Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diabetes - anyone on here got it?

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
I was yesterday told I have type 2 diabetes and am currently having to review my diet etc

anyone on here got any recommendations on foods and drinks that I can still enjoy?
Seems everything I liked (sweet stuff) is off limits now so wondered if there are any specific recommendations whilst I am learning about my condition

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    sorry to hear mate, my grandad has it. luckily in M&S and other places they still do alternatives eg. Chocolate for Diabetics, think i could do with it to curb all the junk i eat(no offense please anyone just light hearted joke)
  • Options
    Swisdon, I have type 2 diabetes.
    Take a look at Diabetes uk website for info.
    The best thing you can do is loose some wieght and take more excercise,but I should think you have been told that by your GP.
    The worst part of it for me is the bloody blood tests.
  • Options
    I've had type 1 for 25 years. I probably eat too many curries and am carrying a bit too much weight but luckily never had a problem with it. Still able to have a drink but just have to make sure my levels are ok and check regularly.

Never had much of a sweet tooth so not eating chocolate etc was never much of a problem.

Exercise helps a lot (god knows what size I'd be if I gave up swimming & football!!)

The injections are not a problem, just feel a bit of a prick, boom boom!
  • Options
    I started to exhibit some of the symptoms of type 2 so i went for a few blood tests but they came out ok. Im overweight and need to get back down the gym again(cricket season starts soon so i'd better do something).

And i'd better take a close look at my diet as well.
  • Options
    Swisdom - send me your email address and I'll overload you with info. Have had type 2 for nearly 5 years now but have it well under control. Sadly, the advice you get from the GP isn't great... And I can see that already by your comment about cutting out sweet things completely!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]The worst part of it for me is the bloody blood tests.

I dont have diabetes but I'm there with you on the blood tests. I'd rather break my legs and arms than have a blood test. As soon as I get in the room and tell you to roll your sleeve up, I absolutely freeze and so does my blood. Turns to concrete and they cant get anything out. Then I pass out completely. The hospital advises me to go to my GP and request councelling, I do that and the GP tells me to get a grip. Well thanks for nothing!

Good luck Swisdom. You may get some inspiration from Gary Mabbutt and Sir Steve Redgrave, probably the two most high profile figures with the condition. As Johnny says above, M&S do some very good alternatives for diabetics.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]The worst part of it for me is the bloody blood tests.

I dont have diabetes but I'm there with you on the blood tests. I'd rather break my legs and arms than have a blood test. As soon as I get in the room and tell you to roll your sleeve up, I absolutely freeze and so does my blood. Turns to concrete and they cant get anything out. Then I pass out completely. The hospital advises me to go to my GP and request councelling, I do that and the GP tells me to get a grip. Well thanks for nothing!

Good luck Swisdom. You may get some inspiration from Gary Mabbutt and Sir Steve Redgrave, probably the two most high profile figures with the condition. As Johnny says above, M&S do some very good alternatives for diabetics.

With you all the way on blood tests. Inject myself every day but when i go for a blood test I go to pieces. Had one last week, had to wait over an hour in the waiting room working myself up, and then nearly passed out when I had it done! Stupid thing is, I know it doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys and girls! I quit smoking 7 years ago, rarely drink alcohol and was told my cholesterol was excellent (not sure how). My main vice is Coke snd energy drinks. Part of my condition left me constantly knackered and too tired for exercise which just meant I spiralled downwards. Very annoyed at myself but my wife is really supportive and my daughter keeps me active too

My nurse is a proper diabetic nurse and was great, really friendly and put my
    mind at ease.
    Medders - my email is [lordwisdom] @gmail.com, any advice much appreciated

once again thanks everyone
  • Options
    Hi Swisdom,

I have been Type 2 diabetic for the past 7 years.

At first it can be a bit of a shock. But there are very good alternatives out there, you just need to know where to look. Has your Dr prescribed medication or injections?

