Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Loose Ends?? Band that used to play at the Valley pre-match in the mid 60s

Query on Robert Elms show about this band who were also the house band at Scotch (sp) of St James.

Said to have been pre-match entertainment at the Valley in 65, 66, 67.

I've never heard of them but BBC London want info on them.

Soundas? Len?

Comments

• Strange, the only band I can find by that name were around in the 80's not 60's.

And although I was young, I do not remember such a band at the Valley.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Strange, the only band I can find by that name were around in the 80's not 60's.

And although I was young, I do not remember such a band at the Valley.

me neither. Remember Loose Ends in the 80s.

Maybe it's a total red herring
  • Vaguely remember them. Started as a 'mod' band, I think.

They're listed in the catalogue of bands who played at the Marquee in the 1960s with other mod bands like the Birds and The Action and made two singles in 1966 for Decca's Deram label - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore b/w Send The People Away and Taxman b/w That's it...

The first single was a cover of the Rascals song. The second was a cover of the George Harrison song which opens Revolver.

I've actually got their version of Taxman on a Decca compilation CD called Freakbeat and am playing it now. Oddly, given it was a Beatles song, the singer goes out of his way to try to sound like Jagger. Nice guitar on it, though.
  • Sorry Henry they ring no bells with me.

Dick Neve and his collection from Plumstead Records I think it was are what I remember in the way of pre match entertainment back then over the tannoy.
  • Cheers Nigel.
  • edited March 2010
    Ahhh, also on a compilation album called The Mod Scene which includes That's It.

Described as a motley bunch of brummies who were responsible for 2 Decca singles.

No mention of the Valley though.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sorry Henry they ring no bells with me.

Dick Neve and his collection from Plumstead Records I think it was are what I remember in the way of pre match entertainment back then over the tannoy.

Mayor of Greenwich before my uncle was Dick
  • I'm almost sure I've got a programme from the mid 60's which mentions them playing at the next home game. I'll try and find it to check.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]I'm almost sure I've got a programme from the mid 60's which mentions them playing at the next home game. I'll try and find it to check.

Impressed. You remember a 35 year old article about George Tadman and Man Utd and now this.
  • edited March 2010
    No idea what happened to them after their two singles flopped.

They probably went back to being postmen or gas fitters or what ever they did before their five minutes of (non) fame.

Has anybody ever heard that interview with Ringo at the height of Beatlemania circa 1963/4 when he's asked what he plans to do ''when it's all over''?

He replies that he'd liked to go back to Liverpool and open a hair-dressing salon... he sounded quite excited by the idea, too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey yes, The Loose Ends, what memories...they were a local outfit so I'm surprised to hear they were Brummies but maybe they were, it was a long while ago....the singer (his name was Alan) was very good indeed and should really have gone onto bigger and better things.
    Resident for yonks at The El Partido all night discoteque in Lewisham(just up Lee High Road) and would often be on the bill at local venues, they had something of a following and were well thought of as a hard working proffesional bunch.
    They didn't quite make it much outside of SE London....well, shall we say it was their stronghold....yes they were a Mod band or at least played for Mod audiences....though I don't remember them being that much into The Mod scene dress or culture wise.
    Would be fair to say most thought more of Alan than the band itself and would have liked to see him progress further...and although many thought he would sadly he didn't.
    I got to know him a little bit as I was a regular at The El.
  • Charlton fan just rang in to say he didn't remember them from The Valley but did see them at the El Partido.

Said they were big in SE London so maybe not the same group. Said they were jazzy blues band.

The caller to the show said he was in another local band called the Roadrunners

Also the lead singer Alan Whitehead went on to be in Marmalade.
  • I think Alan Whitehead was a drummer in Marmalade.....not 100% certain that's the same fella?
  • Is this him? (dig those threads)
  • Don't recognise him...he was quite a big fella with very rugged/craggy looks...no he's not there.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]I'm almost sure I've got a programme from the mid 60's which mentions them playing at the next home game. I'll try and find it to check.[/quote]

Impressed. You remember a 35 year old article about George Tadman and Man Utd and now this.[/quote]

Trouble is, ask me who we played three weeks ago and I'd probably have to google it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]I'm almost sure I've got a programme from the mid 60's which mentions them playing at the next home game. I'll try and find it to check.

Impressed. You remember a 35 year old article about George Tadman and Man Utd and now this.

