Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players that have changed your opinion of them this season

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
For the better

Scott Wagstaff for me, until this season I just didn't get what he was all about. Couldn't work out what sort of player he was. Just seemed to have a bit of pace, work fairly hard and get the odd goal. Didn't have the skill of Lloyd Sam, or a decent football brain like other attacking midfielders. This season he's shown just how hard he can work, the energy he offers, always tries to get into dangerous positions and has shown he's one of our better finishers.

I said somewhere on here earlier this season, if he becomes a first team player for us, it'll be more likely be like a John Robinson type of winger. I've seen a few others make that comparison as well. Not the most skillful player, but he'll make up for it through his drive and energy, and he looks like he'll always get the odd goal here and there. Very different to Lloyd Sam who lacks that energy and drive, but makes up for it through the way (when on form) he'll create a good chance for a team mate.

He will surely get a new contract whatever division we're in, and should win Young Player of the Year, unless they want to give it to one of the u18 players.

For the worse

Therry Racon for me. This time last year I enjoyed watching him, wondered why Pardew didn't rate him. The more I think about it, and I've discussed this a lot recently, this time last year his weaknesses were just covered up by a five man midfield which had three harder working players in Bailey, Shelvey and Racon, and on the right Sam, who at the time was gaining confidence and working hard defensively himself.

I've been disappointed with him as I thought/hoped he'd score a decent amount of goals, set up a few and generally be a more technical and clever player than most in this league. Unfortunately it's not worked out that way. The problem for me now is I can't answer the question "what is Racon's job in the team?". If he doesn't score or create goals, nor offer much defensively, all he offers is some tidy passing and occasional dribble or bit of skill. I'm not sure if he's just putting in less effort than last season, but he just seems to disappear and go unnoticed, in a similar way Ambrose did.

The rest

Rest of the squad aren't far off doing what I expected. Last month or so Lloyd Sam has disappointed me, as it wasn't long ago he was our main threat and even if he had a quiet game, he'd create a few decent chances. Bailey has scored goals like we all knew he would, but had hoped he might be able to control the midfield more than he has. Similarly Dailly hasn't looked comfortable recently and no longer looks like he'd do a good job in the Championship as he did at the start of the season.

Am pleased for Burton that he's important for the team, but disappointed in that we haven't found another striker or two that is also an important player for us. Ideally we'd have a goalscorer and he wouldn't have to be considered our best striker! Youga until injured also showed the form he did when he came back from Scunthorpe, completely changing opinions that Basey was better and that he was well below the standard, I guess he'll be mentioned by some in here.

Comments

• Youga for better and thats about it as wasn't a fan before this season

for worse: no comment
  • Doen burton, when we signed him I thought I would never see us sign such an average journeyman striker, and that we had sunk to an alltime low. His hold up play and target man strengths have been pretty good this season and apart from maybe 2 games he's up there in the top 5 of players of the season.

Bailey
    Elliot
    Burton
    Dailly
    Reid (has the potential if played to make a massive difference in the run in)

Not in that order mind.
  • For Better: Youga, Elliot, Burton, Bailey

For Worse: Akpo, Sam, Dickson
  • Broadly in agreement with Scoham. I'd add Basey to the "better" category too as he has certainly become more influential going forward. The cross against Hartlepool (I think it was) being a good example. Progress as a full back will always be limited by the pace issue though. Youga was back to what he was before Pardew destroyed him. Parky deserves credit for that. So not better as such but back to his best.

The improvement or decline in others has been less marked but Racon for me has been the one real disappointment.
  • Burton & Youga have done a lot better than I expected
  • Better: Youga & Burton

Worse: Sam
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Broadly in agreement with Scoham. I'd add Basey to the "better" category too as he has certainly become more influential going forward. The cross against Hartlepool (I think it was) being a good example. Progress as a full back will always be limited by the pace issue though. Youga was back to what he was before Pardew destroyed him. Parky deserves credit for that. So not better as such but back to his best.

The improvement or decline in others has been less marked but Racon for me has been the one real disappointment.
    Fair points about Basey, where do you see his best position in the long term? I'm not sure he'll be good enough as a central or left midfielder and perhaps could look at playing at centre back.

