Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Bailey the right choice as captain?

Genuine question, would like to know your views, as it's been bugging me.
Wind back to Q&A session with Parky. Question asked about Bailey and his suspected diving. Parky said he only went down when he was really injured but the difference was that Bailey was tough, got up again and got on with it. Can remember not being convinced at the time and neither were those around me.
Present day, Parky says too many players are blaming each other for poor performances, and I've noticed Bailey, amongst others, does this. Richardson, in contrast, encourages and supports. I remember Alan Shearer saying that when players turn on each other, you know you've got problems. Bailey is a grafter, albeit off form at present, but in these damaged times, is he the best choice as captain?

Comments

• no...I dont think we have a natural leader in the whole squad if Im honest
  • Wouldnt class him as a natural leader, but he has more grit & determination than the rest of em. Think Richardson needs to concentrate on improving his own game before taking on any more responsibility....been terrible lately.
  • I see Bailey shouting at Llera all the time
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Wouldnt class him as a natural leader, but he has more grit & determination than the rest of em. Think Richardson needs to concentrate on improving his own game before taking on any more responsibility....been terrible lately.
    That and agree Richardson needs to improve.
  • Yes he is right to be captain, countless times scores vital goals. never goes missing which is more then you can say for most the squad, always going to be a starter, probably the most vocal and influential from what i see. yes he has his faults but he is our no1 player ands as i have mentioned already no way Jose!

question to those who say no, who would you have instead?
  • edited March 2010
    As said we do not seem to have a natural leader. The only feasible alternative captains in my opinion would be Dailly or at a real pinch Burton.

Bailey has probably been chosen because of his "in your face" style which, in theory at least, might inspire the others.
  • edited March 2010
    No! Bailey (and the team) would definately benefit from losing the armband - BUT to who? Hmmm...

At the start of the season, I would have made Dailly captain, now I'm not so sure as he's playing just as bad as most.

Possibly Spring? Seems sensible enough, but not seen enough of him. Am a bit disappointed he has not been given a good run in this under-performing team. He had a great game up at Elland Road, very organised, linking well with Shelvey, Racon and Bailey. Hasn't really been given a chance since.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]No! Bailey (and the team) would definately benefit from losing the armband - BUT to who? Hmmm...

At the start of the season, I would have made Dailly captain, now I'm not so sure as he's playing just as bad as most.

Possibly Spring? Seems sensible enough, but not seen enough of him. Am a bit disappointed he has not been given a good run in this under-performing team. He had a great game up at Elland Road, very organised, linking well with Shelvey, Racon and Bailey.

So you will give the armband to someone you have admittedly not seen alot of? and cant even get in the side unless a couple of injuries ********applauds*******
  • Sometimes players deserve a bollocking from the captain.
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]No! Bailey (and the team) would definately benefit from losing the armband - BUT to who? Hmmm...

Possibly Spring? Seems sensible enough, but not seen enough of him. Am a bit disappointed he has not been given a good run in this under-performing team. He had a great game up at Elland Road, very organised, linking well with Shelvey, Racon and Bailey.

So you will give the armband to someone you have admittedly not seen alot of? and cant even get in the side unless a couple of injuries ********applauds*******

I think your'e taking me out of context - Re Spring: I am only 'speculating' who could have made captain instead of Bailey.

I don't think Bailey is a complete team player, getting a bunch of goals don't mean you are a great captain. I don't see much communication coming from bailey until the other team have scored then the 'blame culture' thing comes in then he acts like an idiot. He doesn't lead the other players in my opinion and he gives the ball away too much to be considered a good captain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like Baileys got quieter of late, needs to step up to the plate and lead the team.
  • I think next year we could see Grant Basey as our captain
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Sometimes players deserve a bollocking from the captain.

i agree. It's hard to judge how good a captain someone is without seeing more of how they talk to the players, what their like behind the scenes and in the dressing room etc. We see bailey shouting at llera but what's he like with him the rest of the time?

Dailly would be the next best choice, but he's probably doing the role of captain anyway without the official title - helping the younger players and using his experience. That't not a criticism of bailey - teams can and should have more than one leader out there.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I see Bailey shouting at Llera all the time

Along with thousands of us!

I really don't see much option other than Bailey at the moment apart from Dailly. Also think there's bigger problems to deal with. Can anyone really see certain individual players improving attitude and consistency (and ability!) just through a change of captain?
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Wouldnt class him as a natural leader, but he has more grit & determination than the rest of em. Think Richardson needs to concentrate on improving his own game before taking on any more responsibility....been terrible lately.

Spot on
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I think next year we could see Grant Basey as our captain

Maybe not next year but he's definitely captain material - he's very vocal and good organiser at the back, especially for one so young and inexperienced. Only question mark is if he'll turn out to be good enough to hold down a regular first team spot. Might stand a chance in midfield if we fail to get promoted and we get the expected exodus.

As for Bailey, I think he's been pretty poor throughout 2010 and seems to be a bit quick to bollock players rather than encourage but at least he's trying to be a leader. Not sure it comes totally naturally to him and he might benefit from having the responsibility taken away but not sure who else we could give it to, Dailly is probably to only real alternative and he's been out of form too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I think next year we could see Grant Basey as our captain
    never mind what i was gonna put here Exiled just hit the nail on the head!
  • edited March 2010
    Bailey has been our best player by far the last two seasons, he is the right choice as you look at the team and there isnt a single player who could do a better job. Southampton will look at him in the summer.

Basey going to get in the team over younga?