Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Headed Goals

As Wayne Rooney has obviously been working on his headers and has scored some belters over the last month or so, i was trying to think of the best headed goal i have seen at the valley. I came up with Shaun Newtons headed goal against Huddersfield i think it was at home around 96/97 season? Headed the ball in from an angle outside of the box, probably the best headed goal i have seen at the valley. Please say some of you remember that goal?

Can any you you guys think of any better? im sure Leaburn must have got a few decent headed goals in?

Comments

• I thought Akpo's last saturday was alot better than he's been given credit for, given how far out he was and how little pace there was on the cross.

Bartlett scored a decent one against Man U I think in the 3-3 draw.

Holland in the 4-2 against Chelsea
  • Yes remember it we well, was it 2-1 Charlton? Huddersfield played in a bright yellow strip. If I'm right I can seem to remember leaburn scoring a powerful header at the covered end against Ipswich. Can't rememeber exact season but think the final score was 3-1/3-0.
  • Has to be one of many by Matt Tees. I remember Dick Plumb scoring a cracker as well against Portsmouth. I have to say Akpo's against Stockport was very well taken.
  • Phil Chappel scored some decent headers.
  • edited March 2010
    Me, I love diving headers ..... used to be my speciality when I was playing, lol

Thai Malysia, you'll remember Dickie Plumb used to come up with some fantastically brave diving headers, body horizontal 3 feet off the ground; mind you he seemed to hit the post more times than he scored - I can't remember anyone else who hit the woodwork so many times in so few games.

I can only see around 10 games a season, so can anyone else come up with remembering superb diving headers scored for Charlton?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Me, I love diving headers ..... used to be my speciality when I was playing, lol

Thai Malysia, you'll remember Dickie Plumb used to come up with some fantastically brave diving headers, body horizontal 3 feet off the ground; mind you he seemed to hit the post more times than he scored - I can't remember anyone else who hit the woodwork so many times in so few games.

I can only see around 10 games a season, so can anyone else come up with remembering superb diving headers scored for Charlton?

Shaun Bartlett's header at Spurs was fantastic. Great one-two down the right (it was Luke Young and one of our midfielders - can't recall who), brilliant cross by Young and Bartlett just gets on the end of it and buries it in the opposite bottom corner.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]so can anyone else come up with remembering superb diving headers scored for Charlton?

I seem to recall Paul Went sending a diving header crashing into the net at The Covered End. The opponents, I think, wore stripes - Newcastle? Brighton?
  • Simon Webster got a few beauties in 1991/92 as well
  • Darren Bent's v Villa year we went down from PL...El Karkouri beauty pass i seem to remember!
  • Chris Iwelumo's header against Saints in last min, beauty of a cross and great header.

Actually he had a few good headers that season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jonjo Shelvey's deft effort at Norwich was a much better goal than it appeared on first viewing. For me, no-one can match Peter Osgood's epic dive and thumping header to level for Chelsea against dirty dirty Leeds in the 1970 Cup Final.
  • I don't know about at the Valley - but classic Jim Melrose at Selhurst sticks in the mind ( forgotten who against , maybe Everton?)

Also a cracking Arthur Horsfield header away at peterborough in '75.

I love headers like those, where the scorer has to leap and get the power and direction from their neck muscles.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Me, I love diving headers ..... used to be my speciality when I was playing, lol

How about Keithie's against the Gills at Priestfield in the 70's.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I remember Newts' header against Huddersfield. I was right behind it and saw the keeper out of position - it was an absolute fluke though. Mendonca scored a cracker against West Brom the promotion season - we won 5-0. It was the first, he outjumped (I think) Matt Carbon on the penalty spot and angled it in the far corner - no mean feat considering the ball was crossed in slightly behind him and Carbon was about six inches taller than him.
  • Phil Warmen against Sunderland at The Valley.Diving header on the 18yard line.The keeper John Dunn did not stand a chance 2-2.That was one of the best own goals i have seen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I don't know about at the Valley - but classic Jim Melrose at Selhurst sticks in the mind ( forgotten who against , maybe Everton?)

Also a cracking Arthur Horsfield header away at peterborough in '75.

I love headers like those, where the scorer has to leap and get the power and direction from their neck muscles.

Ruud Gullit in the euros that they won I think. Best. Header. Ever.
  • My favourite headers from this season:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8248456.stm
  • I remember a game against Tranmere when Ron 'man mountain' Yeats was their player manager. A free kick came over and King Arthur beat Yeats in the air but instead of heading goalwards wrongfooted the whole defence by placing a perfectly weighted ball in the path of the incoming Hales who happily thumped it home. Horsefield's skill in the air was amazing ; If only we had a few more unselfish and big hearted players like that today!
  • Marcus Bent away to Man City.

Bullet near post headers....Derek Hales home to Portsmouth & Huddersield (both followed by Killer style kneeling clenched fist grimace). Mike Flanagan away to Brighton in the 5-3 win. Robert Lee home to Oxford in the 3-3 draw.

Other strong ones....Steve Jones home to Huddersfield(?), Alex Dyer at Selhurst v Bristol Rovers and Everton, Carl Leaburn at Man Utd in the cup and probably my favourite...away to Blackburn for a late equaliser from Colin Walsh's cross.

And various good ones from Alan Pardew, Matt Svensson, Phil Chapple, Simon Webster, Andy Jones, jim Melrose and Ronnie Moore.
  • I seem to remember Paul Walsh scoring two great headers in a 2-0 win against (I think) Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard Rufus v Sunderland wasn't bad either :)
  • Steve Browns header at Higbury was decent, start of something special that afternoon
  • Pardews header against Burnley in the FA Cup in the 90's
  • Sam Sodje's header against Mk Dons this season was spot on!

Rufus v Blackburn in 2002 was good aswell.

Bartlett's winner against portsmouth away in 2003 was quite special aswell, the corner from Di Canio was amazing!
  • Martin Pringle's header against Chelsea in 00 deserves special mention too!
  • JJ against Arsenal in 2000/2001. Really good cross from Stuart and a fine header.
  • Only one for me - Shirty in the playoff final with 2 mins left in 1987.