Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you could choose any seat at the Valley, where would you sit?

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I'm in the midst of trying to arrange tickets for a group on a trip over and given that I've only been to the Valley a few times, was wondering where would be the best spot to watch from, if I could choose.

I'm sure everyone has their favourites, but I'd appreciate hearing people's views of the pros and cons of various places within the ground.

Comments

• What's your priority, atmosphere or view?
  • Personally I like it in the East, you get a good view of the action from the side of the pitch. Downside lack of atmosphere.

However for atmosphere, there is probably no beating the North Upper. Downside is possibly the language at times.
  • Dug-out

Well paid job for life apparently
  • edited March 2010
    These are exactly the sorts of useful responses I was hoping for...(well, until I just read Falconwood's!)

I'm bringing, amongst others, my wife. A bit of atmosphere would be fine, but I'm sure she's expecting the worst, so ultimately I'd like a pleasant day out, with a good view, ideally of a good result.

I'd like her to come away thinking fondly of the Valley too!

Thanks all!
  • As a compromise maybe try to get seats in the East or West but nearer to the North, so Blocks G ish of the East. Here you get the good view, a fair atmosphere without being too offensive.
  • Sorry, still got the right hump.
  • north west quad , reasonable atmosphere and a very good view
  • North West Quadrant, Good view and next to the atmosphere!
  • edited March 2010
    I spent a season in the Northwest an I can recommend it, my only suggestion would be that you get seats near the back for the atmosphere. The downsides to the Northwest are that the view isn't as good as in other parts of the ground especially when the play is at the other end and that access to half time refreshments are even worse than in other parts of the ground.

West upper = Good view but dreadful atmosphere
    West Lower = Preferable to the upper as you'll be closer to the action
    East = Watched the Swindon game there, the first time I sat there for about 10 years and really enjoyed it.
    North upper is my preferred spot these days.
  • the jimmy seed stand.
    always making the most noise and will be surrounded by happy people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Too true...
  • And if you can afford a bit more consider one of Charltons Suites/lounge/meal deals. They are really good value and can include tickets etc. Have used them and the food etc is great.
  • Yes, the West Upper has had an atmosphere by-pass but if you get the right seats in the front row you can have a chat with legend Carl Leaburn (he does reports for a local station) and see all the latest scores come up on his monitor. Also, if it's sunny, you can watch the sun slowly creep up the East stand blinding the crowd row by row. Likewise if it's raining, see how many rows are getting wet, although this isn't exclusive to the East, but they do seem to bear the brunt of the weather!
  • Now that is the kind of practical (albeit tongue in cheek!) advice that I'm looking for!
  • Parky's one ...I'd get them fecking playing properly
  • I sit in the East & have done for about 6 seasons . Prior to that I was in the North, Lower at first then when the upper was built I moved up there.
    I've also seen a few games from both the Lower and upper of the West.
    If you want a 'real' Charlton experience and are only going to be there once rather than going for an extended period, I'd go for the upper North- if you are ok with a bit of ripe language.
    As a compromise, the back of the NW quadrant might be a good choice.

If the team play anything like they did at the Den, you might be better off finding a seat facing away from the pitch.
    ;-)
  • In the chairman seat when I win the quadrupal euro miliions roll over, 500 mil. Sack parky curbs back with money to spend like he never did, premiership in 3 years, rebuild the south stand another tier on the east to match the west, aways in the south west corner leaving us to have both ends.... dreams can come true.... you know you got to have them.... as the pirate lady once sang..

Was an east season ticket holder for 5 years right on the halfway line, row s so a few up brilliant view little atmos, have been in northwest of late and love it up there.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]In the chairman seat when I win the quadrupal euro miliions roll over, 500 mil. Sack parky curbs back with money to spend like he never did, premiership in 3 years, rebuild the south stand another tier on the east to match the west, aways in the south west corner leaving us to have both ends.... dreams can come true.... you know you got to have them.... as the pirate lady once sang..

Was an east season ticket holder for 5 years right on the halfway line, row s so a few up brilliant view little atmos, have been in northwest of late and love it up there.

Can i be manager
  • You've all (well, mostly!) been a lot of help. Much appreciated, and I really hope to have a chance to put faces to so many usernames when I'm over...
  • I promise not to bump this more than this once...
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi Can,

When are you thinking of coming over, is it this season and if so what game/ games are you trying to catch
  • Leeds. Quite excited...
  • Nice one, the reason I asked is because I have 4 x season tickets in the East Stand, I use one on a regular basis for myself and the other three I use to entertain clients etc, we have a meal and a few beers in Legends before the game.

I am banged out for the Leeds game but had it been for a less popular match I might have been able to help you out.

No worries, have a good trip and enjoy the day.
  • That's very kind. I can't say I'm surprised about the Leeds tickets being used. I'm quite hopeful that this one will mean a lot, and should have as good an atmosphere as we can muster!
  • How are you planning to get Leeds tickets? From what I've read I don't think you'll be able to order them online or buy them on the day.
  • I've got local family (well, other side of London) who can help out.
  • Depending on the age, but personally if I was bringing kids I would go North east quad for a flavour of the atmosphere. Maybe north upper H block a little bit much to start with.
  • As an expat in Oz I wish you a brilliant day Can-addick, I wish i could get back for a game! Enjoy!
  • Re-inforce what others say. When with my brother we go NU for atmosphere but when with Cat jnr, sit near front of WU K (level with 18yd line) to get some of the atmosphere, join in the singing but protect his ears from the worst of the language....