Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blast from the Past

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I was sitting in slow moving traffic in one of the roads next to the stadium at about 2 pm yesterday, (I would not normally dream of a taking a car that close to a stadium on a match day but I was following some Millwall friends who were leading me to one of the safe parking spots near the ground that they regularly use) and I became very conscious of the hostile and aggressive attitude of all the home fans walking towards the ground. A lot of them were drinking bottled beer and looked like they had been doing so for a while. They seemed to be looking a bit too closely into all the cars that were crawling along slowly and I suddenly thought it was a good job I don’t have any Charlton stickers on my car and then I had a moment of panic when I remembered I often have old Charlton programs on the back seat or the floor. After a quick check I was relieved that nothing was visible that would identify me as a Charlton fan.

It was the first time in a long while I felt a little intimidated at a football match.

Then, into view, strolling, on his own, without a care in the world, resplendent in his Charlton shirt, which was clearly visible under his open jacket, appeared a character I use to often see when I use to regularly go to away games in the 90s. He is a black guy, and he often use to wear what looked like a Russian military fur cap, which I think he was wearing yesterday, and would always be carrying a ghetto blaster. The traffic started moving as I saw him so I don’t know if he suffered any abuse or worse as he passed the characters that had spooked me. For a few moments I was very worried for him.

Today, having got over the anger (well , maybe not quite yet) at yet another dismal performance on the pitch by the manager and the team, I feel glad that I saw him again, that he is well and that he is still following the team as passionately, in his own way, as before. In 10 years time Parkinson will be history, as will all these players and good riddance to them. But I hope, in 10 years time, I will still have the pleasure of seeing this Charlton character at the odd away game I might attend.

Comments

• norman,real charlton
  • Good old Norman!
  • What a great post. Also remember him and thankfully see him quite often around The Valley.
  • Also. Not sure why but this has raised my spirits.
  • Does he have a load of badges on his jacket?
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Does he have a load of badges on his jacket?

that's him.
  • headphones norm.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Does he have a load of badges on his jacket?

that's him.

See him almost every away game I go to!

At the end yesterday he was sitting right in the back corner when I saw him
  • saw him and Seb yesterday.

Shame that that was the highlight of my day!!
  • great post, feeling better already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep Norman - grew up with him round the Morris Walk Estate. Lovely bloke. And loves his Charlton!
  • Good on you Norman.Only have to look behind me see you every day stewards together on train to man utd 94.Glad to hear you have not lossed your dress sense.Both off us look much younger but nothing changes when it comes to supporting Charlton,you go to every game and i always see you when i attend.Love that picture of us both maybe oneday i will post it on this site.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NORMAN.LOVE YOUR FOR IT.
  • Norman = Legendary Charlton Fan ..... FACT
  • It is Norman....and he is legendary, and totally loyal.
  • Norman. Total legend.
  • Does Norman post on here.

True Charlton
  • I've seen that guy at the (rare) away games I go to.

Where does he sit at The Valley because I don't recall seeing him there.
  • Sits up the top of the north lower
  • I'm Covered End Upper so probably explains it.