Do agree Pardew destroyed Youga, and that also applies for Wagstaff. Was part of the reason I just wasn't impressed with him, was just thrown in far too early.
  • edited March 2010
    For me, I expected Tuna to be more involved, but he seems to have slipped through the net. Give youth a chance.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Broadly in agreement with Scoham. I'd add Basey to the "better" category too as he has certainly become more influential going forward. The cross against Hartlepool (I think it was) being a good example. Progress as a full back will always be limited by the pace issue though. Youga was back to what he was before Pardew destroyed him. Parky deserves credit for that. So not better as such but back to his best.

Fair points about Basey, where do you see his best position in the long term? I'm not sure he'll be good enough as a central or left midfielder and perhaps could look at playing at centre back.

Do agree Pardew destroyed Youga, and that also applies for Wagstaff. Was part of the reason I just wasn't impressed with him, was just thrown in far too early.

Yes probably centre half would be Grant's best position but I could also see him adding a bit of welcome physical presence as a defensive central midfielder. He has a good range of passing and a shot so potentially could be more effective than Semedo once he got the hang of the position. Semedo isn't a greyhound either I've noticed.
  • For the Better: Deon Burton . He has been scoring goals at an older age and hes playing with a nagging groin injury. He is our best player at holding the ball up and he plays with a sense of composure about him that most other players do not carry. Without Burton we would be struggling for goals all season long. Even though he isnt screaming them in lately, he has been a consistent striker all season long.

For the Worse: Dailly. Hopes for me were really high when we signed him from Celtic. He actually started the season strong, but i think he has gotten worse every week. I dont mean to be harsh on the guy, but he is in terrible form. He could use a rest (season off of football). He lacks pace and power. What he offers in experience for our back four is not helping Charlton keep goals out of the net. Dailly has really dissapointmed me lately.
  • Sponsored links:

• For The Better: Youga obviously, Wagstaff has come on a lot and although not ready to start every week, well worth a new contract, Burton was excellent for first half of season, not so much now.

For The Worse: Sam Sodje, Lloyd Sam, Racon, McKenzie, Llera
  • Racon (according to Pardew addmitedly) was signed as a Championship/Premiership player, massive, massive dissapointment, dont think he has played well since Tranmere away.

I couldnt stand Youga last season but thought he looked a lot better at the start of the season.

I still think we only have a handful of players that can cut it at Championship level - Youga, Sam, Bailey, Jonjo, and only one at premiership level if we are lucky enough to keep him (Mooney)
  • what southend said about youga and burton's definitely done better than i thought .....

a few have stayed at what i thought

some of the dross have proved they are proper dross

and some dross slightly improved ....

very disappointed jonjo hasn't had a chance to show what he can/can't do, if i was him i'd be on my way in the summer, there's a lot better clubs bench's to warm than ours

i deffo see the game differently to most (as i'm sure we all do)
  • [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]For me, I expected Tuna to be more involved, but he seems to have slipped through the net. Give youth a chance.
    You sound like the OS there!
  • Wouldn't say my opinion of them has changed but rather who I have been pleased/disappointed/indifferent about this season is:

Pleased: Elliot, Youga, Bailey, Semedo, Burton, Wagstaff, Sam Sodje, Kyel Reid, Dailly

Disappointed: Richardson, Llera, Shelvey, Racon, Sam, Solly, Mooney, Akpo Sodje

Indifferent: McKenzie, Basey, Spring, Randolph
  • Better: Elliot, Youga, Basey, Burton, Wagstaff
    Worse: Racon, Semedo & (more recently) Bailey

I was tempted to add Shelvey to the 'worse' list but then realised he hasn't really played a decent run of games since the beginning of the season where we got 6 wins and 2 draws.

Suprising actually that all the players I'd consider to have dropped their level are from midfield.
  • Not seen enough live games but I've been surprised to discover Burton's intelligence and vision. Not to mention excellent penalty taking, something we havent always seen.

And I believe you are right about Wagstaff.

Disappointed with Sam Sodje. never thought he would be regularly benched, but then i never realised quite how reckless he is.

