Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virus Warning

13»

Comments

• Options
    Panic Over (I Think/Hope).
    Was told to type in "1147-175591-6550" into the box.....
    seems to have done the job....I hope
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That doesn't sound to me like you've got rid of it, tbh. Trying to con you into buying rogue security software is by far the most common form of malware - and telling you to 'enter a code' to disable it is the most suspect thing I've ever heard of! I suggest you download MalwareBytes from here, run it, and fix whatever it tells you is infected. There's no guarantee that this will work, hoever, as the malware might already be resident in memory. If so, you'll need to download a utility that can kill the memory-resident process before running malwarebytes - let me know if that's the case.
  • Options
    Thanks Leroy. I got the number from the Computer Shop in Sydenham Road & haven't had anything "popping-up" since. Also the little Vista Shield has disappeared from the bottom right of the screen. Will run the "MalwareBytes" thingy later. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Entering the code apparently disables the malware - quite a few threads on the net about it. 
  • Options
    So I did right ? On a computer ? Blimey........ ;-)
  • Options

Wow - that's pretty good. Seems like someone has reverse engineered the malware and found a specific code used by the creators to disable it. Pretty neat - though it indicates shabby coding on the part of the malware creator - they should have used something to create a random sequence of numbers through use of a salting algorithm based on something unique about the specific installation. Some of these gits just use off-the-shelf kits to create variants of the same old scams - at least there's a few bods fighting back nowadays.

Just for info, if anyone else happens along here and wants advice, the standard way of getting rid of malware nowadays (and nearly everything you get infected with will be 'malware', rather than a 'virus') is to download malwarebytes, run it, let it fix anything it finds then - if it fails - pop along to the malwarebytes forum and seek some more in-depth help (usually involving downloading a process-killing tool and running scans in safe mode - all pretty simple)

• Options

Thanks Leroy.

I did use Malwarebytes and it advised me, and as I agreed, it deleted some dlls that were necessary for the professional software that I use.

No big issue, I just reinstalled it, but I guess it will identify them every time I run it?

• Options
    I have checked this sit out with McAfee, they have given the site the all clear. Saying there are no significant problems.
  • Options
    @KHA - it has a built in "ignore list"