Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curbs To Bristol City?!

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Bookies favourite apparently. Surely he can do better than that?

http://www.givemefootball.com/championship/curbs-in-driving-seat-for-robins-job?

Former Charlton and West Ham manager Alan Curbishley has emerged as the bookies’ favourite to replace Gary Johnson at Bristol City.

Johnson left the club by mutual consent earlier this week after guiding the Robins to just two wins from their last 12 games.

City chairman Steve Lansdown has said he could make a quick appointment if the right candidate applies for the post, while Johnson’s assistant Keith Millen will take charge for tomorrow’s televised clash with leaders Newcastle.

Lansdown has yet to hold talks with any potential replacement for Johnson but Curbishley has been cut in the betting after a ‘deluge of bets’ were placed on him to be the next boss at Ashton Gate.

Managers

Bookmaker Victor Chandler’s spokesman Neal Wilkins said: “It has been a fair old gamble and we have had to cut his price several times from 12/1 to 6/4.

“The way it is going he could be a lot shorter in the near future. With the new stadium on the horizon, Bristol City is an attractive proposition to many managers, and we expect a few more names to be backed before a decision is made.”

City have slipped to 15th in the table, just six points above the drop-zone, and another defeat against the highflying Magpies tomorrow could see them dragged into a relegation battle.

Millen, who was also Brian Tinnion’s assistant when he was sacked by the City board in 2005, said: “It is probably a lot harder this time.

“I had a good working relationship with Brian, but Gary and I are close friends. From a personal point of view, it is difficult to accept, but I am an employee of the club and my focus has to turn to the Newcastle game.

“I don’t know how the players feel. You could say our performances and results have let the manager down. There are lots of reasons but when things are not going well the manager has to take the brunt of it.

“We have been here together for four years, but we have to move on. It is my job to ensure the lads are ready physically and mentally for tomorrow.

“I can honestly say I haven’t looked as far ahead as to who will replace Gary. I would like to be a manager but you have to work out when is the right time and place.”

Comments

• What team has he NOT been linked to since leaving
  • I'll put my money on a return to The Boleyn after Zola leaves at the end of the season.
  • can't see curbs taking this job unless they have some money to spend.
  • I reckon it'll be the sort of jobs he'd take. Very much like us in size of Club and potential but with them building a stadium for the World Cup bid they are looking to push on. I can't see Curbs getting a job with a top Club in the PL and neither can I see him getting a job with any London club in the PL even West Ham. At Bristol City he'd have the chance to rebuild a Club as he did with us and can live in a nice area of the country. If offered I reckon he'll take it.
  • Many Premiership chairmen will steer clear following his claim against West Ham.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I reckon it'll be the sort of jobs he'd take. Very much like us in size of Club and potential but with them building a stadium for the World Cup bid they are looking to push on. I can't see Curbs getting a job with a top Club in the PL and neither can I see him getting a job with any London club in the PL even West Ham. At Bristol City he'd have the chance to rebuild a Club as he did with us and can live in a nice area of the country. If offered I reckon he'll take it.
    I'd agree with that. Didn't know they were getting a new stadium though, how big is it going to be? Or will it be more about it being much more modern than what they have?
  • ipswitch
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Many Premiership chairmen will steer clear following his claim against West Ham.

Why, he only claimed for money he would have been due had he waited to be sacked.
  • He's waiitng for Hodgson to takeover from Capello and he'll be off to Fulham
  • I think he would do well explore other options. Deserves a bigger club than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I think he would do well explore other options. Deserves a bigger club than that.

he doesn't seem to be able to get one though. I don't think he can be too picky anymore. His reputation is not what it once was and Hull ruled him out of the running pretty swiftly.

He was hard done by at West Ham imo but your achievements are quickly forgotten. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a championship job. At that level though he'd have enough choice to pick the right club with the right set up to take them forward.
  • what like us
  • Bristol City are building a new stadium for the World Cup are they not?
  • I still think he can do better than them even in the Championship. And he was extremely badly treated at Wet Spam(as you can see Gianfranco is doing that job so very well). I'm sure the Hull chairman could never believe in a million years that Dowie is a better manager than Curbs(if he does he is a posterior), I would imagine the Hull job was to much of a poison challice for Curbs to consider, Ipswich Town at some point would be a good one for Curbs.
  • All the cider you can drink and a penthouse suite in nelson mandela house what else would you possibly need...
  • edited March 2010
    I hope you're right and it is just curbs holding on for something better. But i do wonder how he's viewed these days and whether he's getting (unfairly) put in the same group as other british managers who have done really well somewhere before their careers have stalled. Richard Murray was saying at that Q+A about Curbs having to set his sights lower than when his reputation was at its peak. The fact that we're suggesting ipswich for Curbs backs that up, as in the past he would surely only have considered good premiership jobs where he would be going into a situation where a lot of the work had already been done, instead of having to build a club up.
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I'm sure the Hull chairman could never believe in a million years that Dowie is a better manager than Curbs(if he does he is a posterior), I would imagine the Hull job was to much of a poison challice for Curbs to consider, Ipswich Town at some point would be a good one for Curbs.

