Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey and burton

For some reason burton and shelvey didn't start

Yet when we went 2-0 he should have brought these two on. In the end shelvey didn't even get on and he decided to give wagstaff 3 mins. Why.

When will parkinson see we need to play shelvey. He's too good not to play.

I'm sorry but parkinson got it tacticly wrong today.

Comments

• I want to see them both back in the team. We're a better team with Burton, and I want to see Shelvey at least have a chance to develop while he's here. He makes mistakes but so do the whole team. Don't know about today but I'd rather he got a chance in the middle over Racon.
  • I haven't seen Shelvey play in person but with all the hype you would think he could handle league 1...so why not give him a run in the side.....he threw 19 year old Solly into the Lions Den today...btw I hate Millwall but you had to be impressed with the noise they produced today !!!!
  • the fact that these two, along with sam/wagstaff don't start is a joke... when are we going to realise we don't have the calibre or style to play 4-4-2 effectively against average to good league 1 teams... 4-5-1 with two attacking wingers and shelvey is the only time we have looked good in the last 4 seasons... - thomas, ambrose, bent and murphy made us look decent at the start of the prem 4 years ago.. at the back end of last season it was sam, zz, racon, shelvey, bailey, burton.... and this season its sam, semedo, racon, shelvey, bailey/reid and burton... SORT IT OUT
  • Shelvey would give us the class and creativity that we have been so badly lacking of late. I'd give him and Wagstaff a run in the team until the end of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc18[/cite]the fact that these two, along with sam/wagstaff don't start is a joke... when are we going to realise we don't have the calibre or style to play 4-4-2 effectively against average to good league 1 teams... 4-5-1 with two attacking wingers and shelvey is the only time we have looked good in the last 4 seasons... - thomas, ambrose, bent and murphy made us look decent at the start of the prem 4 years ago.. at the back end of last season it was sam, zz, racon, shelvey, bailey, burton.... and this season its sam, semedo, racon, shelvey, bailey/reid and burton... SORT IT OUT
    Sam? People have been moaning "what does Sam do to keep his place?"

Wagstaff - he struggled in the home game, can you not understand why he didn't start today? How many games has he done well when he's started and not come on as a sub?

I agree about 4-5-1 but we could have just as easily had the same result with Wagstaff or Sam starting.
  • sam or wagstaff give us an outlet, they may be hit and miss but they scare defenses..and it balances the team. no way we would have got beat 4-0 with 4-5-1(4-4-1-1)
  • It does and yeah they do, but people were ready to have a go at Sam for hiding before we even kicked off today.
  • true. but i think that is unfair. he is that type of player... football is about balance leave the fighting for the defense and holding midfielders and the flare to strikers and wingers
  • I've been defending him for a while but I can completely understand why he was dropped. He wasn't confident at all, he was taking the safe option and he would have struggled today playing like that.
  • that is down to parky and the coaching staff, you have to put confidence into your players
  • Sponsored links:

• but i would have probably played waggy.. him and shelvey always play well together as they grew through the u18s together
  • As I said when we were 1-0 down put on Burton, if he is injured why is he on the bench!......If he has a 'strain' then obviously he cannot play a whole game, have the op or a complete rest.

Shelvey was our best player last season at this time, so what has happened! besides being a year older, and playing in a lower division. So if our best youngster is not up to playing against our rivals, what does that say about the rest!.

I do not know what Parky's game plan was, and do not claim to know what goes on in the Charlton camp. But these are two players who are capable of getting a goal and winning a game, certainly from the rest of the squad.
    Okay not the end of the world, or the end of the season, but christ we took a coating today and that is my opinion, are we big enough to respond to this......
  • Thought parky was resting shelvey originally, but how long does a rest have to be?

Got to be back in against gills.
  • completely agree. Burton to start, shelvey to come in at HT or 67th
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]completely agree. Burton to start, shelvey to come in at HT or 67th

Why leave Shelvey off for that long? Do you think he needs a bit more rest? The only time we looked Good and played football was with Shelvey behind Burton. Dont give him 20 minutes give him the whole game and not just one but a run of games and we might just save something this season
  • edited March 2010
    I hate to resurrect the hoary old chestnut of loanees, but just a thought: if there is one game in which you play your own because they (hopefully) understand what is at stake, it's a derby game like Millwall.

Three of our own - Burton, Shelvey and Sam - were stood down today in favour of three players - Reed, Mooney, and Sodje - none of whom will be at the Valley next season.

Not criticising the loan players per se , because Reed has done well and Akpo has been in good scoring form of late. But for them it wasn't a local derby because they are only passing through south-east London and Charlton is merely a transit lounge on their journey from somewhere else to somewhere else ...
  • Sam? Really? So many people have been criticizing him after every game, wondering why he was still in the team. If he had played and performed like he has for the last month, there'd be loads of talk about he's one of "Parky's undroppable favourites".

Do wonder how fit Burton is at the moment, as we really miss him. Mooney tries to link the play, but Burton has that bit more quality. Akpo was in the team as he's been scoring goals, that's understandable.

Shelvey fair enough, I want to see him play. Wasn't expecting his first game back to be this one though.

I know what you mean, but there are bigger problems than the loanees.
  • edited March 2010
    Agreed, Scoham. They are not the problem and I wasn't saying they were. But I still think the likes of Shelvey, Burton and even Sam would be more 'up for the fight' in our biggest derby game.

