Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Fri 14th Jan 1977 Charlton 2 Nottingham Forest 1

2»

Comments

• Strange, I never knew Brynn Gunn started at Forest.

I can only assume you're confusing him with Bryan Gunn, the Norwich Goalie. Different bloke.
  • 11 at the time, never (or rarely) missed a home game in those days and was at that one stood on the East Terrace near the front towards the South Terrace.

• Strange, I never knew Brynn Gunn started at Forest.

I can only assume you're confusing him with Bryan Gunn, the Norwich Goalie. Different bloke.
    Really? Both keepers?
  • on that wiki page says bryn cunn MF (midfielder) came on for forest in the 1980 final and sub goalie was Montgomery
  • edited January 2013

Strange, I never knew Brynn Gunn started at Forest.

Really? Both keepers?
    Bryn Gunn was not a Keeper.Forest's Keeper in the above game was John Middleton and he was supplanted by Peter Shilton the following season.I notice that Jim Montgomery the legendary former Sunderland player was the Substitute Goalie in the European Cup Final in 1980.

Bryn Gunn was a Defender who went on to play for Chesterfield and Peterborough this is his wiki entry.

Bryn Gunn (born August 21, 1958 in Kettering) is a former footballer who played as a full-back for a number of clubs between 1975 and 1996. He is best remembered for his time with Nottingham Forest, where he won the European Cup in 1980, coming on as a substitute in the final. His daughter, Jenny, plays cricket for England, and was part of the Ashes winning team of 2005.
  • edited January 2015
    Look at that home record: Charltons home record was Played 21 Won 14 drew 5 lost 2 For 52 Against 27.
  • As others have said, absolutely loved the Friday night games. There was trouble that night and I remember some shops up in The Village had their windows smashed and various other things happened. We were a tough nut to crack at home back then but couldn't win away. Another Friday night game I loved was the 2.1 win over promotion chasing West Bromwich Albion who also brought a good support down. Killer scored a cracker that night against them.
  • What a night that was. Clough was full of praise fo r CAFC's defensive display. Hardened Addicks fans were seen to be pinching themselves and each other for the same reason. I was so impressed by John Robertson I made the unlovely trek to Upton Park the following season just to see him play. 0-0 draw. Never mind, at least I got home alive.