gotta admit it annoys me because it feels forced and you need to self conciously mumble 'fine thks and how are you.....' Just a smile and hello is much nicer.
  • Options
    Without going too far OT it grates when im grabbing a drink from a coffeshop at a station and its one of those chains like upper crust or costa and the conversation goes:

Me: Large (Insert beverage) to take away please *attempt to hand over correct money as in rush for train*

Server:"Any baguette or muffin for you sir?"

I know the poor sod serving has to ask that question as they are worried about secret shoppers from Head office catching them not doing it but it is a ridiculous ploy. I can quite seriously say that if wanted extra said items then usually my thought process would have been sufficient enough to ensure that I requested a baguette or muffin for me sir when placing my original order.

And no matter how much enthusiasm young Abdul behind the counter displays he will not convince me into this extra sale as he neither possesses the sales-man-like charm of Delboy
    nor the hypnotic prowress of Paul McKenna.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Works the other way around too though. In my little imaginary world I refuse to serve anybody that comes into my shop and attempts to carry out the whole transaction whilst on the mobile phone. Drives me crazy watching people do this in the queue in front of me without so much as a nod to the staff serving them....as do more and more things actually.[/quote]

Spot on .... I'd refuse to serve anyone on a phone if it was me
  • Options
    People who want to push pass you and say "sorry". THE WORDS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ARE EXCUSE ME!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Without going too far OT it grates when im grabbing a drink from a coffeshop at a station and its one of those chains like upper crust or costa and the conversation goes:

Me: Large (Insert beverage) to take away please *attempt to hand over correct money as in rush for train*

Server:"Any baguette or muffin for you sir?"

I know the poor sod serving has to ask that question as they are worried about secret shoppers from Head office catching them not doing it but it is a ridiculous ploy. I can quite seriously say that if wanted extra said items then usually my thought process would have been sufficient enough to ensure that I requested a baguette or muffin for me sir when placing my original order.

And no matter how much enthusiasm young Abdul behind the counter displays he will not convince me into this extra sale as he neither possesses the sales-man-like charm of Delboy
    nor the hypnotic prowress of Paul McKenna.

On the subject of fuel stations, they should take away all the bloody coffee and shopping too!