Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Port Vales Marc Richards

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Got round to watching the Football League Show this morning and one player that caught the eye was Port Vales Marc Richards. His scored a quality hatrick in Vales 5-0 win at Chesterfield. Do you think a League 2 player could step up a level and be a success. It wasnt just a hatrick, his first and second goals were pure class and the 3rd a thumping header, definately a player who looks like he has insticts rather than some of our strikers that look extinct. A player like this would probably cost very little at this stage, preferably we could send them maybe a few of ours in exchange

Comments

• Quick look on wikipedia, he is or was out of contract in the summer, but they were planning to offer him a new deal. Can't find out if he's signed one or not though. If we stay down we'll be looking for free transfers.
  • Even League 2 players are out of our price range. Cheap loanees is the best we can hope for.
  • edited March 2010
    anyone who didnt see his goals, heres a link. the port vale game is 2nd and starts at 20 secs. vid

sorry just realised it only shows his first
  • If he's a free in the summer then these are the players we are going to need to look at if we stay down. (few if's there). Cannot be any worse than 'Bill & Ben' upfront on saturday, surely.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]If we stay down we'll be looking for free transfers.
    I think if we go up we'll be looking at free transfers.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Cannot be any worse than 'Bill & Ben' upfront on saturday, surely.
    That's what thought about the likes of Marcus Bent and Kevin Lisbie a few years ago (purely on ability, not talking about Bent's attitude).
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]If we stay down we'll be looking for free transfers.
    I think if we go up we'll be looking at free transfers.
    Good point, but hopefully better free transfers than decent but not outstanding League Two strikers
  • His scoring record is not that good for someone in league 2, his goals on Sat were good but cannot see him making the step up and scoring regularly. We need a 20 goal a season striker.

Someone like Le Fondre, Dagnall would be more suited imho, obviously on frees!
  • what about the likes of mikael smith and mclean at peterboro when they get relegated or strikers from any other potentially relegated Championship teams such as Watford, Plymouth, Ipswich or Palace
    Our problem is I dont think our midfielders actually create a great deal for the strikers, maybe we need to also be looking at that
  • Depends on their contracts and if we can afford their wages.

Makail Smith would be great but reckon he'll get a champ move.

Gary Hooper at Scunny got 30 for league 1 Scunny last season, less prolific in the Champ but if he is out of contract/Scunny are relegated he may fancy a move back south. Paul Hayes likewise there is decent at Champ level so if we stay down could be a good shout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember that Izale McLeod looked good at 4th tier level!!
  • Peterborough turned down an offer of £5m from Wolves for McLean last year didn't they? Or at least had that as an asking price. No chance of getting him.

Do others think we'll still have Deon next season? No idea what length contract he's on. Would be happy for him to stay, regardless of what division we're in.
  • Pretty sure Deons contract is up, would love him to stay if we stay down.

If we go up, he is not going to get goals but his experience and link up play is well worth him staying. Regardless he needs someone alongside him who is likely to get near or above 20
  • I like the look of Rotherham United's Adam Le Fondre. Always seems to be popping em in for the millers.
  • ALF as he is known would work very well imho alongside Burton. not the tallest but scores a lot of goals inc predatory 6 yard box type goals.
  • i hear that neil harris is a quality striker playing well in a decent team. anyone think he would be a good addition to the squad? (hides behind the sofa)
  • I rate Dagnall after seeing him earlier this year against Barnet, but as he will most probably be playing in the same division as us next year I think its rather academic!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]I rate Dagnall after seeing him earlier this year against Barnet, but as he will most probably be playing in the same division as us next year I think its rather academic![/quote]

Depends if he is contracted there, if not maybe he would fancy a change and Charlton do imho still have more appeal than most league 1 clubs.