Trouble is, ask me who we played three weeks ago and I'd probably have to google it!

It was Liverpool. We won 2 - 0 and were 7th in the Premier League.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Said they were big in SE London so maybe not the same group. Said they were jazzy blues band.

Pretty certain it was the same group.Definite r&b influence, which would explain the blues reference. And I think they had an organist who did swirly Georgie Fame type things on a Hammond B-3, which would explain the ''jazzy'' reference. The Spencer Davis Group would be another good reference point.

Wherever they came from originally, the group that recorded for Deram certainly appears to have been London-based by 1966.

Alan Whitehead was definitely local - he came from Orpington and was a postman. Can't find any reference to him having been in the Loose Ends, though.
  • edited March 2010
    http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=471587

I've tried making out the names of the writers with a naked eye and think they could be Pinder and Laine .

Ring any bells with anyone?
  • Alan Whitehead has just rung the show.

Brian Mason was their manager and booked the gig at the Valley. Game after Charlton v Bury in 1966 so could have been one of two games v Covenrty

AW said he did join Marmalade. Was the drummer.

Alan Marshall was the singer, Anglo-indian and was taken back to Muscle shoels by Otis Redding as so good

Mentioned El Partido and being local boys. Also played at Scotch of St James.

AW now a manager in music business

Alan Marshall went on to be in the band Happy Magazine managed by Alan Price
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Said they were big in SE London so maybe not the same group. Said they were jazzy blues band.

Pretty certain it was the same group.Definite r&b influence, which would explain the blues reference. And I think they had an organist who did swirly Georgie Fame type things on a Hammond B-3, which would explain the ''jazzy'' reference. The Spencer Davis Group would be another good reference point.

Wherever they came from originally, the group that recorded for Deram certainly appears to have been London-based by 1966.

Alan Whitehead was definitely local - he came from Orpington and was a postman. Can't find any reference to him having been in the Loose Ends, though.

AW confirmed it was the same group.
  • Alan Marshall....that's the fella!!
    Bloody good singer he was.
    Henry, I couldn't quite make out what you were trying to say re him in your last post....something about Muscle shoels/ Otis Redding?
    Brian Mason was sort of pals with Tony Hayes who ran The Bromel Club at Bromley Court Hotel where Hendrix played one of his very first gigs in The UK..... 5/- i.e.25p to get in.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=471587

I've tried making out the names of the writers with a naked eye and think they could be Pinder and Laine .

Ring any bells with anyone?

Pinder and Laine were in the Moody Blues I believe...
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Alan Marshall....that's the fella!!
    Bloody good singer he was.
    Henry, I couldn't quite make out what you were trying to say re him in your last post....something about Muscle shoels/ Otis Redding?
    Brian Mason was sort of pals with Tony Hayes who ran The Bromel Club at Bromley Court Hotel where Hendrix played one of his very first gigs in The UK..... 5/- i.e.25p to get in.

Whitehead said that Marshall was a fantastic singer and that he was so good that when Otis heard him he invited him to go to Muscle Shoals to record.

He didn't say if anything came of it but if Otis thinks you are good then you are good.
  • What a fascinating discussion. Quite made my afternoon (which shows you what a sad and bored old codger I am!)

SoundAs, do you remember another Bromley club that put on bands in the mid-60s called Peyton Place? Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll played there quite a lot...
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]What a fascinating discussion. Quite made my afternoon (which shows you what a sad and bored old codger I am!)

SoundAs, do you remember another Bromley club that put on bands in the mid-60s called Peyton Place? Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll played there quite a lot...

No, I don't remember that place....how about The Iron Curtain ....wasn't that in St Marys Cray?
  • Re Pinder and Laine - yes, Mike and Denny from the Moodies, as Len says. They wrote the b-side on the Loose Ends first single.

And both bands were on the same Decca/Deram label, of course...
  • Denny Laine is of course the person, along with Macca, that I co-wrote a certain song with.

Well, sort of : - )
  • Yes, the Iron Curtain was just down from the Anglesea Arms in SMC and was a famous pill-popping haunt in the mid-60s.

I lived just down the road in St Paul's Cray and was about 13-14 when it was at the height of its notoriety and remember my parents giving me dire warnings not to go near the place... so, of course, I did and was first introduced to amphetamines there. Quite legal at the time, I think, widely prescribed as slimming tablets.
  • Ha ha....could tell you a thing or two!