Like you, my biggest frustration is Shelvey's continued omission. If my stats are right, he has started just six of the last 24 games - which is one hell of a ''rest''.

OK, he's only 18. But let's not forget he played the first 12 games this season - which was our most succesful spell and netted us 25 points. He then lost his place, unbelievably, to Mcleod for three games, and then to Mooney.

I'm also dubious about this ''only 17/18, needs to be used sparingly'' stuff.

I thought the point is that when you are that age, it's not like a career or a profession or a job. You are playing football because you love it more than life itself and that's all you want to do... at least that's what they said about Rooney.

I really cannot see what Jon Jo can posibly learn from being told '''bide your time and watch how McLeod and Mooney handle themselves''...
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Agreed, Scoham. They are not the problem and I wasn't saying they were. But I still think the likes of Shelvey, Burton and even Sam would be more 'up for the fight' in our biggest derby game.

Like you, my biggest frustration is Shelvey's continued omission. If my stats are right, he has started just six of the last 24 games - which is one hell of a ''rest''.

OK, he's only 18. But let's not forget he played the first 12 games this season - which was our most succesful spell and netted us 25 points. He then lost his place, unbelievably, to Mcleod for three games, and then to Mooney.

I'm also dubious about this ''only 17/18, needs to be used sparingly'' stuff.

I thought the point is that when you are that age, it's not like a career or a profession or a job. You are playing football because you love it more than life itself and that's all you want to do... at least that's what they said about Rooney.

I really cannot see what Jon Jo can posibly learn from being told '''bide your time and watch how McLeod and Mooney handle themselves''...

I think at this rate he'll be watching much better players than Mcleod and Mooney next year.
  • [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]btw I hate Millwall but you had to be impressed with the noise they produced today !!!!

really?? though their support was pretty sh1t - sure they were noisy in the second half at 2/3-0 up but first half all their fans were concerned with was giving the wanker sign and cut throat sign to us lot. very little noise in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jonjo won't be with us next season, imho we will still be in this two bob league with players who are a disgrace. Shelvey who has genuine quality will probably be playing at a higher level with better plays. I hope Jonjo plays more before the end of season but I would not bet on it.

We could have a strikeforce of Mooney and McLeod come August!
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Jonjo won't be with us next season, imho we will still be in this two bob league with players who are a disgrace. Shelvey who has genuine quality will probably be playing at a higher level with better plays. I hope Jonjo plays more before the end of season but I would not bet on it.

We could have a strikeforce of Mooney and McLeod come August!

I wouldn't stay if i wasn't getting a look in with the way we've been playing. Just hope we get to see what he can do before he goes. Rather than watch him do it on telly for another team
  • No for a fact shelvey is gone in july done and dusted transfer, don't no who though.
  • edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]No for a fact shelvey is gone in july done and dusted transfer, don't no who though.[/quote]

I have watched him since he was 14 and think he is a potentially fantastic player but the sad thing is that is not being developed here and I almost hope he goes before he is dragged down further by this crap team and manager. Fancy being a player like him with Charlton blood in hisw veins and being passed over by a feeble, gutless show pony like Racon. I love this club and hate this team and the clueless manager.
  • Does anyone remember the Orient game when we had Shelvey and Burton up top and everyone began shouting '4-4-2'. Goes to show that we know just as little as Parkinson does.
  • Top scorer not starting.
  • [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Does anyone remember the Orient game when we had Shelvey and Burton up top and everyone began shouting '4-4-2'. Goes to show that we know just as little as Parkinson does.

I wonder if it has to be 4-4-1-1 with Shelvey in the side? I'm perfectly preprared for others to shoot me down and tell me this is a stupid idea: but what about trying him as an out-and-out striker alongside Burton in a 4-4-2 ?

He's got most of the attributes a striker needs as far as I can tell, including an eye for goal ...

What do you think, Nadou, as you've been watching him progress through the different levels for four years now?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick

I wonder if it has to be 4-4-1-1 with Shelvey in the side? I'm perfectly preprared for others to shoot me down and tell me this is a stupid idea: but what about trying him as an out-and-out striker alongside Burton in a 4-4-2 ?

He's got most of the attributes a striker needs as far as I can tell, including an eye for goal ...

What do you think, Nadou, as you've been watching him progress through the different levels for four years now?[/quote]

Incorruptible - he could hardly do worse than what we saw today, could he?! Trouble is, he has been so poorly treated by our management this season, I no longer know how good he is in any position. All I know is he has a football brain where most of our players don't have a brain of any kind.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]Fancy being a player like him with Charlton blood in hisw veins and being passed over by a feeble, gutless show pony like Racon. I love this club and hate this team and the clueless manager.

I agree that Jonjo should have played today but I thought Racon was the one player who was a bit composed in midfield and actually had one of his better games lately. Jonjo for whatever reason has rarely played centre midfield for us, sp I would have much rather played him over Mooney. And saying he has Charlton blood running through his veins may be pushing it a bit far though, he's a Hammer
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Does anyone remember the Orient game when we had Shelvey and Burton up top and everyone began shouting '4-4-2'. Goes to show that we know just as little as Parkinson does.

What do you think, Nadou, as you've been watching him progress through the different levels for four years now?
    He'd drop deep anyway, does it really make that much difference.

For me he played well when he stayed up the pitch and supported Burton. In the games where he dropped right back in front of the defence it just wasn't working. He was desperate to get things going and he's still learning so I don't blame him.