Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Talks with out of contract players begin

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=9752&headline=Charlton
STEVE Waggott says Charlton have begun negotiations with a number of the club’s players about extending their stays at The Valley beyond the summer.

Fourteen squad members are out of contract at the end of the season, with key figures like Lloyd Sam, Christian Dailly and Grant Basey all able to leave SE7 on free transfers in June.

But Waggott has assured supporters he will be doing everything he can to keep the club’s best players, as long as it makes financial sense for Charlton.

“We’ve got a range of ongoing talks with players at different levels,” said Waggott.

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Friday's South London Press.
Will probably take a while before we hear anything on the first team regulars I'd imagine. No rush for players like Sam to sign new deals, will surely ask for more if we're promoted as well. It's the younger players like Basey and Wagstaff that I think will be happy to stay either way.

Comments

• Does anyone have a list of all the players whose contracts are expiring this summer?

Definitely think Basey and Waggy deserve new deals.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Does anyone have a list of all the players whose contracts are expiring this summer?

Definitely think Basey and Waggy deserve new deals.
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=33109&Focus=657248#Comment_657248

Should be these 14-

Sam, Sodje, Randolph, Basey, Dailly, Burton, McKenzie, Spring, Sinclair, Dickson, Clark, Wagstaff, Solly and Stavrinou.
  • edited March 2010
  • I think we will TRY to keep:
    Sam
    Basey
    Daiily
    Burton
    Waggy
    Solly
    maybe Stav and Spring

the rest will be released
  • Out of contract players are in for a shock this summer as clubs get real with their heavy losses. I doubt if many clubs outside the prem will actually buy anyone. Clubs who live by the players they sell, like Crewe, could be in really dire trouble.
    As for our lot, is it better the devil we know? Will we get better than Daiily and Sam? I doubt if there is a better free than Burton, bearing in mind he has been carrying a hernia all season.
  • [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]As for our lot, is it better the devil we know? Will we get better than Daiily and Sam? I doubt if there is a better free than Burton, bearing in mind he has been carrying a hernia all season.
    If we stay down I doubt it, might get the odd lucky bargain that works out really well. More likely we'll get "ok" players like Matt Spring than players that could take us up.
  • Mr Waggott may have started ''a range of ongoing talks with players at different levels'' (what a convulted and meaningless phrase!). But apart from telling the likes of Dickson and McKenzie they will be surplus whatever happens, I'd suggest we wait until we know what division we'll be playing in and then cut our cloth accordingly. We may know the answer in seven weeks time. Or it might be ten.

Either way, not that long to wait.
  • i think it makes sense to start negotiations if a player might have some future transfer value. However not many on that list would have.
  • Can't see us keeping Dailly, he will be too old next year and I reckon there will be better options. Next year will be interesting if we stay down as budget will have to be cut right back so lets hope all footy clubs are in trouble and do the same thing!