Anyone who can put a 17 year old kid with more talent than any other player in the division, in the 'worse' list, needs to be sent to the Millwall forum to debate football strategy with Stuwall. And yes I know that JonJo has turned 18.
  • My temptation was probably more down to my very high expectations rather than Shelvey playing that badly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]only one at premiership level if we are lucky enough to keep him (Mooney)

Wind-Up?
  • Better

Youga
    Burton
    Wagstaff

Worse
    Lloyd Sam by an absolute country mile

Jonjo hasn't been as good as I hoped( maybe because he hasn't played enough)

Mooney has been awful
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham says it all really.
    Managers live or die by their signings, especially strikers. Burton is a good player at this level but none of our other strikers have done it for me. All have been disappointing: Dicko, Mcleod, Mooney, Akpo. The tall Millwall loanee was so much better than our front two it had me thinking how come Jackett signs a potential jewel and we get a load of dross?
  • [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Scoham says it all really.
    Managers live or die by their signings, especially strikers. Burton is a good player at this level but none of our other strikers have done it for me. All have been disappointing: Dicko, Mcleod, Mooney, Akpo. The tall Millwall loanee was so much better than our front two it had me thinking how come Jackett signs a potential jewel and we get a load of dross?
    I didn't bother mentioning McLeod and Dickson as after the previous two seasons I never expected much from them. McLeod still disappointing considering how much he cost though.
  • Racon is the biggest disappointment for me. In my book, Dickson and McLeod had nothing going for them but, based on what he did at Championship level, Racon should be outstanding in this league.

Confidence may have a bit to do with it, but I come back to a point made earlier in the season and on another thread .. are our much-praised midfielders really clear on their individual roles and what Parkinson expects from them?

I really don't see it. And, if they are, please explain to me why Nicky Bailey continues to play 'Hollywood' balls out to the corner flags, with a success rate of about 10%. He should play it short much more often. Racon should run at players with the ball, and Semedo should protect the back four and give it simple to those who are a bit more creative.

That way, whether we play two or three in central midfield, we avoid the situation of players duplicating one another. At the moment we often end up with several players combining to provide effectively one player's worth to the team.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Anyone who can put a 17 year old kid with more talent than any other player in the division, in the 'worse' list, needs to be sent to the Millwall forum to debate football strategy with Stuwall. And yes I know that JonJo has turned 18.

But the question isn't 'who have been the best and worst players' but 'who have done better or worse than you expected of them'. Shelvey seems to have generally played well this season but after some of his performances last season, many had pegged him to be one of the main men at this level, and that hasn't exactly materialised. Regardless of whether those expectations were ridiculous, those who hoped Shelvey would dominate this league have found out he is not (yet) as good as they thought he was. Perhaps just a reality check that talent (even talent as great as Jonjo's) isn't fufilled instantly.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Burton & Youga have done a lot better than I expected
    I'd agree with these two, I'd never thought that I'd be looking forward to youga returning to the side!
    Disappointed - I'm easily disappointed and therefore, will have to say all of the other forwards. There is not one I consider to be 'dangerous' to the opposition. However, we've not seen much of McKenzie, so I'm still waiting for him to actually be fit to play 90 minutes and show us that he supposedly should be playing 'above this level'.
    Jury's out - Racon. has he become the most overhyped charlton player since Dickson?.......
  • Better:- Youga
    Worse:- All our strikers (except Deon), Llera, Sam
    Every one else is much as I thought, sadly I had thought most weren't that good!
  • I thought Mooney was alright when he first came to us, I have come to the conclusion that he is, in fact, total dog dirt.
  • Better: Burton, Wagstaff
    Worse: Akpo Sodje, Sam Sodje, Lloyd Sam

Others have been a disappointment like Llera and Richardson, but I wasn't too aware of their work previous to this season.

Don't agree on all the Racon knocking.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Don't agree on all the Racon knocking.
    It's not so much that he's been bad or anything, but I was expecting a bit more from him. He just doesn't seem to have a clear role as he doesn't score or create much, and he's not a defensive player either. He's done ok but I like others were hoping he'd have a brilliant season. He's just been ok.
  • Am a big Racon fan but have to agree with Scoham's write-up.

Perhaps only a return to 4-5-1 would see him back to the form from the start of the season