Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A day for funerals

I went to wing commander Bob Doe's funeral today at All Saints Church Crowborough....Battle of Britain Spitfire ace.Very moving indeed, the last post was superbly played by an RAF bandsman, his sons (Rob Doe) eulogy was tear in eye time.Seen Bob interviewed many a time on programmes about the Battle of Britain......fortunately it was quiet at work today so I just felt I should go and pay my respects to 'one of the few'.
I phoned my sister in Lincoln to tell her this evening how my day had gone and low and behold she, and her husband Colin, had been to Lincoln Cathedral to Keith Alexanders funeral...Colin is a Lincoln City supporter of many years standing.
What a day and what a coincidence.
Two lovely men from very different back grounds............. gone on to better things one hopes.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for posting this Soundas, I have been an admirer of Bob for many years, I have a fantastic first day cover that Bob autographed. To hear him talk about the Battle of Britain was a humbling and moving experience, may he rest in peace.
  • Options
    Well done for going Soundas. Bob Doe was one of those typical quiet Englishmen who just did his job, did it very well and wouldn't hear of being called a hero, even though that was exactly what he was.

I had the honour of meeting Major John Howard (of Pegasus Bridge fame) some years ago and he was cut from the same cloth as Bob Doe.

We owe them and their generation a huge debt of gratitude.
  • Options
    SoundAs....
    Dad would have loved to have been with you Yesterday.
    RIP.