I have kept my blood sugar levels under control with the help of medication, excercise and a revised diet. What has done me the world of good is cutting down on my intake of carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread, etc).

Feel free to whisper me if you have any specific questions and for my mail address.

Stuart
  • Options
    Been in denial with diabetes for the past 2 years! and just try and modify my diet, but I am feeling increasingly tired, and a little 'trippy' at times.
    I know this can be a serious condition and my mother suffered from it, but feel it is a bit like wearing glasses you never stop once you start.

Ironic really as I get my blood tests tommorow, and probably my come uppance.

Of course this is complete cowardice, and I ought to grip up, just seems that I have modified my drinking and eating ....... I guess I am trying to avoid the inevitable.......
    death that is........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have type 1 diabetes. Had it since 2001. I would steer clear of the diabetic chocolates etc as they are often high in fat and salt to substitute.

A good rule is if it contains over 5gr of sugar then don't eat it

Good luck !
  • Options
    I love eating fruit so now desperately need to find out which ones I should avoid
  • Options
    Terry's chocolate orange is off the menue.
  • Options
    'Terry's chocolate orange is off the menue.'....
    would there 'rasberry ruffle' be ok though!.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Thanks for the advice guys and girls! I quit smoking 7 years ago, rarely drink alcohol and was told my cholesterol was excellent (not sure how). My main vice is Coke snd energy drinks. Part of my condition left me constantly knackered and too tired for exercise which just meant I spiralled downwards. Very annoyed at myself but my wife is really supportive and my daughter keeps me active too

My nurse is a proper diabetic nurse and was great, really friendly and put my
    mind at ease.
    Medders - my email is lordwisdom@gmail.com, any advice much appreciated

once again thanks everyone

I think you might well want to take it easy on the coke and energy drinks from now on!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The coke's not going to help anyway - makes your nose run !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I love eating fruit so now desperately need to find out which ones I should avoid

Avoid fruits which give you a quick sugar rush: Oranges, bananas, grapes.

The tip from RobRoy is also very valid.

Look out for things that are sold as being 'diet-friendly'. ie diet chocolate. They are not necessarily diabetic friendly.

Also watch out for low-alcohol/non-alcoholic beer they have a lot of sugar. Better to have 1 normal beer than 2 or 3 of those.
  • Options
    So long as it is Brown bread, brown rice, and water you are alright then!........
  • Options
    Ken, I got my results today and I was quite worried.
    This is the first test since taking the medication.
    I have gym membership and I couldn't stand getting up early to go during the winter months.
    I gave up five a side at goals, so was waiting for some bad news and a kicking from the nurse!
    Pleasantly surprised to find out my blood count has gone down from over 10 to 8 (still not good enough, but in the right direction 6)
    Cholesterole down to 3 from over 5, but the count in this catergory that matters was 7 down to 3.5 (idealy 1.7).

I do like beer and grub and often lapse on my diet.
    I have lost some weight which really has helped but need to get some excersize in, to lower the above scores.

I AM A FOOD JUNKY, MAN!
  • Options
    Positive post Mort-Genius
    Well the doctors must have been busy today as I got mine as well.......
    Quite good to be honest, I will not go into details but the idea is that I am going to try and control this with exercise and diet.

Bit difficult being 58 and i never did like jogging, so even more dog walks , swimming, and some circuit training.

I guess in the spring/ I will be with my lads kicking a ball around, or trying to. I think that giving up the football coaching 5 years ago has kicked in, and having had things like a slipped disc did not help, but in all honesty these are excuses,

I am overweight, and like curry and beer, so going to have to do this, it will not be easy, but I will have the time when I give up work in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I should try and aim and do the Marathon in a couple of years, well running around the park anyway.
    Gonna have to address this issue.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have type 2 and have it well under control. The doctors scare the life of you with all the do's and dont's at first but believe me there is a lot of good to come out of it. I am now healthier and fitter at the age of 44 than i have ever been and i still have a beer or three at weekends ;o) Feel free to whisper me for any advice and i'll send you my e mail address.