Fair point about Hull. Dowie was an odd choice there after overseeing 2 PL relegations and being involved when newcastle went down. But dowie has got 'the talk' and maybe that's what keeps getting him work.
  • My understanding was that Curbs ruled himself out of the Hull job rather than the other way round.
  • Even tho its been a few years seing curbs at anywhere else just feels wrong, I see scott parker in his west ham kit no reaction, konchesky and murphy no reaction, just the thought of him in another teams dugout feels and looks wrong, its like your best mate who you've known for 20 odd years just blanking you in the street. Do you think he thinks about us or couldn't give 2 monkeys? If p diddy or paddy power wanted to buy us and offerd him a mega deal would he come?
  • edited March 2010
    I think you are correct in that understanding Len I'm sure he ruled himself out of that little scrape. To BBClaus- I certainly agree that Curbs realistically can't limit himself to Premier League appointments I think an ambitious Championship club could be a good place for him. The idea of him at Bristol City however just gives me the shivers! Maybe next season a recently promoted South London side that play in red and white might be a good place to go!
  • curbishley linked with the robbins! he's a quality manager who has yet to fail. not good enough to get a top 6 club but i am sure many chairman would love a manager that consistently delivers mid table premiership football.

i did used to cringe when our supporters would consistently be ringing the football radio stations wanting him out every week and wanting us to move to the next level.netaddicks was similarly depressing with such a vocal minority with the same extreme ideas.

good luck to him and i don't think i could ever wish him any ill will after the fantastic service that he gave for our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]He's waiitng for Hodgson to takeover from Capello and he'll be off to Fulham

Or Moyes or O'Neill when either of them move to Man Utd assuming they're not too far away from the M25.
  • edited March 2010
    Bizarre-that other noted CAFC manager Jimmy Seed went to Bristol City as an advisor after he left Charlton and ended up doing a stint as caretaker manager. To spare sensitivities, I'll pass over what he did after that just in case Curbs gets any ideas.....
  • Curbs is 'very' settled in Essex....he won't want to go far....very attached to his family and surroundings.
    He's got all the money he's ever likely to need for the rest of his days.
    Can't see him moving away from his roots and family at this time in his life...........if ever.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Many Premiership chairmen will steer clear following his claim against West Ham.

Why, he only claimed for money he would have been due had he waited to be sacked.

He took them for constructive dismissal. No employer likes 'a trouble-maker' in any industry (which you risk being seen as if you do what he did). I imagine chairmen like to sell players when they get a good offer and like to have the final say in transfer dealings. They may fear having to relinquish that control if they employed Curbishley.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Curbs is 'very' settled in Essex....he won't want to go far....very attached to his family and surroundings.
    He's got all the money he's ever likely to need for the rest of his days.
    Can't see him moving away from his roots and family at this time in his life...........if ever.

Exactly right. Curbs is the 'King of the comfort zone'. Not saying it's wrong .. just the way it is.

Where are all those pundits now who felt sure he'd take the Bolton job ... or Newcastle ... or Hull in recent weeks ... or anywhere else North of Watford?

Bristol City might be a decent shout ... but I'm not convinced, despite what I hear on the grapevine.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

He took them for constructive dismissal. No employer likes 'a trouble-maker' in any industry (which you risk being seen as if you do what he did). I imagine chairmen like to sell players when they get a good offer and like to have the final say in transfer dealings. They may fear having to relinquish that control if they employed Curbishley.

Then maybe the chairman at west ham shouldn't have said curbs has the final saying on all transfers in and out
  • I agree Oohaah. Probably thought he could get away with it and/or Curbs couldn't prove it. I think my point is still a valid one though.
  • Lennie Lawrence commutes from Bromley to his job at Bristol Rovers.
  • if i was chairman i wouldn't let em pee my dough away .... i'm sure murray and co are wishing they'd had more of a say on dowie/pardews spending .... but they obviously showed too much trust cos they'd been spoilt with the curbs years
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Lennie Lawrence commutes from Bromley to his job at Bristol Rovers.[/quote]

Commutes is stretching it a bit there mist....he doesn't exactly go to and fro.