Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meantime Brewery

I know there are a few fans of the Meantime Brewery on here so, not sure if you have seen, but their new bar/cafe/restuarant opens on the 23rd of March...

www.oldbrewerygreenwich.com

Personally I can't wait as love the Union but the setting on this place sounds great.

Hic
CC

Comments

• I'll be visiting this place, fecking love their beer.
  • Went to the Union before the game on Saturday as The Albert is closed for a re-furb and got charged £4.95 for a pint of Red, the barman cringed as he asked me for the cash, it was nice though.
  • 4.95 for a piint of Red? whats that - red wine???

Slight off topic but i just heard that the Swan has been bought byt someone and is going to be turned nito a bistro. Now whether this is complete tosh i dont know... but it does had a nice lick of white paint.
  • I love a beer.

However, have never quite got on with Meantime's stuff. Dunno why. I want to like it - local small business and all that - but I just don't rate it.

And the Greenwich Union is an absolutely terrible "pub". Why go in there when the best pub in Greenwich is immediately next door?
  • I'm pissed off with Meantime at the moment. They were supposed to be doing Lavender Porter this month, and the whole world of beer connoiseurs were eagerly awaiting it, but when my mate rang up to order some, they said they were just doing the normal (London) Porter instead. Wusses.
  • Lavender and beer do not mix. FACT.
  • Hmmm, don't know what to say Off_it... I tend to drink the 'lagers' in the Union rather than the other brews, which is strange in itself as on the whole I don't drink lager... I know what you mean about the Union...can be a bit hit and miss and depends on who's serving - some have attitude, some don't...I usually go with a mate and end up on a barstool at the side of the bar which is a good place to be and we just get stuck in, chat and don't really pay much attention to what's going on around us... Haven't been next door for several years now, no idea why.....will try again next time up there..

CC
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]I know there are a few fans of the Meantime Brewery on here so, not sure if you have seen, but their new bar/cafe/restuarant opens on the 23rd of March...
    www.oldbrewerygreenwich.com

That slightly annoys me, as I love correcting the barstaff at my local when they tell punters who ask where the lager is from "it's brewed in Greenwich". Actually, it's brewed in Charlton I correct them, providing maps, receipts and other documentation to prove the point. Now it seems, they finally ARE going to brew in Greenwich, like they've claimed to for years. Sounds like the microbrewery there is so small it will only really supply that new bar/cafe itself, and everything else will come from SE7, but it's still annoying that Meantime is no longer going to be JUST brewed in Charlton. Gadnammit.
  • It’s brewed in Charlton ? Whereabouts ?

I think that makes me love it even more !!

P.S as Charlton is in Greenwich I guess it technically has been brewed in Greenwich. It’s like when I try and chat up girls, if they ask me where I’m from I say “Greenwich” then I enjoy the look of disappointment when the taxi pulls up in Eltham.
  • The brewery is in the industrial estate between the Thames and The Valley...
  • Sponsored links:

• I had to check this gaff out online £4.95 for a beer 1 fooking beer the best part of £5, i couldnt give a shite how good it cost its a fiver noway can it be worth it.

Bar Menu
    £2.50Curried peanuts for a bag of peanuts

£2.50Middle white pork scratching's for a pack of pork scratchings????

£3.50Hand cut chips for a packet of crisps WTF

£11.00Grilled Galloway beef burger with Applewood cheddar, whole grain mustard mayo, homemade tomato relish, chips and mixed leaf salad, Lets get this right a burger for 11 quid

£12.00Fish & chips – Fillet of haddock- Home made tartare sauce

It is fish and chips.

This pub should be avoided unless you are fooking minted you lot are craz\y
  • Was in there with CHG. Mad prices. One quick pint then off to the much better boozer next door. Really hope the Albert is the same as it was before (only slightly done up) and doesn't go all gastro. It's our regular pre and post game boozer for a decent pint and some darts.
  • longtimelistenerfirsttimecaller_meantime.jpg

Brewery circled. Exactly halfway between the Valley and the Flood Barrier.

First discovered Meantime beers at the 2003 Stockholm Beer Festival, where they had a huge stand. Was amazed to spot SE7 in the address on the bottles. Apparently their bottled beer was big in the States and Scandinavia way before they started getting known over here. They were originally marketed towards Yanks, hence all the references to Greenwich, the meridan, etc.

Glad to see they've really started taking off in recent years. My local in Brighton, the only lager they do is Meantime Helles, and more and more away games I'm finding pubs with a couple of Meantime beers on (eg London Stout in a pub near Carrow Road). The good thing about them doing keg rather than cask beers is places that do Meantime do it permanently (on a huge Meantime-branded pump), whereas cask ales tend to only be on for a week or two before changing to something else.

Still gutted about the Lavender Porter though.

And whoever is complaining about prices in the Union should try the Rake in Borough Market. I've paid £6 for a THIRD of a pint of beer in there, and they charge £3 for a bag of crisps. Crikey!
  • The Meantime Brewery's currently on Penhall Road, although I've heard they're moving to a new site off Blackwall Lane, Greenwich.

Its boss Alistair Hook is a Charlton fan, I believe.
  • [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]Was in there with CHG. Mad prices. One quick pint then off to the much better boozer next door. Really hope the Albert is the same as it was before (only slightly done up) and doesn't go all gastro. It's our regular pre and post game boozer for a decent pint and some darts.

I don't know though, cavier and arras could be a good crack.
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite][
    And whoever is complaining about prices in the Union should try the Rake in Borough Market. I've paid £6 for a THIRD of a pint of beer in there, and they charge £3 for a bag of crisps. Crikey!

What i would have peeeed my pants larfing and said your alrite keep it

i saw a programme last night where the fella was give a shot of whiskey that was 250 squid a dram now i am hoping a dram is scottish for 20 bottles
  • Menu looks nice in the restaurant though.

Once payed 36 bucks for 4 halves in a hotel in New York, and tipping the balance of the 40 was pretty much mandatory. The scenery both indoor and out the window was impressive, but I wouldn't get trashed in there.
  • NLA - what ever you do, don't go to Norway!!

£12 per pint over there in some bars!!
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]NLA - what ever you do, don't go to Norway!!

WHAT no fooking way
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]NLA - what ever you do, don't go to Norway!!

WHAT no fooking way

worth paying if you see the women (and have bought a bottle of vodka duty free at the airport!)
  • edited March 2010
    Used to Live in Hyde Vale......pubs were alway busy then!
    May well check this out on Friday lunchtime the pub.
    Looks promising......
  • Popped in on Friday early evening. What a lovely setting. Sat outside until it got too chilly and i can envisage many a sunny day sat in that courtyard. Idllyic setting.

Bit pricey tho but still worth the visit.
  • Meantime Indian Pale Ale 7.5% ABV (750ml) England £8.60

Kin Hell