Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Pacific

Being a huge 'Band of Brothers' fan, i cannot wait for this.

Sky keep showing the trailer but it says 'Coming this Easter'. Anybody know exactly when the first episodes are going to air?...im away alot over the next few weeks and ill be gutted if i miss it.

Comments

• Options
    April 4th, I can't wait for this either, BoB is one of the greatest tv series ever produced. If you aren't hit by how powerful the episode "Why we fight" then you aren't human.
  • Options
    If its half as good as Band of Brothers I'll be happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just heard them talking on the radio about this. It has cost $230 million to make the ten episodes and has the most realistic action scenes ever filmed (said a bloke who's seen the first two episodes). The blood and guts scenes are even more realistic than Pte, Ryan . Sounds like I'll be recording it and watching after 'er indoors has gone to bed! Oh, and they used live ammo for the sound effects to get it right (dubbed on that is!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]It has cost $230 to make the ten episode

That can't be right?
  • Options
    Sorry: see edited version. This one finger typing wears me out!
  • Options
    Can't wait, band of brothers is a classic. I would go as far as to say the greatest war film/drama. I saw the trailer for the pacific last night so am very excited.
  • Options
    Can't wait, band of brothers is a classic. I would go as far as to say the greatest war film/drama. I saw the trailer for the pacific last night so am very excited.
  • Options
    Was watching the "Crossroads" BoB episode on HBO last night. Fantastic series. Have seen Pacific advertised but not paid much attention. Will they follow one company again?
  • Options
    Correct me if Im wrong, but isn't this only going to be shown on SkyHD only??
  • Options
    Band of Brothers is the greatest program ever made fact. I believe its got one of the highest if not the highest score on IMDB. As for the pacific, it looks amazing, ive never really liked the pacific conflict though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just asked my son who works for Sky and he says as far as he knows it's not just HD as there are not enough HD subscibers yet and Sky wouldn't get enough of a return on their investment.
  • Options
    To me, one of the best things about this series was the bonus disk in the dvd boxset which had very moving interviews with many of the real characters.
  • Options
    Bermuda_red, I gather it follows the experiences of three marines in seperate companies, and in different locations, so a slightly different format to BoB.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]Band of Brothers is the greatest program ever made fact. I believe its got one of the highest if not the highest score on IMDB. As for the pacific, it looks amazing, ive never really liked the pacific conflict though.

Completely agree. let's hope this can ignite my interest though, I have a feeling it will be so good it will
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]Band of Brothers is the greatest program ever made fact. I believe its got one of the highest if not the highest score on IMDB. As for the pacific, it looks amazing, ive never really liked the pacific conflict though.
    Yeah, me either. Just a bunch of yanks killing a bunch of japs. Boring.
  • Options

I gather the blokes who were there didn't go much on it either
  • Options
    I absolutely loved band of brothers, cant wait for the pacific either! Just thought B of B it grips you and pulls you right in, making you feel like your actually with them! The opening music sends shivers down my spine every time i put it back in my dvd player to watch ONCE again!
  • Options
    Ditto what you have all said, BOB was the best series ever to hit the TV screens, well in my opion anyway so cannot wait.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Just heard them talking on the radio about this. It has cost $230 million to make the ten episodes and has the most realistic action scenes ever filmed (said a bloke who's seen the first two episodes).

You mean this isn't a reference to a 4-6-2 Pacific "West Country" class locomotive, designed by Mr Bullied and later rebuilt with Walschearts valve gear?

I thought you were a proper Anorak!!
  • Options
    cant wait for it, and bunch of my m8s are in it - they filmed alot of it in nz, so loads of friends who are out travelling are extra's in the war scenes!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah, afternoon Mr. Oggy. No anorak today, got the day off but will have ancient 'bikers jacket on this Sunday for the Pioneer Run (pre. WW1 'bikes) which comes past the front door. The Triumph owners club will be here to so feel free to drop in y'self if you can. As for The Pacific, I am reliably informed that it will be shown on Sky Movies Premiere and also HD. Sky however are really pushing the HD as they hope they will get loads of people up-grading on the back of this series (and thus keep my lad employed). P.S Did you know those engines weighed 90 tons?
  • Options
    Massive fan of BOB, cant wait for this one.
    Also massive fan of the real Guys that were there.
    BoB autographed art and memotrabillia is flying through he roof at the moment.
    Just got a personalaised autogrphed copy of Bill Guarniere and Babe heffrons autobiography, an even better read than Stephen Ambroses book.
    Also got a few more autographed art pieces from Valor Studios. Links below

The exploits of the 101st US Airborne were fantastic, but they were knocked into a cocked hat by the British Airborne (Ox and Bucks), they took Pegasus Bridge and the Merville Paras who took the Merville battery, now that would be a good story, however the Yanks won the war so they get the credit!!!!!

http://wildbillguarnere.com/

http://www.valorstudios.com/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]P.S Did you know those engines weighed 90 tons?

No, not at all, Mr March ....... is that heavy for a steam locomotive?

If it is, perhaps in honour of Charlton and our much vaunted association with the anorak wearing trainspotting fraternity - it could be renamed, "Large Addick"......?

;o)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oggy, I can't do links but google South Devon Railway- The Addick. Not a heavyweight but interesting all the same. (Sorry folks for digressing.)
  • Options
    Thought BOB was great and am looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Saw episode 1 of The Pacific on HBO earlier this week. Very graphic as you would expect and certainly worth watching. I never had the same fascination for war v Japan as I have for Germany away. totally different ball game, as illustrated by first episode. It must have been a terrifying experience invading those islands not knowing what to expect from the Japanese. Its early days but I think fans of BoB will like it.
  • Options
    Seen the first episode, pretty amazing.
  • Options
    It's an impossible campaign to focus on. Gruesome battles like the Battle of Buna-Gona, that few people are aware of their strategic place in WWII. It's not like Operation Overlord and beyond that most people can easily understand, on to Germany etc.

Still the first episode was enthralling, and I'll be intrigued how and what island campaigns they show and if they show the utter devestation of all major Japanese cities.
  • Options
    i have seen first three episodes, great mini series. Those soldiers didnt know what to expect. cant wait for episode four. If anyone wants to watch it, down load utorrent and then visit EZTV.
  • Options
    Seen the first two episodes and it was cracking.

A pretty gruesome opening couple but it is great.

No well-known actors as well which is refreshing.