Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

gary johnson

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
said to be leaving bristol city this morning,come to the valley mate

Comments

• Despite a poor season this term, I think he is and could be a top manager, another option if we fail to go up. The board said promotion is a must no excuses so if we fail parky will have to go or another sign of doom.
  • Think he did a good job at Bristol City, can see quite a few clubs being interested in him. And if we ever got rid of Parky in the summer I could think of alot worse managers then Johnson.

Apparently he an altercation with the players after losing to Plymouth
  • He is a decent shout no doubt about it -but it sadly won't happen.
  • I would love to see him manage us, however sadly I cannot see any changes in that seat this season or next :-(
  • Surely he would've been a better appointment for Hull than Dowie?
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Surely he would've been a better appointment for Hull than Dowie?

Don't think he is "officially" available yet, Bristol City have a press conference this morning, Hull needed to move quickly because they are running out of games to try and turn it around.
  • Don't forget that 3 year extension to Parkinsons contract we gave him last year, a wise move that was!
  • it was a 1 year extension, his contract ends June 2011
  • I thought it was a year mate.....Johnson would be a great asset, but i dont think we are anywhere near bold enough to take such a drastic step unfortunately
  • I was always impressed with Bristol City when we played them, good footballing side and he'd be just what we need. However i think they'll be clubs in the Championship who have more money to spend than us who'll be interested in him.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Despite a poor season this term, I think he is and could be a top manager, another option if we fail to go up. The board said promotion is a must no excuses so if we fail parky will have to go or another sign of doom.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]it was a 1 year extension, his contract ends June 2011

Still don't understand giving him a new contract if it is true he'll be sacked if we do not gain promotion considering we can't actually afford to pay him off. Johnson would be a good choice if the worst happens and he is still a free agent in the summer.
  • makes me laugh! Everytime a manager gets sacked or leaves a club, people want them!
  • because the one we have,if you havent noticed ,is not very good
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonfan[/cite]because the one we have,if you havent noticed ,is not very good

Yeah - he's only got us to third in the league. Really useless...;-)
  • Thing is...just because Johnson has had few good years at BC doesnt mean hes gonna come here and do a good job. Same with Phil Brown (crap at derby, good at hull), Paul Jewell (good at bradford, crap at Sheff Weds, Good at Wigan, awful at derby), the thing is we are a very hard team to manage at the moment and Parky has made some really bad decisions but i still think hes done well to get us to 3rd/4th in the league with a fighting chance of going up still.
  • [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Thing is...just because Johnson has had few good years at BC doesnt mean hes gonna come here and do a good job. Same with Phil Brown (crap at derby, good at hull), Paul Jewell (good at bradford, crap at Sheff Weds, Good at Wigan, awful at derby), the thing is we are a very hard team to manage at the moment and Parky has made some really bad decisions but i still think hes done well to get us to 3rd/4th in the league with a fighting chance of going up still.
    A lot of young managers are seen like that.

Iain Dowie - good at Oldham, Palace, known as a "promising young manager". Same with Pardew at Reading then West Ham.

Paul Ince, good at Macclesfield and MK Dons, someone we've talked about while he was there. Went to Blackburn, now considered not as good as people thought he was.

Even true for Parkinson, when Curbs left he was someone we considered as he was doing well with Colchester.
  • Exactly scoham, thing is any new manager coming in will have £0 to spend and a lot of pressure to succeed.
  • A good track record of doing a lot with very little money...

Mind you, the offer of managing our club under current conditions would probably be as appetising as a shyte sandwich right now. Having said that, we are (at least for now) still a big fish in a small pond and hopefully that would be enough to attract people to the club. I hope so anyway!
  • Talk of Curbs being the early favourite to take the Bristol City job. I know his name is always trotted out when a vacancy springs up but I reckon it could be more of a possiblity in this instance.

Steve Lansdown (City chairman) is in the Richard Murray 'sensible businessman' category that Curbs likes working for. City are a well supported 'sleeping giant' and with no sign of a Premier League job in the offing, who knows.
  • You never know, if Colchester can land Boothroyd...
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Gary Johnson would be superb at The Valley, done very well at his clubs inc overachieving a little with Bristol City, imho with the sqaud and budget 10th-15th in the Champ is about their level.

Johnson would motivate the players and if he had a sqaud like we have now, we'd be there with Norwich!
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Talk of Curbs being the early favourite to take the Bristol City job. I know his name is always trotted out when a vacancy springs up but I reckon it could be more of a possiblity in this instance.

Steve Lansdown (City chairman) is in the Richard Murray 'sensible businessman' category that Curbs likes working for. City are a well supported 'sleeping giant' and with no sign of a Premier League job in the offing, who knows.
    Wouldn't be surprised by that actually. I don't think he'll get a Premier League job. Could be the right sort of club for him, expectations won't be ridiculous, and he'd have time to build his own side.
  • god i hope he fancies a challenge

gary please come here
  • Out of interest I've just had a look at their results

Not too impressive, including a 6-0 defeat at home to Cardiff.

I wonder if their fans think he's tactically clueless and cannot motivate players (well, not any more).
  • Thier results are not that bad, aside from the 6-0 and 5-2 defeats at home, thier home form is decent and I don't think they have the sqaud to be a serious play off contender. 15th is maybe only a little below where they should be.

Notice they concede a lot of late goals, rather like oursleves last season.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Thier results are not that bad, aside from the 6-0 and 5-2 defeats at home, thier home form is decent and I don't think they have the sqaud to be a serious play off contender. 15th is maybe only a little below where they should be.

Notice they concede a lot of late goals, rather like oursleves last season.
    Four wins since December though.

Had a look on one of their forums, seems they all liked him as a manager. Was just wondering if they have fans that had enough of him after only a few wins in the last few months.
  • Gary Johnson would be great for us, end of!
  • That shyte sandwich could attract him though Bigstemmara, after all he is quite a big bloke. Throw in a dodgy lemonade and some Llanera time share deals, can't go wrong. Maybe Murray could buy SJ's yacht on the cheap from the palarse administrator to seal the deal.
  • Johnson talks to Posh
    Looks like Peterboro are homing in on him. Go get him Muzza, before its too late!!!!!
  • Johnson did exceptionally well at Yeovil as well. Wasn't he the manager of Lithuania or Latvia or Estonia for a bit as well?

[cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Talk of Curbs being the early favourite to take the Bristol City job. I know his name is always trotted out when a vacancy springs up but I reckon it could be more of a possiblity in this instance.

Isn't it ridiculous that Curbs can't get a (half decent) job in the PL.