Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For everyone feeling down this Monday morning!

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Yes we got battered on saturday but lets look at the positives.... for a long time now we havent been playing well enough and to be honest i think we were due a battering it just happened to occur against the spanners!I would love to think that this will be the final kick up the arse our players need to step it up and push for at least a guaranteed play off spot, if not automatics!And before i get accused, no im not one of the 'were still 3rd' crew.But at the end of the day were not the only ones throwing it away, leeds are also....we all got tough run ins, but lets just see how we pick ourselves up from THIS defeat! I actually thought we looked good first half and it could have been a completely different game had we not let in the 44th minute goal!Keep the faith guys, it maybe hard at the minute, but its why were charlton after all, nothings ever easy for us!
Come on you reds!

Comments

• edited March 2010
  • I've come down with some kind of bug so I've had to take the day off work. I'm drinking plenty of fluids and keeping warm today.

As for the football, Millwall were always going to beat us on Saturday, I console myself that we were doing this to ourselves on a weekly basis last season.
  • edited March 2010
    If we don't go up there's a bloody good chance we could be playing palace in the league next term, more local derbys! I'm sure this is a good thing.

Brentford
    Palace (hopefully)
    Millwall
    Leyton Orient
    Gillingham
    Watford (possibly)
    Brighton
    Aldershot (possibly)
    Dagenham (possibly)

Bring it on.....
  • Do you not that the home defeats by both Orient and Brighton should have been enough to kick us up the backside

Find it difficult to understand how fans can defend the management for the teams performances over the last few months

The facts is that they have little if any motivational skills,tactically inept,and sadly has lost the respect of both the dressing room and the supporters

From the first game of the season when we played Wycombe in which we were holding on for dear life I have never felt he was the man to take us up.

With all due respect to the teams in this league and without sounding arrogant we should have been seeing performances and results as the supporters of Norwich have done this season

We have been fortunate in recent weeks regarding the results against Stockport Yeovil plus many more to mention have we actually come away from a game saying we were unlucky or we should have deserved that

I now fear for the club both short and long term as I feel that if we are fortunate enough to make the play offs the current set up has proven that they are tactically nieve to get us up via the system and therefore leaving the summer open for what talent that does remain within the squad to leave and let's face it who would blame them
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]With all due respect to the teams in this league and without sounding arrogant we should have been seeing performances and results as the supporters of Norwich have done this season
    I don't agree with that completely. Norwich could spend £400k on a good striker in Grant Holt. We had to take risks on frees on loans on players like McKenzie (who to be fair hasn't had a chance yet), Akpo and Mooney. A good striker can make a lot of difference. With Chris Martin they also had a second decent striker, who's scored a similar amount to Burton. Burton alongside a proper goalscorer could have made a huge difference this season.

Looking at their stats, we have Bailey as a goalscoring midfielder like they have Hoolahan. We have Burton like they have Martin, the good second striker who'll score but probably isn't a 20+ a season player. They have Holt, the 20+ a season player, we have no one. That could turn some of those many draws into wins. We're 12 points off, just the sort of difference a goalscorer could have made.

With the squad we have we're third in the league where we should be with our team, but yes it's not convincing at all and we only look like we'll fall down the table, hopefully holding onto a play-off place. I know what you mean but I can't agree with our squad we're as good as Norwich, mainly because we're missing the one type of player they do have.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]With all due respect to the teams in this league and without sounding arrogant we should have been seeing performances and results as the supporters of Norwich have done this season
    I don't agree with that completely. Norwich could spend £400k on a good striker in Grant Holt. We had to take risks on frees on loans on players like McKenzie (who to be fair hasn't had a chance yet), Akpo and Mooney. A good striker can make a lot of difference. With Chris Martin they also had a second decent striker, who's scored a similar amount to Burton. Burton alongside a proper goalscorer could have made a huge difference this season.

Looking at their stats, we have Bailey as a goalscoring midfielder like they have Hoolahan. We have Burton like they have Martin, the good second striker who'll score but probably isn't a 20+ a season player. They have Holt, the 20+ a season player, we have no one. That could turn some of those many draws into wins. We're 12 points off, just the sort of difference a goalscorer could have made.

With the squad we have we're third in the league where we should be with our team, but yes it's not convincing at all and we only look like we'll fall down the table, hopefully holding onto a play-off place. I know what you mean but I can't agree with our squad we're as good as Norwich, mainly because we're missing the one type of player they do have.

I believe that if Holt was playing for us this season he would not have scored any where near the same amount of goals. If Rooney was playing for us this season I am not too sure it would have made much difference!

No matter how good your strikers are 80 to 90% of any teams goals are going to be the result of passes and crosses into the opposition's penalty area. The better your strikers the higher percentage of those passes and crosses will be converted into goals. If you only manage 5 or 6 passes and crosses per match into the opposition penalty you are going to score less goals than a team who regularly manage 15 to 20 passes and crosses into the opposition penalty area even if you have the better strikers.
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Do you not that the home defeats by both Orient and Brighton should have been enough to kick us up the backside

Find it difficult to understand how fans can defend the management for the teams performances over the last few months

The facts is that they have little if any motivational skills,tactically inept,and sadly has lost the respect of both the dressing room and the supporters

From the first game of the season when we played Wycombe in which we were holding on for dear life I have never felt he was the man to take us up.

