Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I think of my self as an optimist

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I have even got my 5 year season ticket sorted. I also get mightily annoyed at a lot of the vitriol on here, especially the stuff directed at the board.

Yet I am starting to think that whatever infected this club over the last three years is still here, we are third and that is above the expectations I had in the summer but performances have been poor. How many games have qwe dominated for the full ninety, even Stockport who looked terrible for half an hour could in all honesty got something from the game. No team can continue to play bad and win, we do not just need wins we need to start to play as well!

Comments

• we havnt dominated one game this season.
  • I don't know what has happened to this club, the club we love but whatever it is it's getting worse. Even the games we have won have rarely left us feeling that we have been much better than the opposition, a classic example being the 5-1 win over MK Dons. Saturday was always going to happen, shame it was against those bastards but someone was going to do it soon. How will our players react, probably lose at home to Gillingham!

We are in decline, falling further down the leagues, playing awful gutless football, too many players who obviously don't care about the club or it would seem have any pride in their own performance.

I don't know how we can stop this decline but my feeling is that it has to start at the top. I'm not calling out to "sack the board" or anything like that but changes have to be made. New investment is badly needed but who would invest in a business that is in the state we are in? Something is very wrong when you see men like Peter Varney leaving.

I would sack the manager immediately, it is clear that he is not the right man to lead us back. A new manager often has the instant effect of getting a few results, that might be enough to kickstart our season. We have some talented players, they just need the motivation.
  • To be fair I doubt many teams feel like they control games for 90 minutes every time they win.

But, we haven't played well very often, we're not convincing. I don't think this is just down to a lack of motivation from Parky. Some of the players we have just aren't the right type of players. Up front Burton is our only bit of real quality in this league, the rest are very average and none of them are goalscorers. Dickson might score a few if he got a chance, but the rest of his game makes him as poor as the rest of them.

Midfield Racon we hoped would be a good player in this league, it's just not happened. Sam's got a decent amount of assists and goals, but he's not performed for a while now. Some managers would get a bit more out of players like Sam and Racon, but I'm not convinced they really have it in them to be as good as we think they should consistently. Hard to blame Parky with the striker situation as it's surely the hardest position to fill, anyone good enough is already playing regularly. Anyone not playing that might be good is a gamble.

The worry for me is we end up getting a manager in that makes things even worse, but perhaps thats the risk we'd have to take. People say Parky is clueless now, but if we replaced him with the wrong manager, we could end up really seeing what a clueless manager is like. He's still got us to third in the league with 10 games to go, something we'd have all taken in the summer. I really don't think there will be many proven managers out there at all that would actually want the job. It would be someone we'd have to take a big gamble on and hope they can get it right quite quickly. In the summer if we don't go up they could be buying near enough a new team, with an even smaller wage budget.
  • I tihnk the probem with Parky is that he doesn't see what 15k other people see every week.

They see Mooney playing and doing absolutley nothing, if he is meant to be creative why aren't we giving Jonjo a chance?

When they see on Saturday when we play both Sam and Reid we decide to swap them over to the opposite wings meaning they play on their weaker foot making them ineffective.

That we don't put anyone on the back post at corners. That we constantly play long ball despite it not suiting our players at all.

Parky has been here since the Jan 07, he was part of the management which got relegated from the Prem, a mid table CCC team which then went onto relegation. Unless he can somehow give these players a kick up the arse and start performing we might even fall out the play offs
  • I really don't understand what's going on with Jonjo, I do agree if Mooney is going to drop deep and link the play you might as well have Jonjo doing it.

Agree about Sam and Reid swapping wings, doesn't either of them at all.

Corner thing I've noticed before, don't understand that either.

As for long balls, I wouldn't say we do it constantly. We seem to have a game or two in which we pass it around, and because of that, get a decent result and a decent(ish) performance. When we start playing long balls early on in the game, if we don't settle down and/or go 1-0 down, we keep doing it and end up playing badly and at best scrapping a result. Not as bad as it was with Pardew, but we have to get the ball on the floor, it's the only way we have a chance.
  • i agree totally, Jonjo should comeback into the side, hopefully leaving him out has been part of a masterplan by Parky to save him for the last 10 games but I dont think so. Some people on this site have been calling for McKenzie to start a game but everytime he comes on he looks hopless to me. Worse even than Mooney.
    If there was a man on the backpost on saturday we wouldn`t have conceded the first goal, weve conceded other similar goals this season because of that aswell.
    We should make the play-offs but if we lost to both Huddersfield and the MK Dons in the next few weeks we would be under a bit of pressure.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I really don't understand what's going on with Jonjo ...

Don't want him injured before end of season so he can be sold ...

or

Keeping him out of the shop window so we can keep him next season when a number of other players will definitely leave if we go down.

No. 2 for me. Unless Parky just doesn't believe he should be playing at the moment ... which makes him even more clueless.
  • Saving his young legs from horrible winter pitches?