With all due respect to the teams in this league and without sounding arrogant we should have been seeing performances and results as the supporters of Norwich have done this season

We have been fortunate in recent weeks regarding the results against Stockport Yeovil plus many more to mention have we actually come away from a game saying we were unlucky or we should have deserved that

I now fear for the club both short and long term as I feel that if we are fortunate enough to make the play offs the current set up has proven that they are tactically nieve to get us up via the system and therefore leaving the summer open for what talent that does remain within the squad to leave and let's face it who would blame them

Totally agree with this post. Also agree with Red_in_SE8.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I believe that if Holt was playing for us this season he would not have scored any where near the same amount of goals. If Rooney was playing for us this season I am not too sure it would have made much difference!

No matter how good your strikers are 80 to 90% of any teams goals are going to be the result of passes and crosses into the opposition's penalty area. The better your strikers the higher percentage of those passes and crosses will be converted into goals. If you only manage 5 or 6 passes and crosses per match into the opposition penalty you are going to score less goals than a team who regularly manage 15 to 20 passes and crosses into the opposition penalty area even if you have the better strikers.
    Fair points but at the same time, can you imagine Mooney or Sodje scoring regularly with good service? I'm sure they'd have a few goals, but not 20+ over a full season.

If anything that only backs up my point that we shouldn't expect performances and results as good as Norwich, in that our midfield isn't as good as Norwich's as well as our strikers.
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I believe that if Holt was playing for us this season he would not have scored any where near the same amount of goals. If Rooney was playing for us this season I am not too sure it would have made much difference!

Fair points but at the same time, can you imagine Mooney or Sodje scoring regularly with good service? I'm sure they'd have a few goals, but not 20+ over a full season.

If anything that only backs up my point that we shouldn't expect performances and results as good as Norwich, in that our midfield isn't as good as Norwich's as well as our strikers.

Fair comment but I think our problems stem more from the coaching than anything else. PP sets up the team incorrectly time after time. Is tactically nieve and I do question him and his staffs ability to get the best out of a "decent" squad.
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I believe that if Holt was playing for us this season he would not have scored any where near the same amount of goals. If Rooney was playing for us this season I am not too sure it would have made much difference!

My point is that the difference between the results that Norwich and Charlton are getting at this stage of the season has much more to do with the relative managerial/coaching qualities of Parkinson and Lambert than the relative merits of the mid fielders or strikers that the two teams have at their disposal.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]With all due respect to the teams in this league and without sounding arrogant we should have been seeing performances and results as the supporters of Norwich have done this season[/quote]

With the squad we have we're third in the league where we should be with our team, but yes it's not convincing at all and we only look like we'll fall down the table, hopefully holding onto a play-off place. I know what you mean but I can't agree with our squad we're as good as Norwich, mainly because we're missing the one type of player they do have.[/quote]

Burton is nothing like Martin, Martin has got 20 goals this season, and regardless, if you have Holt, Burton or Wayne Rooney up front your strikers will only score if they are given the service, a prime example of that was Chris lwelumo (excuse the spelling of his surname) but the guy was banging them in for fun when he was getting the supply of Andy Reid and in true Charlton fashion once we sell Reid in the January window the goals stop., Iwelumo then makes the switch to Wolves and gets the service from Jarvis and Kightly and goes onto bag 25 goals. How can a club that is currently sitting third best three players are a goalkepper,a 36 year old centre half and a midfielder that is played out of position.

Current events would suggest that the board have no faith in the current managment set up as we had the perfect oppertunity to go and buy a proven striker in this league for £150k and what did the board do??
    Ok you could argue that Barnard offered more money however if you put a clause in the contract in which we have seen a pay rise on promotion or goals bonus there is the incentive for him to do well. Why have signed Leon Mackenze, to keep the bench warm, has been given a fair crack of the whip?

If one of the most overated players has no intention in signing a contract in the summer why not sell him in the January window? Sam s a player that is clearly not up for the fight and has no intention staying there next summer

Jon Jo Shelvey commited himself to the club and did not want the big money move in which we applauded as fans for his loyality, and what was the recognition for this, bombed out.

Scott Wagstaff has put in some great cameo performances, and scored some great goals, how is he rewarded, another one put in the bench.

Miguel Llera was brought to the club as Parkinson said that he was very good at playing the ball out of defence and that he had a very good left foot, i want a defender to defend, if he was that technically good on the ball why did he come to us on a free.?

Parkinson i am sick to the back teeth of watching you standing on the sidelines with your hands in your pocket. Although people knock the Warnock, and laugh at the statements mad by Holloway what would we give to have a manager with the passion and enthusiamsim of wither of them two mangers, we are fast becoming a club of how you should be run to one that has no direction, the only upside is that Peter Risdale is not the CEO.
  • I never mentioned parky in that post, im on about the players, maybe if parky is as shit as some of you lot make out, maybe the players can rise above him and start performances in, i certainly think that millwall result will wake them up!
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]I never mentioned parky in that post, im on about the players, maybe if parky is as shit as some of you lot make out, maybe the players can rise above him and start performances in, i certainly think that millwall result will wake them up!

If it don't wake them up, then nothing will!